Interesting male celeb photos(two best friend combo)

LoneWolf10

Experimental Member
Media
Four more gay-themed movies with couples:

First is "Get Real" about Steven Carter (Ben Silverstone), a gay 16-year-old in a middle class English suburb. He plans to come out to his parents and perhaps at school. But his big problem is that he fancies jock John Dixon (Brad Gorton), a rich hunk who seems out of his league. However, an encounter in a public toilet reveals that John may be gay and the two of them must deal with this knowledge. What seems like a dream come true for Steven is a nightmare for John, and the stakes are raised when Steven submits an anonymous essay to the school magazine about being gay. The film is similar to "Beautiful Thing",and was adapted by Patrick Wilde from his play "What's Wrong With Angry?"

Second is "Making Love", about married doctor Zach Elliot (Michael Ontkean) who becomes gay when novelist Bart McGuire (Harry Hamlin) becomes his patient and then lover. His wife Claire (Kate Jackson) is shocked. This is one of the first Hollywood movies to take a postive view of homosexuality.

Third is "Longtime Companion", the first narrative film to put a human face on the AIDS epidemic. It's a drama about the interconnected lives of 7 gays in NYC in the early 1980's, and takes an unflinching look at the reality of the disease. The fine cast includes Campbell Scott (Willy), Patrick Cassidy (Howard), and John Dosset (Paul).

Last is "Adam and Steve", a movie about movies. It takes the romantic comedy genre and shows how a straight couple is similar and different compared to a gay couple. Teen-age Goth couple Adam Bernstein (Craig Chester) and Rhonda (Parker Posey) are at a club where Adam meets a gay dancer and they have sex. Years later he meets veterinarian Steve Hicks (Malcolm Gets) and they fall in love. Eventually he realizes that Steve is the gay dancer, and ends the relationship. The film deals with univeral themes, and is not a political or issue movie, or about being gay.

Attachments

LoneWolf10

Experimental Member
Media
Lone Wolf Movie Review:

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) * * *

Tim Curry stars as Dr. Frank-N-Furter, "a sweet transvestite from Transsexual Transylvania" in this kinky sci-fi/horror cult musical comedy. It is based on a flop stage musical and is narrated and commented on by the Criminologist (Charles Gray)

The Criminologist: "I would like, if I may, to take you on a strange journey....Crawling, on the planet's face...some insects, called the Human Race. Lost in Time, and lost in space... and in meaning."

Brad Majors (Barry Bostwick) and Janet Weiss (Susan Sarandon), a normal couple, are stranded in a rain storm and take refuge in an isolated creepy old castle filled with degenerate weirdos. Handyman Riff-Raff (Richard O'Brien) invites them in and they spend the night.

Janet: "Brad, please, let's get out of here."
Brad: "For Godssakes, keep a grip on it, Janet."
Janet: "But it seems so unhealthy here."
Brad: "It's just a party, Janet."
Janet: "Well, I wanna go!"
Brad: "Well we can't go back to the car unless we get to a phone."
Janet: "Well ask the butler or someone!"
Brad: "Just a moment, Janet. We don't want to interfere with their celebration."
Janet: "This isn't the Junior Chamber of Commerce, Brad!"

The engaged couple try to cope with the madness, which centres on Frank N. Furter's experiment with creating Rocky Horror (Peter Hinwood)--a blond homoerotic muscular boytoy. Frank says, "So come up to the lab, and see what's on the slab. I see you shiver with antici...pation"

Magenta (Patricia Quinn) and Riff-Raff remove the couple's wet clothes and give them lab coats. Frank animates the body of Rocky, who "is good for releaving my tension". Eddie (Meat Loaf) emerges from a freezer storage vault on a motorcycle. Half of his brain is now in Rocky's head. Frank murders Eddie with a pickaxe, then after a bridal procession takes Rocky to his boudoir.

Frank-N-Furter: "It was strange the way it happened. Suddenly... you get a break! All of the pieces seem to fit into place. What a sucker you've been, what a fool. The answer was there all the time. It took a small aciddent to make it happen. An Accident. And that is how I discovered the secret. That elusive ingredient, that... spark that is the breath of life... yes I have that knowledge! I hold the key to life...itself!"

Later that night, Frank disguises himself as Brad and has sex with Janet. Then he disguises himself as Janet and has sex with Brad. Magenta and Riff-Raff watch the seductions on TV monitors, then torment Rocky. Janet sees Rocky crying and seduces him. Dr. Everett Von Scott (Jonathan Adams), Brad's former science teacher and Eddie's uncle, pays an unexpected visit. During an awkward dinner, Dr. Scott says he has come for Eddie. Frank reveals that Eddie was the main course of their meal.

The Criminologist: (reading from dictionary) "Emotion: Agitation or disturbance of mind; vehement or excited mental state. It is also a powerful and irrational monster. And from what Magenta and Columbia eagerly viewed on their television monitor, there seemed little doubt that Janet was, indeed... its slave."

There is a chase scene around the castle with all the main characters. It ends in the lab where Frank uses a "Medusa Ray" to turn them into statues. Frank dresses them for a show, releases them from suspended animation, and they perform a cabaret act. Then they plunge into a swimming pool.

Magenta and Riff-Raff arrive and announce they are returning to planet Transsexual in the galaxy Transylvania without Frank, whom they kill with a ray gun. The castle blasts off, taking Magenta and Riff-Raff back to Transsexual. Brad, Janet, and Dr. Scott are left lying in an empty field where the castle once stood.

Also in the cast are: Nell Campbell (Columbia), Jeremy Newson (Ralph Hapschatt), Hilary Labow (Betty Munroe Hapschatt), Gina Barrie (Bridesmaid), Petra Leah (Bridesmaid), Koo Stark (Bridesmaid), and Frank Lester (wedding father). The Transylvanians are played by: Perry Bedden, Chrisopher Biggins, Gaye Brown, Ishaq Bux, Stephen Calcutt, Hugh Cecil, Imogen Claire, Tony Cowan, Sadie Corre, Fran Fullenwider, Lindsay Ingram, Peggy Ledger, Annabel Milner, Pamela Obermeyer, Tony Then, Kimi Wong, Rufus Collins, and Henry Wolf. The script is by Jim Sharman and Richard O'Brien. Music and lyrics are by Richard O'Brien. Tim Sharman directed.

The first two songs are first-rate: "Time Warp" and "Sweet Transvestite". The many other songs are mediocre at best, and only serve to advance the plot. This is usual for musicals, which generally have only one or two good songs. People who listen to the second-rate songs repeatedly become familiar with them and enjoy them--but they're still crap. The other songs are: "Science Fiction - Double Feature"; "Dammit, Janet"; "Over at the Frankenstein Place"; "The Sword of Damocles"; "I Can Make You a Man"; "Hot Patootie"; "Once in a While" (cut from film); "Touch-a, Touch-a, Touch-a Touch Me"; "Eddie's Teddy"; "Planet Schmanet Janet"; "Don't Dream It, Be It"; "Wild and Untamed Thing"; "I'm Going Home"; and "Superheroes".

The Criminologist: "It's just a jump to the left."
Everybody: " And then a step to the right!"
The Criminologist: "With your hands on your hips"
Everybody:
"You bring your knees in tight!
But it's the pelvic thrust
That really drives you insane
Let's do the time warp again!"

The lips in the opening song "Science Fiction - Double Feature" belong to Patricia Quinn and the singing is by Richard O'Brien, who actually wrote the original stageplay and also the terrible spin-off sequel movie. Tim Curry originally auditioned for the role of Rocky by singing Little Richard's song "Tootie Fruity". Director Jim Sharman was so impressed he cast him as Dr. Frank-N-Furter.

THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW was one of the first movies to be shown at special Midnight screenings. It quickly developed a phenomenal subculture of audience participation. Patrons dressed up as their favorite characters, spoke and sang along with the movie sound track, tossed popcorn around the theatre, and so on. This film is fast paced, trashy, weird, subversive, and great fun. It's certainly not for everybody, and for some it is probably more entertaining in a theatre as a participation movie.

Quotes from Tim Curry:

"One of the best things that ever happened to me was ROCKY HORROR being a total flop in New York as a play. I mean, it was a disaster, and it was the night of the long knives as far as the critics were concerned."

"I'm proud of that character (Frank-N-Furter). I have no intention of disowning it. There's no point in saying, 'I'm not the Fonz.' And I did it for so long. At the beginning, it was just another play, the fifth I was doing at that theater (The Royal Shakespeare Company). It just clicked and went on and took so long to surface as a film. Now it's a minor religion. I don't think you can worry too much about how the public sees you."

"I don't really think THE ROCKY HORROR SHOW has typecast me. That was a long time ago and I have done a lot since then. But there are a lot of people who seem to associate me only with that project."

"I ran up and down ladders in high heels." (for ROCKY HORROR)

"I did that show (ROCKY HORROR) forever. I did six months in London, six months in L.A., and then I did the movie, and then a couple of months in New York. It was enough ... The cult thing has always been a bit peculiar to me, because it's so much more here than it is in England. It's always bewildering to me again when I first come back to America. "Rocky" acolytes still try and get in touch with me. But people don't go through my garbage anymore, or line up in front of the apartment building."

(Speaking to a crowd at a ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW convention)
"It's so comforting to know that there are so many people in this world sicker than I am."

The semi-sequel to ROCKY HORROR is the seldom-seen SHOCK TREATMENT (1981). Basically it's an inferor rip-off of part of MELVIN AND HOWARD (1980), about TV game shows. SHOCK TREATMENT has the same director, and some of the same cast from ROCKY HORROR. The dreadful music sounds identical to ROCKY, with the same production. Brad and Janet (played by different actors) are trapped on a TV game show and try to escape. Do yourself a favour and don't get trapped in this horrible movie. There's no escaping the fact that it's so bad it's unwatchable.

Attachments

Last edited:

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
By the way, would it okay if I post as well, LoneWolf10? You get some major props, though, but could I be in part of the fun?

LoneWolf10

Experimental Member
Media

First is "Parting Glances", about Michael (Richard Ganoung) and Robert (John Bolger), a gay couple in NYC who separate because Robert is leaving for Africa for 2 years. This acclaimed independent drama is an honest portrayal of 1980's gay life. It was the only film made by writer/director Bill Sherwood, with a budget of "$300,000. He died in 1990. The movie was shot mainly in his apartment and the actors wore their own clothes.

Second is "Party Monster", set in the NYC club scene of the 1990's. It's about the rise and fall of club-kid promoter Michael Alig (Macauley Culkin), the real-life gay king of New York's "Club Kids," a group of young carousers who ruled the city's nightlife in the late '80s and early '90s. Alig's saga reached its tragic end when he murdered his live-in drug dealer, Angel Melendez (Wilson Cruz), by injecting him with Drano and throwing him in the East River.

Third is "The Sum of Us", an Australian film about father Harry (Jack Thmpson) and son Jeff (Russel Crowe) who have an unconventional bond. Harry is excessively open-minded about his uncloseted son's unsuccessful search for love. This gay comedy originated as a stage play, and the characters sometimes speak directly to the camera. To some extent it's a one-joke movie about the father's tiresome and unwelcome enthusiasm for his son's sex life.

Last is "Big Eden", about NYC artist Henry Hart (Arye Gross), who returns to Big Eden, a tiny town in Montana to care for his ailing grandfather. Complications arise when Dean Stewart (Tim DeKay), his old flame enters the picture. Henry left Big Eden 20 years ago because of Dean, and his unrequited love is now stronger. But Pike Dexter (Eric Schweig) complicates this quirky gay love story further.

Attachments

Reactions: maus77 and Tintinuk

LoneWolf10

Experimental Member
Media
elegant 20: By the way, would it okay if I post as well, LoneWolf10? You get some major props, though, but could I be in part of the fun?

LoneWolf10: Are you kidding? It's YOUR thread, and this is a lot of time-consuming WORK! I should have started my own gay movie thread, but it's too late now. We need more contributions from others.

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Sure. I let you, LoneWolf10. I'll try to find some pics. I'll give you the throne, anyway. I'll have to see that Diagnosis Murder pic with Barry Van Dyke(son of Dick Van Dyke) giving a shoulder message to Scott. I wondered what magical hands he had that felt so good? :tongue:

LoneWolf10

Experimental Member
Media

First is "Torch Song Trilogy" a comedy/drama about Arnold Beckoff (Harvey Fierstein), a middle-aged gay man in NYC who falls in love with handsome ex-hustler Alan Simon (Mathew Broderick). The two start a relationship, but tragedy intervenes, destroying the couple's hope for happiness. He has a stormy relationship with his mother (Anne Bancroft, who steals the show), and hopes to adopt a son. This excellent film has nothing but rave reviews.

Second is "Kiss of the Spider Woman", about 2 men in a Latin American prison cell. Valentin (Raul Julia) is a straight bearded revolutionary political activist and Molina (William Hurt) is an effeminate gay imprisoned for seducing a minor. Eventually they have sex, but most of the time Molina tells stories about tacky Hollywood movies, especially his fondly remembered Nazi Propaganda film, which Valentin detests. Both acting performances are superb, and Hurt won a well-deserved Oscar. The film is an adaptation of Manuel Puig's highly regarded novel.

Third is "24 Nights" about Jonathan Parker (Kevin Isola), who has always believed in Santa Claus. Now 24, he is a pot-head college drop-out working in a NYC gay bookstore who is a loser at love. He writes a letter to Santa then meets Toby (David Burtka), winner of the local "wet underwear" contest, but has to fight to get him. As Christmas approaches, Toby realizes Santa doesn't always deliver what boys want, he delivers what they deserve.

Last is "200 American" about Conrad (Matt Walton), a (surprise! surprise!) gay man living in NYC. He is a CEO of an ad agency and a control freak. He hires then falls in love with hustler Tyler/Ian (Sean Matic). It gets complicated as Conrad tries to make up with Martin (John-Dylan Howard), and Tyler falls for Michael (Anthony Ames), his supervisor at Conrad's company. The soundtrack music is horrible, incessant, annoying pop music from the same composer. But it's a fun gay movie, much more than the typical "gay falls for a hustler" film.

Attachments

LoneWolf10

Experimental Member
Media
Lone Wolf Movie Review:

Suddenly Last Summer (1959) * * 2/3

In New Orleans in 1937, wealthy matriarch Mrs. Violet Venable (Katharine Hepburn) will fund a hospital if Dr. Cukrowicz (Montgomery Clift) will perform a lobotomy on her niece Catherine Holly (Elizabeth Taylor). Debutante Catherine had a nervous breakdown after the death of Sebastian Venable, Violet's poet son, while the two were vacationing in Europe. Mrs. Venable wants the lobotomy performed to stop Catherine from revealing the horrible truth about Sebastian's death. Dr. Cukrowicz knows Catherine is sane and helps her remember the circumstances of Sebastian's death.

Mrs. Venable explains: "Strictly speaking, his life was his occupation. Yes, yes, Sebastian was a poet. That's what I meant when I said his life was his work because the work of a poet is the life of a poet, and vice versa, the life of a poet is the work of a poet. I mean, you can't separate them. I mean, a poet's life is his work, and his work is his life in a special sense."

Catherine Holly asks, "Is that what love is? Using people? And maybe that's what hate is--not being able to use people."

The film ends with Catherine explaining at length the bizarre murder of homosexual Sebastian. While at a Spanish coastal resort the previous summer, he used her to lure young boys just as his mother used to do. But the boys turned on Sebastian and murdered him. Catherine watched his body being cannibalized by the boys and hysterically explains, "He...he was lying naked on the broken stones...and this you won't believe! Nobody, nobody, nobody could believe it! It looked as if...as if they had devoured him!...As if they'd torn or cut parts of him away with their hands, or with knives, or those jagged cans they made music with. As if they'd torn bits of him away in strips!"

Mrs. Venable completely cracks up and takes her antique elevator upstairs, cheerfully in her own demented fantasy world. Catherine is cured and speaks the film's last lines, "She's here, Doctor, Miss Catherine's here."

The cast also includes: Albert Dekker (Dr. Lawrence J. Hockstader), Mercedes McCambridge (Mrs. Grace Holly), Gary Raymond (George Holly), Mavis Villiers (Miss Foxhill), Patricia Marmont (Nurse Benson), Joan Young (Sister Felicity), Maria Britneva (Lucy), Sheila Robbins (Dr. Hockstader's secretary), Eddie Fisher (street urchin), David Cameron, Frank Marlo, Beatrice Shaw, Gore Vidal, Ian Wilson, and Roberta Wooley. Music is by Malcolm Arnold and Buxton Orr. Joseph L. Mankiewicz directed.

This movie is a shocking, lurid, and talky cleaned-up adaptation of Tennessee Williams 1957 one-act play, scripted by Williams and Gore Vidal. Williams was undergoing anti-gay psychiatric "therapy" when he wrote the play, and it certainly shows in the movie. The overall tone is neurotic, almost hysterical, regarding the inferred and ambiguous homosexuality of Sebastian. Cannibalism, prostitution, incest, and paedophilia are toned down in the film version. It's a creepy melodrama/thriller, somewhat of a murder mystery that is compelling and fascinating, but sometimes tedious. The movie takes too long to reach its revelation. Hepburn, Taylor, and Clift give excellent performances.

Two years previously Montgomery Clift had a near-fatal car accident and Elizabeth Taylor saved his life. Director Joseph L. Mankiewicz treated Clift very badly during the filming of SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER. When the movie was finished, Katharine Hepburn asked Mankiewicz for confirmation that the film was indeed completed, then she spat in his face.

SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER (1992) is a TV movie produced for PBS. Maggie Smith plays Violet Venable, Rob Lowe is very good as the psychiatrist, and Natasha Richardson plays Catherine. This one is simply an accurate film version of Tennessee Williams' one-act play.

Attachments

Last edited:

LoneWolf10

Experimental Member
Media

First is "Adored" an Italian film ("Poco più di un anno fa") about Riki Kandinksy (Marco Filiberti), Italy's top gay porn star. At 29 and after 11 years in the business he is rich, loves his work, enjoys casual sex, but leads a solitary life. According to Riki, he's had more than 600 men and only 4 women. His older brother Federico (Urbano Barberini) visits when his father dies, and Riki has a great desire to help an orphaned child. Set in the south of France, the 2 brothers return to their family castle and witness their mother die in an accident. 14 years later there is a resolution of sorts.

Second is "Advise & Consent", partly about closeted gay Senator Brigham Anderson (Don Murray) who is blackmailed for political purposes. In the film, a homosexual affair in Hawaii with a wartime service buddy makes the senator vulnerable. Director Otto Preminger seems unaware that the stereotyped caricaturing of the gayness in "Advise & Consent" was the very kind of witch-hunting hysteria he thought he was decrying. The message seems to be the senator can be queer and still go to Washington, but is better off staying in the closet. The 1962 film is based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning 1959 novel of the same name by Allen Drury.

Third is "All Over the Guy", a romantic comedy about Eli Wyckoff (Dan Bucatinsky) and Tom (Richard Ruccolo), who meet on a blind date set up by friends. They do everything they can not to fall in love, but as the comedy of errors rolls along, everyone can clearly see that they are made for each other.

Last is "All the Rage" about Christopher Bedford (John-Michael Lander), a handsome, rich gay man every guy in Boston wants. At 31 he's celebrating his greatness without realizing what a mess he has become. Things change when he meets Stewart (David Vincent). It's a satire on the shallow twinks and gym bunnies, but the acting is not very good and the film is quite tame. However, some viewers think it is very funny, and an accurate look at gay life in the big city.

Attachments

Last edited:

LoneWolf10

Experimental Member
Media

First is "Boyfriends", about 3 gay couples who get together at the home of Paul (James Dreyfus) during a tragicomic Easter week-end. Paul is with Ben (Mark Sands), his companion of five years, and Matt (Michael Urwin) brings Owen (Andrew Ableson), whom he's dated for three months and wants to live with. Will (David Coffey) brings Adam (Daren Petrucci), a 20-year old one-night stand, to meet "happy, well-adjusted homosexuals." As the 6 men, joined by Mark's lover James (Michael McGrath), sort through their own relationships as well as new ones begun during the weekend, happiness and being well-adjusted prove elusive.

Second is "Happy Together", a Chinese film ("Chun Gwong Cha Sit") about Lai Yiu-Fai (Tony Leung) and Ho Po-Wing (Leslie Cheung), a pair of gay lovers living out the waning days of their relationship as expatriates in Buenos Aires. Leung and Cheung are 2 of Hong Kong's biggest movie stars. Winner of the Best Director Prize at the 1997 Cannes Film Festival, Wong Kar-Wai's "Happy Together" is a cinematic balancing act, a great display of filmmaking style and a love story mixed into one film.

Third is "Chicken Tikka Masalla" about Jimi Chopra (Chris Bisson), a doctor in Lancashire, England and the only son of Indian immigrants. When his parents arrange his marriage to a young woman from their home village, he hasn't the courage to tell them that he's already in love with Jack (Peter Ash), a man they think is his best friend. To queer the wedding, Jack's niece Hannah (Katy Clayton) tells the bride-to-be that she's Jimi's daughter. Jimi's family decide to make the best of it by marrying Jimi to Hannah's mother, the hard-drinking, foul-mouthed Vanessa (Sally Bankes). Jimi begs Vanessa to go through with it, so he can be with Jack.

Last is "The Fluffer" about Sean McGinnis (Michael Cunio), who enters the sex trade to get close to a straight star of gay porn movies, Johnny Rebel (Scott Gurney). Soon McGinnis is doing behind-the-scenes work for the production company. Besides manning the camera, he also becomes Rebel’s favorite fluffer--the person who keeps the porn actors hard. Drawing on his previous experience directing hardcore gay films, co-director Wash Westmoreland succeeds in satirizing an industry where appearances can be deceiving.

Attachments

Last edited:

LoneWolf10

Experimental Member
Media

"Cruising" is a about straight cop Steve Burns (Al Pacino) who goes undercover to solve the serial killing of gays in NYC's S & M and leather clubs. Burns has to learn the complex rules and signals of this subculture to find the killer. When first released (1980) it was universally reviled by gays, critics, and the viewing audience. Now, it is considered one of director William Friedkin's best films.

"Dog Day Afternoon" is another Al Pacino gay movie. This time he turns in a tour-de-force performance as a family man who plans a Brooklyn bank robbery to pay for his gay lover's sex-change operation. Pacino plays Sonny Wortzik, and the film is based on a real-life story. The heist goes horribly wrong, placing Wortzik in a highly publicized hostage situation that makes him a media hero.

"Faustrecht der Freiheit" is about Franz "Fox" Biberkopf (Rainer Werner Fassbinder), a working-class gay who is in a jam when his lover is arrested and the police close their carnival booth. To get money, Fox picks up Max (Karlheinz Bohm) and meets his friends. The next day he wins a lottery for 500,000 marks. The German title of the film means "First Right of Freedom", although the English title is "Fox and His Friends". The film is one of director Fassbinder's most accessible: the story and performances are direct, and the look of the film is polished and inviting. Yet it is also a powerful movie,
dealing with some of Fassbinder's central themes, such as the search for love, and exploitation in its many forms.

"Hamam" is about Francesco (Allesandro Gassman), who goes from Rome to Instanbul where he has inherited a Hamam, a Turkish bath house. Francesco's life and the Hamam become one as he renovates it. As the film’s tagline indicates, "What he inherited was a sexual awakening". Something inside him brings out his love for life in Istanbul and his desire to have sex with Mehmet (Mehmet Gunsur), and soon they become lovers. The English title for this Turkish film is "Steam: The Turkish Bath".

Attachments

Last edited:

LoneWolf10

Experimental Member
Media
Lone Wolf's Movie Review

BEEFCAKE (1999) * * 1/2

BEEFCAKE is a semi-documentary about the physique models in L.A. in the 1950's. It's not listed in any of my movie review books, but the video cover claims it's about the underground physique culture, a photographer ahead of his time, and the struggle for first amendment rights. The cover is deliberately misleading, calling the film a comedy and other things it is not, merely to sell the product. BEEFCAKE was inspired by F. Valentine Hooven III's 1996 book "Beefcake: The Muscle Magazines of America, 1950-1970".

It is fascinating to see the vintage photos and films of muscular young men in posing straps and also fully nude. Joe Dallesandro ("Little Joe never gave it away"--Lou Reed), Jim Lassiter, and other former models recount their fond memories of the era. Most were heterosexual bodybuilders who believed they were physical fitness role models for the youth of America. Fitness guru Jack Lalanne is also interviewed.

One of the problems with this film is that it mixes genres. About 10% is documentary, 15% is interviews, 20% is historical re-creation, but most is fiction. The video cover claims they are "seamlessly blended". No! It is incoherent, almost like randomly switching channels on your TV. Separating the ingredients is annoying, especially if you just want to enjoy the entertainment. The poorly focused mixture of biography, fantasy, and history doesn't work.

The story is based on the rise and fall of photographer Bob Mizer (Daniel MacIvor) and his magazine "Physique Pictorial"--the first male physique periodical. He seems naive and oblivious of the fact that his photos were bought primarily by homosexual men. Basically BEEFCAKE sugarcoats and reinvents Mizer. The movie is somewhat campy and kitschy, but "Gay" did not exist then, and is not mentioned in the film.

Mizer: Sun, schmun. This scoundrel's on some kind of a drug trip.
(looks at David)
Mizer: You. I warned you. We do not slap wrists here at AMG. I want you to take your weed-head friend here, and I want you to scram. I mean it!
(David picks up his friend)
Mizer: And don't come back! Ever.
(looks down at their naked behinds as they walk out)
Mizer: Not until you've learned your lesson

The cast includes: Daniel MacIvor (Bob Mizer), Joshua Peace (Neil O'Hara), Jack Grifin Mazeika (Red), Carroll Godsman (Delia Mizer), Jonathan Torrens (David), Thomas Cawood (Attorney), Jaime Robertson (Prosecuting Attorney), Dick Sircom (Judge), Thom Fitzgerald (Attorney), Orest Ulan, Glen Deveau, Andrew Miller, Marla McLean, Daniel McLaren, Marc St. Onge, Steve MacLaughlin (LaFleur), Andy Smith (Arthur Bob), James Mac Swain (Mr Summers), Michael Weir, Marc Le Blanc, Timoth Phillips, and many others. John Roby composed the music. Thom Fitgerald wrote the script and directed.

Attachments

LoneWolf10

Experimental Member
Media

"The Celluloid Closet" is a funny and informative look at the depiction of homosexuality in Hollywood movies, based on Vito Russo's book of the same name. Lily Tomlin narrates this documentary of the history of gays and lesbians in film, from negative to positive reflections of gay characters. It's a chronological assortment of clips from the turn of the century to the silents, to the effeminate caricatures of the 1930s, to the flamboyant homosexual portrayals of the 1950s and '60s, to the violently deviant homosexual of the '70s and '80s, and concluding with the clean image of recent times. Among the films featured are "Spartacus", "The Boys in the Band", "The Children's Hour", "Philadelphia", "Tea and Sympathy" and many others. Harvey Fierstein, Tom Hanks, Susan Sarandon, Gore Vidal and others comment on the films.

"Las Cosas del Querer" is a drama about how the performers in film musicals during the Spanish post-Civil War era suffered political and sexual persecution. Dora (Angela Molina) and Juan (Angel de Andres Lopez) audition for a job with Mario (Manuel Bandera), a gay nightclub owner. Juan is in love with Dora despite her unchanged habit of going out with as many men as possible, and the two of them are also friends with Mario (who also goes out with as many men as possible). There is a nobleman whose attentions Mario at first entertains and then spurns. This prompts the gay nobleman's mother to swear revenge on him for breaking her son's heart.

"Dong Gong Xi Gong" is a Chinese movie about gay writer A Lan (Si Han) who is attracted to a young cop and manages to be interrogated by him all night. He tells his life story about repression in Chinese society. In China, homosexuality isn't illegal, but homosexuals are routinely persecuted by police and arrested for "hooliganism". The film's title is Chinese slang for the bathrooms located on the edge of Tiannamen Square, favorite haunts of Beijing gays. Billed as the first mainland Chinese drama to deal openly with the subject of homosexuality, the film angered censors and this resulted in authorities confiscating director Zhang Yuan's passport shortly after his return from Hong Kong on April 10, 1997, thereby preventing him from attending that year's Cannes Film Festival. The English title is "East Palace, West Palace".

"L'Escorte" is a French Canadian comedy of manners and study of contemporary gay relationships. Long-term lovers Jean-Marc (Eric Cabana) and Phillipe (Paul-Antoine Taillefer) struggle with their almost bankrupt restaurant. A party joke brings them sexy escort Steve (Robin Aubert), and both men try to win him over. Complications arise.

Attachments

LoneWolf10

Experimental Member
Media

"Daddy and the Muscle Academy" is a Finnish documentary about gay artist Tom of Finland, one of the gay world's few authentic icons. His drawings have had an enormous influence on gay identity, and he basically invented the Gay S & M and leather scenes. Unfortunately, we learn in the film that these gay scenes are derived from the Nazi occupation of Finland. That's what inspired Tom of Finland: fucking Nazis! We are treated to hundreds of vivid portraits of male models, ranging from "Drummer Daddies" to fellow artists. Tom's sketches and paintings are grouped by subject matter, with emphasis on various forms of fetishism. The film includes interviews with the artist's models, associates, and intimates. For LoneWolf10 it is interesting to hear Tom's deep gruff voice, and also to learn about his "photorealism" technique. He took photographs of models, then drew from the photos. That's how photorealism is accomplished.

"Queer as Folk" is the name of 2 TV series, one British and one American. Showtime's American version follows the lives of five gay men in Pittsburgh (the original English version was set in Manchester). It's a compelling, honest hook at gay life, but LoneWolf10 doesn't think much of it. I have tons of it on video and only watched the first few episodes. My vague recollection is the first episode was good, but it was all down hill after that. With a collection of thousands of videos I don't waste my time on the boring or mediocre. However, many people enjoy the series.

"Edward II" is a biography based on Christopher Marlowe's play about Britain's only acknowledged gay monarch (1307-1327), whose preference for his male lover over his queen created conflict with his barons and eventually led to civil war. This is one of gay director Derek Jarman's last films. He keeps the language but takes the story out of its 14th-century timeframe, fills it with anachronisms, presents it with minimal sets against a black background, and turns it into a angry rant against the homophobia of the Thatcher-era England of the 1980s and early ‘90s. Though Marlowe wrote a gay subtext into his play, Jarman moves it up front: Edward is gay, he gives too much power to his gay lover, and they both have to be destroyed. The love between Edward (Steven Waddington) and Piers Gaveston (Andrew Tiernan) is passionate. The two engage in sex surrounded by other gay guys getting it on. When Gaveston is banished, Jarman brings in Annie Lennox to sing "Every Time We Say Goodbye" as Edward and Gaveston dance one last time. Edward has an ugly death that involves a red hot poker up his

"Fortune and Men's Eyes" is a Canadian movie based on John Herbert's Broadway stage play with Sal Minneo in the lead. Smitty (Wendell Burton) goes to prison for six months for marijuana use. While there he encounters the violence done by men to one another, especially to young, unprotected men like himself. He's assigned a cell with Queenie (Michael Greer), a drag queen, Rocky (Zooey Hall), a quiet but cocky con, and Mona (Danny Freedman), a young gay man who ministers to Rocky. Smitty watches in horror as gangs of inmates brutalize prisoners who lack protection, and eventually becomes prison leader. This is an earnest prison drama with some amusement provided by its treatment of prison homosexuality. Michael Greer's performance as the extremely flamboyant and effeminate "Queenie" is noteworthy. While this film has strong language and some nudity, sexual situations are handled discreetly.

Attachments

LoneWolf10

Experimental Member
Media

"Brother to Brother" explores the life and struggles of black gay artists in the present and past. Perry Williams (Anthony Mackie) is a young man dealing with with being both black and gay in contemporary NYC. He is shunned by his father for his sexual identity and wary of being viewed as a sell-out by blacks when his art gains a white audience. When Williams meets aging poet Bruce Nugent (Roger Robinson), who was involved in the Harlem Renaissance of the 1930s, he suddenly finds himself transported back in time and cavorting with the likes of Langston Hughes (Daniel Sunjata) and Zora Neale Hurston (Aunjanue Ellis). Jim (Alex Burns), a white student who's curious about the gay lifestyle, remarks to Perry, "You have the sweetest black ass I have ever seen." The film's treatment of the fine line separating racism and respect makes it worth watching.

"Gohatto" is a Japanese film about a gay samurai. The movie follows Sozaburo Kano (Ryuhei Matsuda) as he joins the Shinshigumi (feudal era police). His beauty and sword skill captivate the men around him, from the other new recruits to the top ranking officers. Suddenly people begin to die, murdered in the night. Any more will give away the story. The English title is "Taboo".

"Presque Rien" is a French film depicting a stormy romance between two 18-year-olds. Mathieu (Jérémie Elkaïm) is spending his summer vacation at the sea before starting college in the fall to become an architect. Then he meets Cedric (Stéphane Rideau) at the beach, who is attractive and obviously looking for a boyfriend. The boys begin a steamy affair, and director Sebastien Lifshitz shows this with realism. This film ends when Mathieu meets Pierre (Nils Ohlund), another former boyfriend of Cedric’s, and finally gets the feeling he has found someone who understands him. "Presque Rien" means "Almost Nothing", which is the UK release title. The American title is "Come Undone".

"Stonewall" is about The birth of the gay rights movement in this fictional drama based loosely on the documentary of the same name by Martin Duberman. In 1969, Matty Dean (Fred Weller) arrives in NYC's Greenwich Village hoping that life there will provide sexual liberation . Matty falls in love with La Miranda (Guillermo Diaz), a cross-dresser who introduces him to the regulars at the Stonewall Inn, a popular gay bar. He is shocked to learn that the NYPD regularly raids the Stonewall, harassing the clientele and closeted owner Vinnie (Bruce MacVitte). After a raid, Matty ends up in jail, where he's attracted to Ethan (Brendan Corbalis), a gay activist preaching a moderate policy of conformity and peaceful protest. The latter is not possible, however, when police storm the Stonewall yet again. Led by Vinnie's lover Bustonia (Duane Boutte), enraged drag queens fight back in a riot of historical significance.

Attachments

Last edited: