Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ron Paul: Santorum is ‘very liberal’ – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

"Ron Paul dinged rival Rick Santorum Monday for being a "very liberal" candidate, saying the former Pennsylvania senator and staunch social conservative voted for too much spending during his time in Congress..."He voted to double the size of the Department of Education," Rand Paul said. "He voted to expand Medicare and add free drugs for senior citizens and he has voted for foreign aid"

He fits the mold of that "conservative" BS of GWB that is as far away from conservative as humanly possible, but he is not a true conservative.
That "not a true conservative" card has been rather overplayed in recent years. I think I have heard it applied to everyone to the left of John Birch or Lyndon Larouche. The fact that one of Santorum's rivals finds it expedient to describe him as "liberal" is hardly credible evidence that he is such. I have heard Santorum plausibly described as "populist," but that is a very different thing. It is hardly the mark of a liberal to equate social welfare programs with fascism, as Santorum does:

"[My grandfather] came after having fought in World War I because Mussolini has been in power now for three years and had has figured out that Fascism was something that would crush his spirit and his freedom….And we have two parties that are out talking about how they’re going to solve those problems. One wants to talk about raising taxes on people who have been successful and redistributing money, increasing dependency in this country, promoting more Medicaid and food stamps and all sorts of social welfare programs and passing Obamacare to provide even more government subsidies. More and more dependency, more and more government — exactly what my grandfather left in 1925." (Rick Santorum, January 3, 2012)

Edited to add: This article lists "Rick Santorum’s Top 10 Most Outrageous Campaign Statements":
1) ANNUL ALL SAME-SEX MARRIAGES

2) ‘I’M FOR INCOME INEQUALITY’

3) CONTRACEPTION IS ‘A LICENSE TO DO THINGS’

4) GAY SOLDIERS ‘CAUSE PROBLEMS FOR PEOPLE LIVING IN CLOSE QUARTERS’

5) OBAMA SHOULD OPPOSE ABORTION BECAUSE HE’S BLACK

6) WE DON’T NEED FOOD STAMPS BECAUSE OBESITY RATES ARE SO HIGH

7) ABORTION EXCEPTIONS TO PROTECT WOMEN’S HEALTH ARE ‘PHONY’

8) HEALTH REFORM WILL KILL MY CHILD

9) UNINSURED AMERICANS SHOULD SPEND LESS ON CELL-PHONE BILLS

10) INSURERS SHOULD DISCRIMINATE AGAINST PEOPLE WITH PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS​
Yeah, a real card-carrying liberal there. :rolleyes:

Edited again to add: This just in:

Rick Santorum: States Should Have the Right to Outlaw Contraception

Last edited:

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
In a strange sense there is both great wisdom and humor in the results of the Iowa caucus. The actual winner who was not a winner by very much in fact proves that the GOP has the largest group of "wrong" candidates in history. People who classify themselves as Republicans and conservatives cannot make sense of this group. I personally can think of some other GOP members that would be far better than this bunch.

There is no clear leader in their choice of candidates, and all of them are so "flawed" that even those voting are in total bewilderment.

Somehow I don't see Donald Trump to the rescue as a plus either. What really surprises me is if the GOP removed the religious extremism from their choice group that things would become a great deal more clear.

This is not a good time for this Country in any sense of the word.

While claiming "big government' is bad, these same individuals are also making claims and plans under the guise of religion that would make this government one of the most intrusive governments into the private lives of it's citizens on this planet.

If these individuals are successful at overturning human rights and many other things that are on their drawing boards, nothing is safe because of the legal precedents these events will set. That is the scary part.

itsthepopei

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Im beginning to think anyone coming out of this nominating process will be so damaged as to make them totally unelectable. every one of them believes going back to a pre-enron regulatory environment will help the economy, that mercury is good for our lungs, global warming is a scam (except huntsman but for that flub hes polling at 7%), that discriminating against a class of people should be left up to the states( absolutely hilarious to watch Micheal Steel defend that;oh the irony), that iraq just didn't last long enough(except Ron Paul but hes unelectable for a whole host of reasons), that another war in the middle east is necessary for Americas strategic interests, and the list gos on. In republican land booing a gay soldier is cool in america that's disgusting.

cruztbone

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
And now romney is trying to tell us that he really cares about our freedom. Really? Is that freedom to become any corporation we want , or perhaps freedom to worship brighan young in any pre approved style we like? Romney can go straight to hell and take the church with him.