Internet Addiction

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Rikter8, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Do you think you have an addiction to the Internet in general?
    Do you find yourself plopping down in front of it when you get home from work/school and just clicking your hours away?

If not you, have you known someone with an internet addiction?
    Signs? Did you/they seek help?
    Resources/links?

2. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

Addiction is a big word, but I couldn't live without it.
    I check daily when I have the chance.
    But on a holiday I refuse to be in contact.

3. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't mean to sound pedantic, but as someone addicted to nicotine, I understand the difference between an addiction and a compulsion. I'll cop to using the internet compulsively, but not with the avidity with which I consume nicotine (despite knowledge of smoking's great harm).

There are several reasons why I spend so much of my day online:

1) I have limited mobility being car-free in an environment that disfavors the lifestyle;

2) I have limited funds by which I can amuse myself otherwise;

3) Television has bored me to tears nearly all of my adult life: if I weren't on the internet I'd probably be reading dead tree books;

4) The internet can be used both passively and interactively in a way no other medium can provide;

5) I feel culturally isolated in SoFla and have more in common with many people here than I do with the guy I share a house with;

6) I'll cop to a certain creeping misanthropy IRL and appreciate the solitude: it's balanced by my work 5-6 nights a week in a very public setting with a very social job. I have no risk of complete isolation;

7) I learn things and interact with people online I'd never know otherwise and occasionally impart some wisdom on others.

4. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's a hard thing to say if it can be called an addiction for me. When I turn the computer on and start I can stay at it for hours.....my record was 16 hours but if I don't touch it I am fine and after a few days I don't even notice.

Draft saved Draft deleted