int'l movies

da_blissmachine: I'm of course partial to Indian cinema... Unfortunately of the 500+ Bollywood films made each year only abt 3-5 have good storylines (its mostly abt the song and dance for me).  there are REALLY good independent films though.  "Hollywood Bollywood" "Mitr" "Ghaslam Badoor" and anything by Deepa Mehta or Mira Nair are pretty good examples.

tracksuitboy: Surely you cannot say this film industry is better than that film industry. They all make good and bad films. Hollywood can produce some fantastic movies (say, Dead Poet's Society but they also make dross (the list here could be endless!). We Brits have made some wonderful films (A Bridge Too Far or Chariots of Fire but then we can make something as awful as Notting Hill too!

da_blissmachine: I will change it to "what is your favorite"

prepstudinsc: I've not seen any Bollywood movies, but I have heard that the movie industry in India is pretty large. We have an indy movie house nearby that shows a lot of foreign films, but I haven't seen them show a Bollywood movie, yet. Maybe I need to ask if they can get one.

inquiringmind: Hi,
I am in a quandary... I have more than one international school of cinema that I am devoted to....what should I do? Let's see I love American Indies,Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Indian, Spanish, Brazilian and British. I have not found that I am too enamoured of French,German or Scandinavian film.

Inquiring mind  

da_blissmachine: usually Bollywood movies are shown at Bollywood theaters but these rae hard to find unless ur in a DesiTown

tracksuitboy: [quote author=da_blissmachine link=board=meetgreet;num=1067651066;start=0#5 date=11/01/03 at 14:17:50]usually Bollywood movies are shown at Bollywood theaters but these rae hard to find unless ur in a DesiTown[/quote]

What on earth is a DesiTown? (Does Lucille Ball's son live there? :D :D Sorry!)

da_blissmachine: no, "DesiTown" is like ChinaTown for Indian ppl... "desi" = Indian, like "brutha" and "sista" for black people, used mostly by those it applies to.

tracksuitboy: Ah! You learn something new everyday!

da_blissmachine: What part? There are a lot of Desis and Pakis there esp in several DesiTowns in Greater London and Lakes REgion.

tracksuitboy: Will IM, as this will bore anyone else reading it!

prepstudinsc: One of my favorite foreign films is Spanish, Pedro Almodovar's (I think that's the spelling) "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown." It's hysterical!

da_blissmachine: I've heard of it and always wanted to see it, but never got a chance

Did anyone see "Y tu Mama Tambien"?

da_blissmachine: my rental fees are already skyrocketing :D

i think at the language dept at Madison you can rent foreign films for free and over 500 spanish language films they have... its probably there