Interesting take on male/female interactions

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by nice_guy_here, Aug 29, 2009.

1. nice_guy_here

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I've been reading "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins and was struck by his section on battle of the sexes. In almost all other species, it is the males who compete for females in many cases with displays of either physical strength or ornate physical characteristics, such as bright colours, large mane, etc. What struck was at the end of the chapter was his comments on humans. In the birds of paradise, for example, it is the male who is brightly coloured or has large tail feathers, etc, all for the purpose of gaining attention and sexual attraction. Those with the brightest colours, largest plume, whatever, are deemed the most attractive and as such win the competition. Males compete for females.

Now take humans - in the Western societies at least, it is women who adorn themselves with bright colours (make-up, hair, nails, eye-lashes, etc) in order to increase their "sexual attraction" while men do not tend to make as big an effort. He goes on to postulate this - could it be that males have become the sought after sex? Is it, in fact, women who now compete for men in Western society at least?

What are other people's thoughts? I found it quite thought provoking even if a little short-sighted. From his view point of genetics it does make some sense, but of course human behaviour is a little more complicated than that.

2. TheRob

Gold Member

Albums:
    nothing like that at all really, just that women don't only look for physicall attractiveness or strength, they look for money

3. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

nope. men still compete for women. if we didnt, why would clubs let girls in for free on ladies nights when i have to pay 5 fucking £?

4. korinaus

korinaus New Member

The Selfish Gene is one of the most enlightening books I have ever read. If you are more interested in his evolutionary biology relating to human competition, I recommand its sequel, The Extended Phenotype. It is more difficult to read than the Selfish Gene but definitely worth reading!

5. D_Doewell Dadong

D_Doewell Dadong New Member

women are flowers and men are bees. the flower makes themselves irresistible to the bee in order to be pollenated and the bee makes some sticky stuff and buggers off to the next flower

6. nice_guy_here

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    lol. If I ever write a book, I may to steal this

7. D_Doewell Dadong

D_Doewell Dadong New Member

just make sure i get my cut:cool:

Draft saved Draft deleted