Instrumental & vocal music

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Last two:

The sound of coming home . . .

The late esteemed maestro Sergui Celibidache! To some classical music critics his tempo was often slow--or ponderous in the words of one--but he was undeniably one the twentieth-century giants. It was an era when elite conductors like a Herbert von Karajan or George Szell could reduce even a seasoned veteran musician to quivering jelly with a piercing glance or momentary glare.

This is a perfectly horrid YouTube video of one of the greatest symphonic compositions ever written from a sonic standpoint, Ottorino Respighi's tone-poem The Pines of Rome. What makes this video priceless is a ten-second span at 20:45 when two supernumerary trumpets (often flugelhorns are used for that passage) enter offstage. One musician is noticeably late and incurs the wrath of the conductor. Priceless! It is in a lead-up to a thunderous climax with Sergui Celibidache nearly going into tachycardia on the podium.

Silbot.

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The late esteemed maestro Sergui Celibidache! To some classical music critics his tempo was often slow--or ponderous in the words of one--but he was undeniably one the twentieth-century giants. It was an era when elite conductors like a Herbert von Karajan or George Szell could reduce even a seasoned veteran musician to quivering jelly with a piercing glance or momentary glare.

This is a perfectly horrid YouTube video of one of the greatest symphonic compositions ever written from a sonic standpoint, Ottorino Respighi's tone-poem The Pines of Rome. What makes this video priceless is a ten-second span at 20:45 when two supernumerary trumpets (often flugelhorns are used for that passage) enter offstage. One musician is noticeably late and incurs the wrath of the conductor. Priceless! It is in a lead-up to a thunderous climax with Sergui Celibidache nearly going into tachycardia on the podium.

I know the piece well, though not this story! :laughing:

Reactions: BillM

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Okay, I'm pushing it here...80s house music wasn't entirely instrumental, but often the vocals were just repeated phrases or samples rather than 'proper' singing so I thought I'd try slipping these in...

Reactions: Nexolaris

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A couple more house/dance ones.

"Pump Up The Volume" would have been my introduction to house/dance music. I was very young so the only music I was exposed to was on the Saturday/Sunday morning Top 40 video shows. When this hit the Aussie charts, it was completely different to anything I heard before. It blew me away and I still love it 30 years later.

I was absolutely OBSESSED with "Numero Uno" - like "PUTV", I had never heard anything like it. Pure 80's Italian house music, I still get a brain and body rush when I hear it.

Reactions: BillM and Nexolaris

Nexolaris

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
A couple more house/dance ones.

"Pump Up The Volume" would have been my introduction to house/dance music. I was very young so the only music I was exposed to was on the Saturday/Sunday morning Top 40 video shows. When this hit the Aussie charts, it was completely different to anything I heard before. It blew me away and I still love it 30 years later.

I was absolutely OBSESSED with "Numero Uno" - like "PUTV", I had never heard anything like it. Pure 80's Italian house music, I still get a brain and body rush when I hear it.

Those sample-based tracks back then that incorporated loads of different stuff were really cool. My favourite probably is "Theme From S-Express". Still as good as the first time I heard it as background music of a chartshow on the radio here.

There was a lot of good dance music coming out of Italy around 1990 (F.P.I. Project, Black Box, DNA, 49ers). It was a great time.

Reactions: willow78 and BillM

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Eurythmics - "Beethoven (I Love To Listen To)"

This is an awesome track...the video is cool too, but I can't link it (there's a young'un in it) so you'll have to make do with staring at a still-frame for 5 minutes:

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Eric B & Rakim - "Paid In Full (Seven Minutes Of Madness...The Coldcut Remix)"

This is a journey into sound!

The opening line says it all. Coldcut transformed this hip-hop track into a sample-laden house classic.
I didn't link the proper video (a few young'uns in it) so I linked this one instead:

Nexolaris

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Those sample-based tracks back then that incorporated loads of different stuff were really cool. My favourite probably is "Theme From S-Express". Still as good as the first time I heard it as background music of a chartshow on the radio here.

There was a lot of good dance music coming out of Italy around 1990 (F.P.I. Project, Black Box, DNA, 49ers). It was a great time.
I made a mistake. DNA are in fact British, don't know what I was thinking there. :blush:

@willow78 Similar in style to some of the tracks you posted recently (even using some of the same samples) is this one:

Reactions: BillM and willow78