Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
OK guys for a bunch of guys around here the issue is LOSING weight I know- but for me I've been working out for about a year, and I'm definately seeing progress, however it's slow and steady.

I've got quite a fast metabolism that will just burn off whatever I eat- and so I've added Myoplex shakes (40G protein) and Isopure juices (40G protien) to my daily diet (in addition to other meals.) A buddy just suggested that I really lay off of the aerobic workouts in order to cut any reduction of stored fat on my body- which is quite low- but I really need to keep up the activity to reduce high cholesterol.

SO does anyone have any secrets for putting on weight that will be useful for muscle mass at the gym? I'm already working the Whey protein powders and that kind of thing- I'm talking about other strategies for lean guys who are really trying to bulk. I'm doing the work at the gym 3 or 4 days a week- so anything that I add to the diet will definately be used to add muscle and not fat... so any suggestions from guys who have got great "health food/ nutrition" secrets for adding weight would be appreciated.

I appreciate my natural lean size, I'm just working on adding 15-20 lbs of muscle to my frame.

IchWill69

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'm in the same boat.

Swimming defintely helps as a substitute for other cardio activity like running for me. Also do cardio first before weight lifting. Your body will need about one gram of protien per pound of weight that you have now to see real gains. Make sure you also get a full eight hours of sleep every night.

Also if you're not already split up your routine so that you're only doing about two muscles groups per day.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I put on 10+ pounds of muscle last year. I counted my Calories each day (about 3800) and tried to get 200 grams of protein spread out throughout each day. I lifted weights 4 days each week. I was also worried about putting on fat instead of muscle, so I made sure whenever my weight went up a couple pounds that there was a corresponding jump in strength during my workout.

Two things I discovered by tracking what I ate: About 2 days per week I would hardly get any protein, like about only 100 grams. I would not spread the protein intake throughout each day. So I corrected both of these.

My diet is always right around 25% of calories from fat. It can be hard to get lots of calories and keep the fat content down.

I didn't do a lot of cardio last year, but did take a nice bike ride about once a week (15-30 miles).

I also started doing a few more weight exercises during the last year. So I was pretty serious about getting to 210 lbs. last year. Now I'm relaxing a bit and just maintaining for a few months

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yeah, I've got the same probelm. I'm 182cm and didn't break 60kgs until I was 25. I found that diet modification was the most important element. I was working out four days a week doing only resistance and then biking around everywhere to keep my heart healthy and cholesterol down. I wasn't getting anywhere and worried it was the biking, but I didn't want to give it up because if I had the choice between all-around fit and cut, I'd take fit.

Then I looked at my diet, and I just was not getting enough protein spread out through the day. I changed that (30g 4x a day and 10-15g snacks 3x a day) and started gaining. It's not quick - my metabolism is still the same - but it works.

By the way, if anyone knows a good protein supplement for the lactose intolerant I'd be much obliged. I can't have most whey proteins so I'm taking a vegan protein supplement. It's great except that it tastes like frothy chalk, and adding any kind of flavour to it only makes it taste like flavoured frothy chalk.

systemshock3

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Yeah, I've got the same probelm. I'm 182cm and didn't break 60kgs until I was 25. I found that diet modification was the most important element. I was working out four days a week doing only resistance and then biking around everywhere to keep my heart healthy and cholesterol down. I wasn't getting anywhere and worried it was the biking, but I didn't want to give it up because if I had the choice between all-around fit and cut, I'd take fit.

Then I looked at my diet, and I just was not getting enough protein spread out through the day. I changed that (30g 4x a day and 10-15g snacks 3x a day) and started gaining. It's not quick - my metabolism is still the same - but it works.

By the way, if anyone knows a good protein supplement for the lactose intolerant I'd be much obliged. I can't have most whey proteins so I'm taking a vegan protein supplement. It's great except that it tastes like frothy chalk, and adding any kind of flavour to it only makes it taste like flavoured frothy chalk.

LOLZ. It depends. If you want a great tasting, Lactose-Intolerant Whey protein POWDER, I will recommend any of the ISOPURE flavors or Muscle Milk (Had NO stomach issues with the ISOPURE). Muscle Milk has the BEST TASTING, Lactose-free PREMADE shakes (mmm, Banana Cream), and those are what I buy and drink, as I can have them anywhere I travel, and can grab one to drink during meetings and such.

In regards to the hard-gainers, it really is quite simple, if going the natural route:

There are some decent calculations online for calculating your resting metabolic rate. This will let you know what your caloric intake range needs to be..but the simple truth is that you DO need more calories (lean, clean calories) coming in than going out.

However, your lifting is going to need to be changed up. The good news is that you can go back to a simple, 3 day/week lifting routine, focusing on fewer sets of much heavier weights. The 3 days per week will be needed because you are going to be REALLY breaking your muscles down with the heavier weights and your body will need the extra recovery time to build/repair muscle and connective tissues.

I am not a hard gainer, but I have issues keeping water/fat off areas I don't want them :). The above worked well for an ex of mine that was also a hard-gainer like yourself :)

jnp

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I have the same prob..I only weigh 145, and would like to get to 160, without adding it in my stomach and ass lol.

D_Jurgen Klitgaard

Account Disabled
Media
I started working out the other day and I would like to gain as well. I'm not sure how hard it will be for me to gain muscle because I literally have no fat on me, but I definitely want to stick with it and gain more weight.

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
Are you doing squats with heavy weight? They tend to bulk you up.
Dave

Great advice. The basic, multi-joint exercises with lots of weight are great for building mass. I do these for a few weeks at the start of each cycle (I cycle 3 times per year.)

The bench press is also great for mass building (triceps and chest). For biceps I do pullups instead of curls since they are tougher. I actually only do 12 different exercises while bulking up.

Squat 'till you puke.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Great advice. The basic, multi-joint exercises with lots of weight are great for building mass. I do these for a few weeks at the start of each cycle (I cycle 3 times per year.)

The bench press is also great for mass building (triceps and chest). For biceps I do pullups instead of curls since they are tougher. I actually only do 12 different exercises while bulking up.

Squat 'till you puke.
You're biceps look great...but pull ups are NOT an arm exercise.....the main muscle worked is your lats:
A pull-up is an upper body compound pulling exercise where the body is suspended by extended arms, then pulled up until the elbows are bent and the head is higher than the hands, utilizing an overhand (pronated) grip. The exercise targets mainly the Latissimus Dorsi muscle in the back along with many other assisting muscles.‎ Pull-ups are similar to chin-ups, which are distinct due to the underhand (supinated) grip. Pull-ups or chin-ups are required to complete the physical fitness test for the United States Marine Corps.[1]

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
Hey Industrial,

Thanks for the compliment. Actually I should have said that I do chin-ups and not pull-ups. They are great for my lats, but I find that I also get an awesome bicep workout from supinated chin-ups. For me they are as good as curls. I avoid isolations like curls when I'm bulking up so I stick with chin-ups with my elbows in.

Try them then tell me that you don't get a bicep burn.

Here's an article on using chin-ups for building biceps: Unleashing The Chin Up Exercise! - eBicep.com

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
LOLZ. It depends. If you want a great tasting, Lactose-Intolerant Whey protein POWDER, I will recommend any of the ISOPURE flavors or Muscle Milk (Had NO stomach issues with the ISOPURE). Muscle Milk has the BEST TASTING, Lactose-free PREMADE shakes (mmm, Banana Cream), and those are what I buy and drink, as I can have them anywhere I travel, and can grab one to drink during meetings and such.

Thanks! I'll definitely check it out.