Intelligence & Sexual Desire

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why is she still in school at the age of 27?
Perhaps (like for me) school has not been her priority. I'm three years older than the woman in question. I have procrastinated as long as is scholastically possible and still have not yet fulfilled my math requirements. I have just transferred to a school in my new city, and am in fact going to have to take a remedial class since my SAT scores are 16 years old, and I have yet to add any math credits to my transcript, and I didn't remember how to do any of the trig on my placement exam.

Travel has been a priority for me. Life experience has been a priority. My ailing parents, my aging grandparents have been priorities. Searching for my brother has been a priority. Earning my own money has been a priority. Completing my degree has been an interest, not a major concern. Entering my thirties without my degree in hand has not in any way impinged on my ability to learn new things every single day, and certainly never diminished my intellect. I remain one of the brighter bulbs, one of the sharper tools, and without knowing anything else about the 27 year-old club-goer in pre-algebra, I wouldn't assume she's dim either.

I can do the math in a pre-algebra class. However, I know a woman who is MUCH smarter than I who cannot. Understanding simple algebraic equations has eluded her since middle school. Ask her to describe how the feline eye works, or why there are solar flares, or get her to disassemble and reassemble just about any machine and she can do it. I never saw any correlation between the completion of a degree (or the speed with which it was attained) and a person's intelligence. Think about every moronic boss you've ever had, and notice the framed degree in their cubicle or office. :rolleyes:

To swing this back around to the subject of the thread, she's got no sex drive, because her endocrine system is seriously fucked up. She's got no biological clock driving her either. My grandmother is no dummy, but she's not unusually brilliant either, and she told me she never had much in the way of sexual urges, and that this was a contributing factor in the demise of her marriage. A recent acquaintance of mine (who happens to be a second year law student) is one of the biggest fucking dolts I have ever encountered. (She's sweet, hard-working, and has excellent reading comprehension, but has all the sense of a box of rocks.) She definitely has a sex drive, but it does not seem unusually high to me. My mother was extremely bright, and I'm pretty sure she wanted to fuck everything that moved, and would have, if she didn't have to be my example. I myself am usually climb-the-walls eager for sex. I have a ridiculous sex drive. I don't know any honest-to-goodness stupid women. I wouldn't be able to tolerate them. Even the ditzy law-student is at least book smart.

Most of the women I have known, regardless of how their intellect compares to other women I've known, wanted regular, satisfying sex, and knew how to get it. I really don't believe there is a connection.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That sort of thing is why it's important to see initial studies, rather than just some blogger's take on the studies (which I know you know :smile:). In the initial study they may have explained all these things, or even controlled for them, but because we don't have the initial studies, we just don't know.

So true.

Perhaps I've been up too late, but I'm not sure how one would control for the effect of "feeling like a winner" when conducting studies on testosterone levels.

The link between a man's high libido and high testosterone levels has been very well established, but again, there's the problem of the chicken and the egg. If a man who is feeling low meets a gorgeous woman who adores him and fucks his brains out, is his sexual activity a result of his testosterone level? Or will his testosterone level be the result of feeling like a hot stud?

I thought I'd include some entertaining quotes regarding the effect of emotions and vicarious feelings of success or failure on testosterone levels. Some food for thought regarding the phenomenon:

Earlier studies of such a phenomenon have shown athletes themselves experience testosterone surges when they anticipate or actually win a game. But Bernhardt’s research is the first documentation of fans experiencing the same changes in body and mind. Says Bernhardt, “What we are really studying here is the fans have a personal connection to their teams.” - Players and fans can have testosterone surges

Participants provided saliva samples for testosterone assay before and after the contest. In both studies, mean testosterone level increased in the fans of winning teams and decreased in the fans of losing teams. These findings suggest that watching one's heroes win or lose has physiological consequences that extend beyond changes in mood and self-esteem. - Testosterone changes during vicarious experiences ... [Physiol Behav. 1998] - PubMed result

Put a man in a high status car, and his hormonal response will correspond to a social win (T levels go up subsequent to a competitive win). Place him in a "beta" car, and his tail will be between his legs (T levels go down subsequent to a competitive loss). Furthermore, the changes in testosterone levels should be more pronounced as a function of whether the drive takes place in a public or private setting. The results largely bore our expectations. Fathers-to-be: Drive a Porsche Daily…Doctor’s Orders!

Last edited:

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Travel has been a priority for me. Life experience has been a priority. My ailing parents, my aging grandparents have been priorities. Searching for my brother has been a priority. Earning my own money has been a priority. Completing my degree has been an interest, not a major concern. Entering my thirties without my degree in hand has not in any way impinged on my ability to learn new things every single day, and certainly never diminished my intellect. I remain one of the brighter bulbs, one of the sharper tools, and without knowing anything else about the 27 year-old club-goer in pre-algebra, I wouldn't assume she's dim either.

I'm not sure what the situation is the US, but here it is pretty common for people to decide to go and get a degree long after they've left school. Most (maybe all) uni's have special methods of entrance for 'mature age students'. At my uni, mature age students may in fact outnumber the young ones. We have people who have had different priorities earlier in life, people who COULDN'T go to uni earlier (for whatever reason), people who are looking to change careers. The list of reasons they became a mature age student is endless.

Perhaps I've been up too late, but I'm not sure how one would control for the effect of "feeling like a winner" when conducting studies on testosterone levels.

Hmm . . . I save that kind of thinking for assignment time :tongue:

Not sure they could control for it as such, but maybe they could have questions regarding confidence in intimate situations, sexual ability, comfort levels with others and with obtaining a new partner, etc. And before anyone says it, I know there are serious flaws with that, but I'm not wasting Fun Time on thinking!

I thought I'd include some entertaining quotes regarding the effect of emotions and vicarious feelings of success or failure on testosterone levels. Some food for thought regarding the phenomenon:

Girl, you have WAY too much energy!

THEDUDEofDestiny

Experimental Member
Media
Do you really think anyone is going to post that they are thick as two short planks, or shit in bed?

Even if they know one (or both) of those things are true, they're hardly going to announce it on the internet.

So the thread will naturally attract the intelligent people who are good in bed (or think they are), and people who screw intelligent people who are good in bed.

im pretty sure it will mostly just attract people who think highly of themselves. usually without reason

tgirlsrgreat

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
man the worst thing about these threads, apart from the op of course, is that everyone posting in the thread identifies themselves as an intelligent person
and we are, thank goodness we have you for a counter balance.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Do you really think anyone is going to post that they are thick as two short planks, or shit in bed?

Even if they know one (or both) of those things are true, they're hardly going to announce it on the internet.

So the thread will naturally attract the intelligent people who are good in bed (or think they are), and people who screw intelligent people who are good in bed.

Which would be the reason I said I do not base intelligence on standard education. I am artistic, it doesn't mean I fit into a little brown box.

I also said highly sexual. I didn't remark on how good I thought I was in bed, frankly it's just not anyone's business. :cool:

B_blessed boy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
no relation........and even if a girl didnt start out with a high drive i find that enough good dick and she'll start to be the one pushing to get sexed up ^_^

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Which would be the reason I said I do not base intelligence on standard education. I am artistic, it doesn't mean I fit into a little brown box.

I also said highly sexual. I didn't remark on how good I thought I was in bed, frankly it's just not anyone's business. :cool:

I don't tend to base intelligence on education either, although results in education are easy proof of at least one kind of intelligence. I actually believe in multiple intelligences.

Empathizer

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
No. Speeds up when I get my period.

It's like a little puppy, in that it constantly begs for attention, makes me wet with its slobberings, and occasionally just has to be petted until its leg shakes and it falls asleep.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

It's like a little puppy, in that it constantly begs for attention, makes me wet with its slobberings, and occasionally just has to be petted until its leg shakes and it falls asleep.

ROFLMAO :biggrin1:

Woman, stop speaking! I find myself having to say 'Emp's descriptions are brilliant' all too often. I feel like a broken record :biggrin1:

tgirlsrgreat

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response

:clap:

RawDog

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Our dogs need to have a playdate!

D_Myer_Dogasflees

Experimental Member
Media
perhaps the more intelligent, the deeper(more sentient/complex) the desire, for this reason they are more shy.

no idea, however smarter does not equate to having less taste in sex, perhaps only a deeper one. They are seeking the gems, not just the typical round the corner whore.

cece

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There seems to be a confusion in this thread between sexual desire (horniness) and sexual activity. I don't view them as the same - you can be damn bloody horny, but you may not necessarily go out and find a partner to do something about it with. So high sexual desire does not necessarily equal high sexual activity (with people). For example, a super intelligent geek could have off-the-roof crazy sexual desires but may not have the confidence to express his desires with men/women.He could have wild solo sex, but does this make him less sexual???

Well, assuming that Incocknito's question is about sexual desire, then no, I don't think there is a correlation here.

There are just too many factors at play (physical/hormonal/psychological health) to assume that intelligence alone has such a great bearing on libido.

Women and men who possess emotional intelligence are the sexiest and most interesting to me.

Mmmmm....Yes, I absolutely agree here! Sometimes I think IQs are over-rated. High EQs in my opinion are a much more valued asset to have in all interactions with people, be it personal or work.

Gene Expression: Intercourse and Intelligence

Proof that I wasn't "stereotyping" for the politically correct a-holes.

"people have a delayed onset of sexual behavior...they also have a lower number of premarital sex partners throughout adulthood (18-39)"

"intelligence correlates with less sex within marriage"

Suggesting a decrease in sexual desire

"So intelligent people have lower libidos"

"And two new papers suggest that testosterone may depress IQ"

So while increased testosterone seems to reduce IQ (therefore making people less intelligent to some degree), testosterone increases sexual desire.

I wouldn't put a lot of weight on this study either - as we all know, all polls and scientific research can be misguided to present a particular view of a researcher. The assumption that increased testosterone increases sexual desire does not seem to be correct in my case too (I don't know if that's applicable to a woman too). I was diagnosed with elevated of testosterone, which according to this theory, should make me super horny. But I found that my libido had actually decreased. When my testosterone levels went back to normal, I found my sexual desires surging again.