Interview

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So this is what happened in an interview I had today:

My background: prior family money and being self employed in public relations had sufficed nicely for me. Family refused to be of financial help and PR clients were not doing well.
This unfortunate cocktail precipitated any sort of employment I might garner. The interview I had today was to work as a factory employee at a medical accesories production factory from 3-11pm (second shift) for a whopping ten dollars an hour. Hmm.
So after acing the interview the operations manager sat back and looked at me and said "I need to know this from you: do you UNDERSTAND this is a ten dollar an hour factory job? And that you are an a highly educated person with a great career history and that you are overqualified for this positon?"
I looked at him without skipping a beat and said "Do you understand that you just said the magic word 'qualified'? I am qualified for this position, I am aware that the position is as you said and now I have a question for you: 'Are you aware that I have a mortgage that has to be made and do not prefer to enter foreclosure but would rather be a great employee for you?'"
Well that shut him up pretty quickly. So we will see if I get to have my dream job granted to me. lol.
I am at the point that all youthful pride having been extracted from me I would consent to such a position for a rapidly growing company for the opportunity for advancement a few months down the road.
The interviewers were taken aback by my candid responses to their questions (which I loved).
Having a marketing background I was presented with company marketing materials and was asked what was wrong with them and what I would change with the directive that I be honest and hold nothing back (as the two men exchanged glances).
I pointed out that the text was well written and appropriate for the division of the company. But they grilled me on what was bad about it. So I asked questions of intent and end user of said material and proceeded to suggest better lighting and photography for the photo shoots and better graphic design.
The interviewers said that they would like to hire me in the originally stated position but that they thought within a few months I would prove useful in other areas of the company.
While this may be the case, it remains to be seen whether I was 'good enough' to get a job of the most humbling variety and one that I have never undertaken.
SO - I had an interview today and would be thrilled to get a ten dollar an hour, second shift, factory job while in exile in the midwest. Wish me luck, will you? lol.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
LUCK!

I don't think you will need it though; sounds like you aced it to me. If they don't hire you they're a couple of dimwitted boobs.

njqt466

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Good luck, goodwood.
It's tricky being overqualified ... but if they see you as potentially valuable in other areas of the company, they may be as happy as you to let this relatively menial job be your point of entry.
I hope so.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
LUCK!

I don't think you will need it though; sounds like you aced it to me. If they don't hire you they're a couple of dimwitted boobs.

njqt466

I'm with her! Of course I wish you the greatest of luck, but I don't think it's an issue. :smile:

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Wow. Thank you people. You are too kind. Thanks for taking the time to read such a silly post from a silly man. If I get it, it will provide no end of comic situations to report back on. lol.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The only one I wish luck for are the marketing people. You mught just be their new boss from the sound of things.

I'm not going to say good luck, but congratulations on your new marketing career.

I basically did what you are doing now. I'm already on the climb and love it.

Once we make our climbs, let's agree on a spot to hook up for the champagne toast to our mutual climbs.

CHEERS!