Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How I wish. My family and I have seriously considered a move out of the country before for various reasons but healthcare was high up on the list.

I'm sure you would be welcomed in the UK. :smile: Our health system certainly isn't the best - but it's better than many in my opinion. I believe that Germany conducts thorough tests of your blood and gives an in-depth examination as part of a standard check-up or visit. Here, you would have to ask for that sort of thing and waiting lists can be choking. It's still a very workable system though and you receive emergency treatment should you need it - regardless of wealth. I had hoped that with Bush out of the way, the system would have improved for you by now. I still have hope though. :smile:

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Omg, that's crazy! That much for just insurance!?

Ow shit, that's a hell-a-lot! Damn! :O

I thought you americans finally would get it a bit easier with the healthplan Obama worked for? How do you even make ends meet with those high costs!? My monthly budget (though as a student) is around 1200 dollars, and that pays my rent, electricity, broadband, dentist, contact lenses, gym membership, home & personal-insurance.. and still leaves about 450 dollars for food and other stuff. Your insurance is like my whole budget.. :S It's so awful. :(

ok...I'm moving. I work a full time job and don't even crack $1,000 a month (after taxes, and health/dental insurance). BTW my health/dental costs me around $1400 yearly (Blue Cross/Blue Shield of AL)

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Those premiums are ridiculous. In addition to having NHS I pay premiums out of my salary through work for private medical and dental care for me and my OH and it costs me £85 a month.

MrToolhung

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I would hate to be the one receiving that bill each month. When I did live in the US my portion of my health care plan was $25 dollars a month which was very cheap. Of course I had some healthy co-pays that went with the plan but it was manageable.

Now I do not pay anything anymore due to living in Canada. There are many aspects of the Canadian(Ontario) health care system that I wish were better but for not paying anything additional out of pocket I will not complain. (And it is not as bad some politicians have made it out to be South of the Border).

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Pretty much, any politician against meaningful health care reform is quick to point out the "horrors of socialized medicine." The only health advantage we garner here is general satisfaction with, you guessed it, paid-for, elective services. That satisfaction is quickly and rightfully eaten up with the gross dissatisfaction regarding preventative treatments, costs for services, procedure inflation, etc., etc.

I'm always quick to discuss with people how being from a working-poor family, we were so damn reluctant to see a doctor for anything. I only got medical treatment for rather predictable childhood ailments -- tonsilitis and such -- and after my dad dropped me from the insurance (because my parents split up), my mom couldn't afford the payments (let alone the time off work) if any of us were sick. If NyQuil and Vicks couldn't treat it, that was the best we could do.

All things considered, I'm in decent health, but I'm far from good health. And, unfortunately, health care costs being what they are and how little my health insurance actually helps me out, I'm still in a bind. I can only afford to grin and bear my way through sickness, and I think a lot of working-poor know what that feels like.

parr

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This month is Open Enrollment for my health insurance. Here's a portion of the letter from my insurance company telling me how much I'm going to have to pay. I don't get my insurance through work so I buy and pay for it on my own(sorry the pic is sideways):
Be thankful, at least you can afford insurance.