Interesting article...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Blocko, May 25, 2007.

1. Blocko

Blocko Member

2. amiegrrl

amiegrrl New Member

LOL .... Wow.

3. dong20

Gold Member

*** BOOM ***

4. D_Tintagel_Demondong

So it's true after all. I thought it was just an urban legend. It seems to be a valid study with multiple controls and a decent sample of almost 300 girls. I can see a new natural treatment for depression on the horizon.

5. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Funny how they don't mention those who ingest it.

I may be going out on a flimsy limb here but is there a correlation between risk takers in general (sky divers, bungee jumpers) and lower levels of depression. Or at least elevated levels of endorphins.

"Hmm, I could die doing this" = "Wheeeeeee!"

6. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    So why don't they just go ahead and announce "The HELL with safe sex, STD's and protection. Hey, at least you won't feel as depressed sitiing in the Dr's waiting room, waiting for your prescriptions:rolleyes:

7. Blocko

Blocko Member

Agreement on that one here :smile:. Also, it might be more related to anxiety... those who use condoms are the ones who worry more and think about the bad consequences of their actions.

8. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    So that's why it tastes kinda salty.

9. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

As usual in P.T., the causality problems appear obvious to all but the hardy researchers themselves. In this case, do low rates of condom use cause low rates of depression, or do low rates of depression cause low rates of condom use? Chronic failure to consider that possibility is what distinguishes Psychology Today from, say, The Onion.

10. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Or whether similar effects can be observed in men.

11. dong20

Gold Member

Perhaps non use of condoms suggests that they are in committed long term relationships, which is what reduces depression?

Or, perhaps those using condoms are in the dating or shorter term relationships arena and perhaps that potential insecurity raises their succeptability to depression?

Were the women chosen at random, is their age (college age?) a factor...or were they selected based on some, unstated criteria?

"Gallup controlled for variables including method of contraception, frequency of sexual intercourse, as well as the women's perception of their relationship"

Hmmmm. In a scientific study can one accurately control for 'perception'?

I'm not trying to knock it fpr the sake of it and it's interesting but for me, without any bio information - it's really just that, a data correlation.

12. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Brilliant point. I hadn't even considered that.

13. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

Heck, the thought of having a kid probably drives most men to suicide!

14. hawkgirl

hawkgirl New Member

Albums:
    "semen withdrawal" places women at an increased risk for depression when they are premenstrual, menopausal or have just given birth, as many women abstain from sex during these periods."

Can't say I agree with that.

Many women get horny when they are premenstraul and during their cycle. I know that I am horny when I am premunstrual. I don't know about the semen factor, sounds kinds silly to me. I find that anytine I want it and I ain't getting it I amgoing to have a change in mood. I get pissed and frusterated from the lack of dick in my life. HAHA. Sex is an anxiety reliever for most. I don't think semen soaking into the vaginal walls has much to do with it.
    As far as women breaking up and being quicker to find another partner....
    Some of the best advice I ever got was, "The best way to get over a guy is to find a new one!"
    May be jacked up but kinda true. Atleast you have something to take your mind off of what is depressing you.

15. whatireallywant

Gold Member

I'm definitely horny when I'm premenstrual.

I find much of psychology research to be flawed anyway, and I was a psychology major in college! I think that's the reason I decided to go into computer programming instead. Not so many outside factors that can be a cause of something. If the program doesn't work, there is a definite cause (although it can sometimes be hard to find!) With human behavior, there could be any number of different causes (or combinations thereof).

Draft saved Draft deleted