Internet Dating

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by hypoc8, Sep 22, 2007.

1. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

Does anyone here use or have tried in the past any of the dating websites? If so which one and what kind of results did you get? This is open to all that want to answer.

2. SensualGoth

SensualGoth New Member

Albums:

nothing is 100% a person can tell you everything you want to hear and they can still be a liar.

It's trial and error basically.

Plenty of Fish is more of a social networking site. The moderators play favorites and con artist's flourish there.

Match and all the equiv just want your money.

probably better off finding a old high school love on Classmates.com lol

There are the Adult sites but those are mostly hookup sites.

I've found that people that are not in my area would message me and it just would not work out .....

Your best bet is to meet someone in your area with common interests.

3. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

A friend had considerable success posting an ad on craigslist.

4. Principessa

Gold Member

My experiences have not been positive. The odd thing is I personally know four people who actually met their spouse online. They aren't freaks, or axe murderers, though one is a Trekkie. :tongue: One couple has been happily married 10 years now. So of course like an idiot I keep trying. :redface: I wish you luck hypoc8.

:biggrin1:ROTFLMAO:biggrin1: If it were that easy SensualGoth, he wouldn't have asked for advice. Hell if it were that easy, there would be no need for match.com.

5. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

At this time I have profiles on both e-harmony and yahoo. I've had little luck with either. The main two problems seem to be most of my matches are further away than I want to travel, for some reason I don't match well with people 50 miles or less from my home. The other problem is several of my matches don't seem to be physically or emotionally ready for a relationship. I have no idea why they are even there. This has happened at least three times to me. I can't understand why people want to use and or waste others time.
    After being married for 17 years the dating scene sure has changed. It's pretty scary out there. Add to that having to deal with kids, exes and other baggage I sometimes wonder if I'd be better off staying single. I doubt I'll renew my membership to e-harmony, it's a little to expensive for the results I've got.

6. Principessa

Gold Member

7. No_Strings

Gold Member

I really don't think internet dating is a good idea, simply because it's people purposely looking for a partner. It's not the 'online' issue that makes me think that either, I expect people going to a bar or club with the MO of finding someone will have just as little success.

You're much more likely to encounter someone you're compatible with if you go out to have fun and simply see where events take you - I believe this to be true whether in the 'real world' or online.

Basically, I don't think it's good idea to try and force anything - either you'll find them or they'll find you. You don't necessarily have to be searching for something to find it. :smile:

8. BJH

BJH Member

I've done it for 3 years and went out on dates with many women. I'm disappointed with it and never found anybody who was right for me. I'm still very young so I'm not going to give up. Some of them looked a lot different in person than from their photo. Pictures can be deceiving sometimes and I'm suspicious of those that write to me without a photo in their profile. Online dating is great for shy people, who are too timid to approach someone in public.

9. viking1

Gold Member

I agree. I have little or no faith in dating sites. I've never even tried any of them. I figure there's no use in even trying them unless I want to lie, and I don't want to do that. The truth will come out anyway...

10. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

It's no wonder you're alone Viking, I've never heard you say a positive thing about yourself or miss a chance to put yourself down. Lighten up, you're a smart sensitive guy, you have lots to offer, tell people about that instead of harping on about what a loser you are.

If I saw you in a pub and you asked for my number I'd give it to you - unless you got in first with that self deprecating attitude. Guys your age with no kids are at a premium, get out, chat women up, get laid.

11. Principessa

Gold Member

12. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

Oh I've heard the sayings over and over, you'll find someone when you least expect it. Well, I like to feel like I'm at least trying to find a potential partner although without much luck. I don't drink so I don't do the bar scene, I know good and well you'll not find anyone worth a shit there. I've been told to go to church, sorry, not using church as a dating service, that's not what it's for. So to be honest I really don't know where it is that you're suppose to meet people. That's why I have chose at this time to do the internet thing. Maybe down the road I'll try something else whatever that else may be?

13. turbulent27

turbulent27 Member

Hitch where are you when we need you. I think wanting a relationship and actually searching for it is the hardest thing. As I go about my daily life I probably miss out on opportunities because I don't recognize that they exist. I tend to think about being lonely and wanting a wife and children when I am alone. Usually when watching a movie or seeing a commercial which suddenly tugs at my heartstrings and makes me yearn for something more. Perhaps being alone so long has made me forget how to make the effort. Some of my associates occasionally attempt to set me up with someone. This always ticks me off because they always try to set me up with someone who I have no interest in whatsoever and have no common interests with. This is the kind way of putting it. Unfortunately I see no real way to change the status quo. Nonetheless I consider myself to be well grounded and relatively happy. It's just that the "what ifs" sometimes really get me down.

14. No_Strings

Gold Member

Either way, the sole aim isn't to find a date, and so while the chances of finding anyone may be lower, the chances of finding a good partner are higher.

It works for me and many people I know. :smile:

Effort, maybe, but making an effort doesn't necessarily equate to using dating sites, speed dating, blind dates etc.
    I stumbled upon a absolutely wonderful person completely out of the blue, I'm sure I'm not the only one who that happens to. :wink:

15. Principessa

Gold Member

In spite of the fact that I have had some truly God awful blind dates I never say no to them, because you never know . . . he could be the one. :tongue::redface:

I have had friends that I have known for over 15 years set me up with men that I had absolutely nothing in common with other than the fact we were both earthlings.

Usually what happens is that because I am black, people will set me up with the only other single black man they know. :rolleyes: It's kinda like how people always want to make a sandwich out of the last 2 slices of bread in the bag. :tongue: This is so stupid! I know plenty of single white people; and I would never just randomly assume they should hook-up based on the color of their skin.:confused:

16. turbulent27

turbulent27 Member

You look like the complete package with a bow. Good luck with the relationship.

17. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

Let me just say this, I don't need someone to make me happy, I'm fine with where I'm at. I'm not the type of person that has to have someone to be happy. I do want to find that special someone to share my life with as I believe I have alot to offer them. At the same time I don't like the thought of being 60-70 years old and still being single so I think it's only natural to use whatever resources that are out there because Lord knows they're not knocking my door down.

18. Principessa

Gold Member

I concur.

19. turbulent27

turbulent27 Member

exactly

20. turbulent27

turbulent27 Member

Well, have any of you considered the international scene. Such as hooking up with a nice girl from the Phillipines. It seems to be more and more common around here especially with the older gents.

Draft saved Draft deleted