Instrumental & vocal music

malakos

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This thread is for instrumental music and forms of vocal music that do not qualify as songs. The distinction between songs and other forms of vocal music is a bit complex, so for the purposes of this thread, I'll just say if it seems like the vocals are not the focus of the composition but are rather supporting the instrumentals, this is a fine place to share it.

A few examples of genres of music that often are not song would be classical, electronic, and soundtracks.

Look forward to listening to y'alls contributions!

malakos

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Do these qualify?

Tell me that doesn't just Force your body to move...

Yes, I would say so. Jingo seems like a good example of what I was describing of vocals that don't have much of a lyrical form and are there to support the instrumentation rather than as the centerpiece.

And yeah, it's pretty rockin'. :cool:

malakos

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Anything by Enya.

Well, her repertoire would be a good place to look. It's pretty mixed though.

Come to think of it, referencing her music could provide good examples of the categories I have in mind. Taking a look through her album Watermark:

The lead track is somewhat vocal, but is absent lyrics, so it is not a song.

"On Your Shore" is unquestionably a song. It seems to me at least half her tracks are:

"Miss Claire Remembers" is an example of strictly instrumental music:

Oh man I have so much to post on here but will put up YouTube links when I'm in front of my laptop.

Grails (I will never ever get sick of this band, Take Refuge in Clean Living was a life-changing album for me)
Snarky Puppy (the We Like it Here album is so freaking good)
Scale The Summit
Animals As Leaders (I'm still in love with the newest release, The Madness of Many)

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
It's kinda funny you posted this @malakos... I was pondering starting a similar thread the other day because I was having a think-fest alone at home while listening to music. I was jammin' a bunch of instrumental pieces and started wondering how many people who listen to music realize that a 'song' is just a poem set to music.

In my opinion, Carlos Santana is the master of instrumental music. The "Brothers" album gives me chills, forces me to dance, and brings a tear to my eye. One of the best albums of all time.