Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Being in an interracial relationship, I feel like I've been fortunate not to experience this kind of racism yet.

It's hard to imagine this person was ignorant enough not to know that it is unconstitutional to deny marriage based on race.

I expect him to lose his position, and I think there are strong grounds for a lawsuit, although the couple may just want to put the whole disgusting event behind them at this point.

I guess I'm just fortunate to have lived in places where interracial relationships are the norm. Nobody even bats an eyelash at us.

It puts some things in perspective to me, though. I generally use Loving v. Virginia as my reasoning that denying gays the right to marriage is unconstitutional as well. But here we have someone whose mindset is so prejudiced and outmoded that he's still living in a time before even that ruling. No wonder the poor gays can't get equal treatment when people of color are still fighting the system in a lot of this country.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've been reading about this in a couple of other forums I frequent, and fortunately (and predictibly, considering the kinds of forums I visit), the reaction to it was similar to the reaction here. They made comments about that part where the JP said he had "piles of black friends" too - what an odd way to word that? Oh, and he even lets them use his bathroom!

Actually, I'm not surprised, sadly, that this kind of racism occurs in this day and age. I grew up with people who feel the exact same way the JP does. One place I worked, they would've talked about him saying that it's about time someone stood up for what's right! They also wanted to bring back Jim Crow laws. And those few people who worked there who were not racist (or who, even worse, were multiracial themselves - I knew one at least) were bullied at work. I didn't get that as much as maybe some of the others because I'm shy, especially about anything political (precisely BECAUSE of hostile people like this!) But I did get some, like threatening to beat me up and stuff like that. I have a story about the multiracial woman who worked there too, but it's kind of off this topic. It has to do with her husband hitting on me in front of her! Although I can bring it back to topic, because everyone at work saw this happen at our Christmas party (that's why he was there with her - at the Christmas party we could bring spouses/SOs). The next work night (I worked the graveyard shift), they were all like "I can't believe she married a white man" and "I like him ok but I HATE HER". WTF??? So it's perfectly ok that her husband made a pass at me in front of her face??? Because she isn't WHITE??? That's just crazy! :mad:

Florida Boy

Sexy Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hang in there, B.C. Louisiana needs more liberal minded people in their presence. This is one means of working liberalism from the inside. I would like to hear other state officials chiming in with their similar or different opinions.

I'm sure both camps will be well represented. in the meantime, hang in there and do the best you can to sway opinions.

This Hammond justice of the peace is without question a complete asshole, and he is an excellent example of why and how racism is alive and well in America.

Not that we here in Louisiana have a monopoly on assholes. It just seems we're all more apt to quickly get lump sum maligned (by people who otherwise seem to have half a brain in their heads) by the actions of some among us.

Given that, this son of a bitch was the last thing we needed.

Last edited:

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Hang in there, B.C. Louisiana needs more liberal minded people in their presence. This is one means of working liberalism from the inside. I would like to hear other state officials chiming in with their similar or different opinions.

I'm sure both camps will be well represented. in the meantime, hang in there and do the best you can to sway opinions.

Appreciate it Florida Boy. When these types of things surface, it's not indicative of the temperament or mindset of an entire population of people, but is indicative of the widespread existence of racism that still exists in various localities, among a select group of people, and in various institutions throughout our society.

Usually there is tacit denial of such for the most part until some incident occurs which reminds us of the work that still need be accomplished. For example, an MSN news article reported that this (Republican) justice ran unopposed for office in his community for 34 years! Did no one know before this incident that the guy was a racist?

According to him, he is not a racist. (They never are.) And now the governor of the state (Jindal) and just everyone else here are scrambling to distance themselves from, and denounce this asshole.

Too little maybe, if not too late. Because this is what we get when we silently abide by this kind of thought, or worse still, when try to play upon this kind of ideology to our own political advantage... y'know?

...the plus side being, whenever such uncoverings of racism in our society occur, we, as a whole, go through a kind of "awakening". And maybe that's a good thing.

Fleur

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
uh...yeah...wow...people = stupid/ignorant/need to be smacked at times...

Having dated a Hispanic/Native American/White guy for almost 6 years...this offends me muchly....even if I hadn't dated him it still does...it should offend everyone.

savster

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hi
this might be unpopular but I see the judges point. Mixed race/mulatto children seem to have more behavioural and social problems than the rest. That was my experience when I was a schoolteacher. I admire the courage of this man to speak against the tide of rampant liberalism and political correctness.

Of course we mustn't forget about Obama - lol - thats one clever mulatto!

WOW...:eek:

Interracial couple denied marriage license in La. - Yahoo! News

Parts of the article...

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way,"

He would hate me and MY hubby!!!

He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.
Funny my BLACK as HELL family is just happy that I found I guy that I loved enough to marry!

"I try to treat everyone equally," he said.

Then MARRY different race COUPLES YOU DIRT BAG!!!!!!!!!

DGirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
ARE you for real????????
DUDE..

ALL kids if you LET them will be problems!!
I went to a all black school and that is funny..
We came out and some went to jobs, Military, college and most got married..
So I am not sure where you are from.. But please do not LUMP all of Black/Mixed KIDS in the same group..

Is this 2009 or am I dreaming?.
I read an article in the Sunday Times (UK) & was totaly 'gobsmacked'. There would be swift removal of such a 'judge' in the UK & rightly so.

CNN just updated this story and it seems the Justice of the Peace will have to be removed by Louisiana:

Justices of the peace in Louisiana are elected, but the state's high court has jurisdiction over whether they can keep their jobs, Louisiana Supreme Court spokeswoman Valerie Willard said. The Judiciary Commission, a judicial body independent of the Supreme Court, has the power to review a case and make recommendations to the high court.

After receiving a complaint, the Judiciary Commission would determine whether the grievance was frivolous. Anyone can file a complaint; no attorney is needed, Willard said, though Beth McKay said she has retained one.

The commission would proceed with an investigation if there were allegations of ethical misconduct, or arguments that the justice of the peace was in violation of professional responsibility, Willard said.-CNN

All of this can take a year or more and there are all sorts of possible outcomes.

I don't know if the Attorney General or the president can interfere in this though it is a federal law which is being broken by this justice of the peace. I'm wondering if there are any lawyers here who can say.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
CNN just updated this story and it seems the Justice of the Peace will have to be removed by Louisiana:

All of this can take a year or more and there are all sorts of possible outcomes.

I don't know if the Attorney General or the president can interfere in this though it is a federal law which is being broken by this justice of the peace. I'm wondering if there are any lawyers here who can say.

Louisiana isn't just backwards, it's flat out weird. They are the only state in the union that use civil law.
Law in the State of Louisiana is based in part on civil law. Louisiana is unique among the 50 U.S. states in having a legal system partially based on French and Spanish codes and ultimately Roman law, as opposed to English common law.[1] Louisiana thus follows the system of most non-Anglophone countries in the world.

Despite popular belief (and Stanley Kowalski's brief explanation in the Tennessee Williams play A Streetcar Named Desire) it's incorrect to say that the Louisiana Civil Code is, or stems from, the Napoleonic Code; rather, the two law codes stem from common sources. Although the developing Napoleonic Code strongly influenced Louisiana law, it was not enacted until 1804, one year after the Louisiana Purchase. The main source of Louisiana jurisprudence may in fact be Spanish [2].

Louisiana isn't just backwards, it's flat out weird. They are the only state in the union that use civil law.

I am way overly familiar with that. It's a good state to live in if another state tries to extradite you because it's ridiculously unlikely the other state will have anyone who knows anything about Louisiana law.

3664shaken

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This is my take

I am a centrist leaning right

I don't believe in hate laws think they are unfair
I don't believe in gay marriage because our federal laws deny it (change the laws and I am cool with it)
I am suspicious about global warming

BUT this person is a dickhead.

Black people have a tan that I pay money trying to get.

And before I get flames for that my many black boy-toys will tell you that I really enjoy dark meat.

Ciao

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Yep..not a big surprise people like him "still" exist..racism is alive and well for sure.

I do not think it will be easy to just remove and "ban" him from his functions...

At least he is honest, stand his positions despite unpopular one...others like him are all undercover but think just the same as him.

MercyfulFate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This is my take

I am a centrist leaning right

I don't believe in hate laws think they are unfair
I don't believe in gay marriage because our federal laws deny it (change the laws and I am cool with it)
I am suspicious about global warming

BUT this person is a dickhead.

Black people have a tan that I pay money trying to get.

And before I get flames for that my many black boy-toys will tell you that I really enjoy dark meat.

Ciao

Well not to be an ass, but you don't like hate legislation because it's unfair, but gay marriage isn't alright because it's a law? Kind of contradictory there.