Instruments - Learning - Playing - Etc

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_ScaredLittleBoy, Mar 13, 2007.

1. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

So, I have won a keyboard on ebay! For only £10/$18 ish

Its a Casio SA-5 Portable SongBank - anyone know if its a good/decent one?

I'm just starting out. On keyboard at school I could play Beverly Hills Cop and a few TV themes. Nothing too hard. I'd like to be able to play Sara Smile on this keyboard though. Don't see how it could be too hard, a guitar is so much harder (I think).

Anyway just wondering what people thought were easy/hard instruments to play? Does anyone play already? Thinking of playing?

Let's talk.

2. dong20

Gold Member

I played a little Saxaphone (alto) many years back, I was probably pretty bad but no one died and I enjoyed it no end. Sold it to buy a RTW air ticket and never got back into it...yet.

Best of luck..:smile:

3. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    Played the Tenor Sax all through school, but have'nt touched one in 20 years.

4. LeeEJ

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think they're all equally hard (okay, French horn and bassoon are always a pain, though...).

On piano, all you have to do is hit a key to make a sound. No worries about breath control, finger placement on a string, embochure, etc etc. But, you have eighty-eight keys to hit, sometimes ten of them at once, plus pedals. A guitar only has six strings, but it's also got all those frets and finger positions.

It's easier to make an acceptable sound on a woodwind versus a brass instrument, but there are more keys and finger combinations to remember.

Triangle is very simple. But, it's still possible to not hit it quite right, and if you're just a little bit off in tempo, everybody in the concert hall knows. Cymbals are the same way.

I think that almost all instruments are pretty even in terms of skill required. They're easy enough for someone to get started with a little training, but still complex enough for a player to spend decades mastering. And, none are so difficult that nobody can play them.

5. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

Great Highland bagpipes are pretty bad - perhaps the only instrument one has to physically fight with to play properly.

Draft saved Draft deleted