Iowa legalizes same-sex marriage.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
About 15 minutes ago, the Iowa Supreme Court issued a unanimous ruling striking down the state's ban on same-sex marriage.

(source: AP)

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
According to a spokesman on MSNBC, Iowa is the first state to strike down the ban in a unanimous ruling -- the other states which have done so have been divided.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Conservatives - Rush Limbaugh and Michael Medved for starters - will be screaming about militant "activist judges" today... But I hope everybody has the foresight to see this is a struggle whose time has come (or is coming).

Here's the current scorecard.

Same-sex marriage is legal in:

Massachusetts

Connecticut

Iowa

Civil unions legal in: Vermont, New Jersey, New Hampshire

Domestic Partnerships legal in: California, Washington, Oregon, District of Columbia, Maine

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
it's interesting that the states that u don't really think of having a huge gay population are some of the ones that legalize same sex something. with the exception of CA (and we've reversed it), the rest aren't really even on the radar.

if you had to make a list of states with sizeable gay populations would maine be on it, let alone iowa, or CT?
I usually think of NYC, SF, ATL, LA, MIAMI, PORTLAND when i think of gay cities.

maybe this should tell us that a stealth strategy works better instead of in ur face demonstrations and militant protests.

the harder we campaign for it, the more the opposition gets riled up and mobilized.

I guess we shouldn't be too suprised with IA, a 90% white population did vote in a caucus landslide for obama.

slurper_la

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
the Iowa state justices may be enlightened and intellectual but don't think for a moment the red-neck, conservative hoo-ha's of that state won't start up a movement to amend the state's constitution just like they did in CA.

Hark, what do I hear?

is that....?

why yes, I hear the mighty Mormon trumpet blowing

cornfedstud

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
To overturn it, we would have to amend our constitution, which requires first a majority from our house/senate, both of which enjoy a democratic majority.
If that were to happen, no doubt the conservative populous would easily mount the required 50%+1 required to make it official, but it won't happen for years.
First time I'm glad to see that many Dems in office.

Oh, and slurper_la, I've lived here my whole life and never once met a Mormon, and very few red-necks for that matter.
Small-minded, God-fearing evangelicals, sure. And for giving Huckabee a fighting chance, I apologize.