Interesting: Transplanting Memories

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_ScaredLittleBoy, Aug 2, 2007.

1. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

Cellular memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That Wiki is pretty incomplete. I'm watching a programme on it now. People who had heart transplants have after their operations taken up the habits, hobbies etc of their dead donors. It's really strange and does raise the question of whether our consciousness does actually live on?

What do you think? The official medical opinion is that its just the medication or due to stress after the transplant. But people have had such drastic changes eg dreams of their donors. One had a dream reliving the murder of her donor and correctly identified the killer and he was caught. Another woman started craving 'cheese doodles' and M&M's when she never liked them before. And she took up karate. Her donor loved cheese doodles and M&M's and was heavily into the martial arts.

Any thoughts on this? Its quite interesting.

2. D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV

When I read the title I thought of X-Men 3, it seems interesting enough. I'm always fascinated by the things our body can do.

3. B_ScaredLittleBoy

The explanation was that starlight is energy that 'died' millions of years ago but it still shines on. And our 'energy' continues to travel after we die. It's really fascinating.

Also, a woman who had a heart transplant stopped taking her immuno-suppresant drugs because she thought they weren't necessary if she accepted and loved her donor. 12 months later, she's still alive!

(Patients that stop taking the medication die within days normally)

4. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I watched a program about this a while ago and it seemed pretty unconvincing to me, the people who had received heart transplants had because of their condition been close to death, after their operation one took up exercise another took up poetry, they used this to imply that they had taken these up because the person whose heart they got enjoyed these things, but after being near death we re-evaluate our lives and what could be more natural that someone who had never been able to exercise and who wanted to look after his new heart would begin to exercise now he was able to for the first time, or that someone who had been given a new lease of life after so long would try to put his feelings down on paper. Lots of people exercise or write poetry in any case, to convince me it would have to be something that was much more of a minority interest.

5. B_ScaredLittleBoy

The one I watched was on Discovery Health. Maybe the one you watched was on Channel 5?

I was skeptical at first but now I'm not so sure. The people in the programme had completely changed. One was a dancer and really health-conscious. She would never drink beer or fast food. As soon as she woke up from her operation, an interviewer asked her what she wanted most and she said 'I'd kill for a beer' which was uncharacteristic of her. Then she started buying chicken nuggets which she had never liked. The person whose heart and lungs she had, they were his favourite food. And he had them in his pocket when he was dead (he was in a motorbike accident). She also had a dream where he told her his name was Tim and the last words she saw in the dream were 'Together Forever'. And those words are engraved on his tombstone.

It was all weird stuff like that, not basic poetry or little things. I also noted that all these people who had transplant memories, their donors had died terrible deaths and seemingly 'before their time'. One was murdered, one commited suicide and two were in car accidents etc. Something to think about.

6. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Yeah the one I saw was on Channel 4, I don't find it altogether out of the bounds of possibility that there is some sort of memory that's transmitted through other cells than brain cells, I just find it unlikely and so far nothing I've seen or heard has convinced me, for instance it's not unknown now for the parents of someone who's received a transplant to meet the donor's parents, it's supposed to be psychologically good for both parents, so maybe while the transplantee was unconscious her parents were standing around going 'without tim she'd be dead now, what a terrible way for a young man to die, a bike crash on the way back from mcdonalds', I find that easier to believe than the alternative.
    Maybe I'm too cynical but I find that the easier explanation.

7. ganja4me

Gold Member

Albums:
    It could just be a coincidence. I mean how many people have had a heart transplant and never experienced anything like this?

8. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Eh. Personally, I'd say it's the spirits of the dead ones, not their body parts.

9. B_ScaredLittleBoy

No, they only met the donor parents years after their transplants and donor's relatives don't go near the patients before, during or even shortly after the transplant.

It could be a whole 'soul transplant'. It's a bit of a mystery at the moment. They also had a medium on. Once he come on I my estimation of the show went down. However, he went into a lab and did well under controlled conditions. His name was John Edward.

I think more than just organs does get transplanted in some cases though. I don't know if it depends on the person's type of death (sudden or horrific etc) or whether the transplantee is more receptive to cell memories or a person's 'spirit'.

I wish I had loads of evidence and information for you but there isn't much :redface:

EDIT:

"A 29-year-old lesbian and a fast food junkie received a heart from a 19-year-old woman vegetarian who was "man crazy." The recipient reported after her operation that meat made her sick and she was no longer attracted to women. If fact, she became engaged to marry a man."

Taken from:

August SFM: Cellular Memory in Organ Transplants

Draft saved Draft deleted