Interesting Oscar Buzz!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by nudeyorker, Nov 6, 2009.

1. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Looks like some interesting changes at The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and Producers Guild this year.

In addition to having a new production team for the program of this years show, they are having two hosts; Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin.
    What was interesting in today's Variety, in addition to expanding the Best Picture category to 10 nominations, Timothy Gray reported "There are so many films from female, gay, minority and foreign countries that seem worthy of consideration that it's possible that the best-director noms might not include a single English-speaking, Caucasian, straight male, It's not likely, but for the first time it's possible."

In addition 3D will be a factor in awards consideration.
    Should be an interesting show this year. The only thing I've been able to see in preview so far is "Broken Embraces" with Penelope Cruz, loved it, loved her.

2. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

I loved "Broken Embraces" and I love Penelope Cruz too!

3. Principessa

Gold Member

4. nudeyorker

Gold Member

OK I still have many films to see, but here is my wish list so far...
    Best Picture,Invictus
    Best Director, Jason Reitman for Up in the Air
    Best Actor, I'm at an impasse right now, George Clooney, Up in the Air and Morgan Freeman, Invictus
    Best Actress, I'm hoping for Penelope Cruz in Broken Embraces, but I think it's going to go to Carey Mulligan in An Education.
    Best Supporting Actor I'm also on the fence so far with Alfred Molina in An Education and Stanley Tucci in The Lovely Bones.
    Best Supporting Actress I'm hoping for Julianne Moore in A Single Man, I'm also rooting for Penelope Cruz here (Nine) if she does not get the nod for best actress.But it could go to Susan Sarandon for The Lovely Bones or Anna Kendrick for Up in the Air.

So far I have not seen Nine, Precious, Inglourious Bastards, The Hurt Locker, The Informant, Everybody's Fine, The Road or The Messanger; of the movies on the buzz list so far. This coming weekend is movie weekend for me so I'll keep you posted if I change my mind.

5. justmeincal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Let us know what you think about Precious. I've read great things about the movie.

6. D_Maurice Mountlilly

D_Maurice Mountlilly Account Disabled

great performances all around in precious!
    lee daniels(the director from here in philly)should breakout on this one.
    even mariah carey was solid in this film.(especially after that whole "glitter" garbage)
    and monique was incredible in this one.she reminds me of an aunt i had to fight off with a rolling pin when i was 9yrs old,to protect my cousins and myself. whooo!!! the flashbacks!!

7. Northland

Gold Member

take away the commas and it becomes absurdly amusing.

Draft saved Draft deleted