Interesting

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by jonb, Jan 9, 2005.

1. jonb

Gold Member

Turns out Kenneth Blackwell refuses to answer subpoenas, claiming that they're a form of harrassment.

2. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Well, when you were a tool of the GOP, the White House, Diebold AND you ran the bush re-election campaign in your own state to boot.........what do you have to fear? The GOP said "they had to have Ohio," well, they got it didn't they.

It was easy:
    Don't let everyone vote
    Don't provide machines for the heavily democratic areas
    Don't count all the votes
    Don't leave a paper trail
    Move the polling places
    Hire Diebold
    Re-program the software

See? It's not so hard.

Anybody got any more windmills I can tilt at?

3. madame_zora

Gold Member

Blackwell is a discredit to his race, we call him the whitest black man in America. Everything you said Kink is exactly how it happened. I was one of the ones whose vote wasn't counted. I had moved since I voted last so I called the polling place a month or so before the election and asked if I should reregister. I was told that it wasn't necessary, that I could just do it when I got there. No mention was made of a "special ballot", so as it turned out, mine was one of the votes that wasn't counted. This is one fucking furious Ohioan, you bet! Oh yeah, several of the polling places where the electronic voting machines were used were down for hour, during election time. It was only after they magically "came back up" that bush was shown to be leading. ALL the exit polls showed about a 60% win for Kerry prior to that. This country is accepting this bullshit unquestioningly, but here in Ohio, most of us know the truth.

4. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Do you guys serve cheese with your whine? :glare:

5. madame_zora

Gold Member

Sure, do you like cheddar or swiss?

Pecker, in all seriousness, wouldn't you be upset if your vote wasn't counted, after you had gone to the trouble of actually working for the party you supported? I was incensed, as I'm sure I have a right to be.

6. mindseye

Gold Member

I see the equal right to have your vote counted as basic and fundamental. I think defending that right is important, and anyone who would call speaking up on that issue "whining" is absolutely off-base.

I don't care how long you've been here, Pecker; that remark was definitely out of line.

7. madame_zora

Gold Member

Lol, and here I thought he was just hungry!

8. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I can see, mindseye, that I'd be unwelcomed by you in a staff meeting or in one of your classrooms.

I have a habit of cutting the thick air of dissent with humor.

I sincerely apologize for tweaking your sensibilities. Please know that it's a defense mechanism, not hatefulness.

9. madame_zora

Gold Member

Pecker, I actually like it that we don't agree on everything. I took no offense at all.

Besides, there are no snappy comebacks to these kinds of issues. Blackwell's flat out wrong, but that's nothing new here. We "conspiracy theorists" are going to gain a little more credibility as more and more of this kind of behavior becomes public knowledge. Too many Americans have the opinion that if it's not in their face, it's not true. Sadly, they are wrong. Much that has been going on behind the curtain would not please the average American if they were to get their heads out of their asses long enough to figure it out. I know that there are no other responses to the repubs getting their hands caught in the cookie jar other than "everyone else did it" and "you're whining". We'll be hearing a lot of this for a while. Suddenly, pointing out the facts about what's going on is whining. This election (and I use the term loosely) was a sham and a black eye for Americans everywhere.

I try to be a gracious hostess, I always offer cheese with diet soda. Being a tee-totaler has it's drawbacks, no more whine.

10. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    And if Kerry had won and Republican votes had not been counted properly in Ohio or Florida, the rubble of what remained of both of those states would still be smoldering today.

SG

11. jonb

Gold Member

Yeah, but the Congressional Republicans were fanatical about "There were no voter irregularities in 2004 or 2000." (No voter irregularities in 2000? Many of the "felons" didn't have a conviction date, were convicted in states where it's legal for felons to vote, or had a conviction date in the future.) Or "We're at WAR!!!!"

Just like good Russians in the 60s, eh? Oh wait, commies wouldn't even have an Enron.

12. KinkGuy

Gold Member

But it will magically take exactly four more years before everyone realizes what is and has gone on. And IF any of it EVER got to the courts (ha ha) it would drag on for many more years. Sadly, IMHO, there may not be enough of America left to save.

:ph34r: As a gay man I KNOW I am super-sensitive to this administration(?) and their policies, but I sense the jack boots lining up, checking the list and heading for my house. :ph34r:

13. mindseye

Gold Member

I will wear the mantle of sore loser if I must, but really -- a poor and ungracious winner is pretty insufferable. You may see it as a defense mechanism, but it comes across as being dismissive of a serious issue.

And, for the record, I take my profession earnestly; and welcome any qualified student. Indeed, it's my hope that students who come in with your political leanings may leave my class a little better educated.

14. madame_zora

Gold Member

Sad thing about Blackwell is, last thing I read about it said that he might actually get away with it since it was a federal election the Ohio supreme court might not have jurisdiction over it. So, here again, because he's on bush's payroll, he gets to thumb his nose at the supreme court! Oh yeah, that and the fact that the attourney general is representing him, on our dollar I'm sure.

15. jonb

Gold Member

Actually, Jana, the elections are left to the states. At least that's how I understand the constitution. The problem is, the Rehnquist Court's been pretty loose with the constitution, only paying attention in cases like Guantanamo Bay where the right is being blatantly unconstitutional.

16. jay_too

jay_too New Member

I think Dubya should take advantage of Blackwell's and Harris' vast experience in running and certifying elections and send them to supervise voting and electing the "right" candidates. May I suggest Falluja? :p

jay

17. jay_too

jay_too New Member

Yea, elections are a state responsibility; and state courts are the final arbiter of interpreting state election law.......except when there is an overwhelming need to steal an election. In 2000 an activist Supreme Court Justice [A. Scalia] accepted the novel argument that "due process" applied to voting. The rest is history.

jay

18. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    That can't be true, jay. For years the right has been telling me that activist judges are evil liberals.

SG

19. jay_too

jay_too New Member

SG...Have I ever claimed the Right are right?

jay

20. madame_zora

Gold Member

Well, my news source was only our local paper here, I doubt the reporter was a whiz at the constitution. I didn't get one today so I don't know if anything is developing, but I am not expecting much. This administration is pretty damned good at covering each other's asses. "Blatantly unconstitutional" no longer seems like a problem, I'm sure election fraud is that, as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted