Iowa/nebraska flooding. getting ugly here!

Cecil56

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Kids...this flooding is getting real nasty, real quick!
The following video was shot yesterday. The water is up 2 or 3 feet more since then.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zmDqVoWZLU

I'm down to driving about 15 miles gravel roads, before hitting pavement, just to get to work
every day. That's one way. To make matters worse, I just bought a new 2018 Subaru Forester last spring.
Swore I would never drive it on a gravel road. Guess what happened today? :(

My house is on high land and dry. The energy company shut off power to the city water department this afternoon. Say the tower has 2 days worth of water to supply the city. Don't know what will happen after that.

Reactions: Nudistpig

Cecil56

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Stay safe... It's pretty early in the year for flooding. Scary shit :pensive:

Appreciate the concern! Don't know how this is all going to play out. Crossing fingers right now.

If the town runs out of water, I do have a friend that will let me camp out at her house if needed. That would add an extra hour for my work drive every day, so hope it does not come to that.

If it does, she can expect some REALLY GOOD home cooked meals! She has eaten my cooking before, and I think she is looking
forward to a visitor! Time will tell.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Good grief, man, if it’s that bad are people still expected to get to work? I’d be stocking up on water and food.

pdxjoe

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Stay safe and dry @Cecii56. I hope the flood passes quickly and you dry out fast. In the mean time you might think about attaching a boat to your Subaru Forester just in case of the worst happening. If you can I would agree with @ twoton , stock up with bottled water and food.

Cecil56

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Good grief, man, if it’s that bad are people still expected to get to work? I’d be stocking up on water and food.

@twoton & pdxjoe. I have plenty of food and water. They are now hauling in water to keep us supplied.
We are now under a "boil water for human consumption". Long as I can flush my toilet and take a shower, life is good.

Gravel roads suck going to work for sure. The return home is not so bad. I throw 2 beers in my cooler for that trip. :)
They are mushy and soft, just go slow. I would get bored just sitting home and want to go to work if possible. The work
would understand if I can't get there due to flooding.

I DO have a small boat to put on top of the Subaru if needed...LOL! I HATE that luggage rack on top. All it does is catch snow and ice and it's a bear to clean off.

If I want to go fishing, the Subaru stays home and I drive the pickup truck. Normally put less than 1000 miles on it per year.
I change oil in it annually, not by mileage. Have a couple sweet spots and fish locally on private land. Caught an 8 1/2 bass
on one of them last year. Not bad for my neck of the woods. Take maybe 40 crappies home for consumption per year. Catch
and release all others.

Reactions: pdxjoe

Nudistpig

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Kids...this flooding is getting real nasty, real quick!
The following video was shot yesterday. The water is up 2 or 3 feet more since then.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zmDqVoWZLU

I'm down to driving about 15 miles gravel roads, before hitting pavement, just to get to work
every day. That's one way. To make matters worse, I just bought a new 2018 Subaru Forester last spring.
Swore I would never drive it on a gravel road. Guess what happened today? :(

My house is on high land and dry. The energy company shut off power to the city water department this afternoon. Say the tower has 2 days worth of water to supply the city. Don't know what will happen after that.

Fill your tub and sinks and don't flush unless you need it, the rain is supposed to come down for a time yet. Be safe!

Cecil56

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
We still have water, but have to minimize usage. Quick shower, don't do laundry, dishes or flush toilet unless needed. Boil water for human consumption. Request no laundry done and the car washes are closed.

Took Grand Daughter to school this AM. Toilets are locked up and 28 porta-potties are lined up outside for the kids to use. She was NOT looking forward to that...LOL!

Trucking 300,000 gallons of water per day from a couple other towns. Thank you Shenandoah and Red Oak!

Other communities have stepped up with donations. Can pickup free bottled water at Glenwood City Hall.
Also a local church has water and other donated items. They also serve free meals for the local displaced folks.

You can check it out here: www.ketv.com/article/donations-piling-up-in-glenwood-to-help-neighbors-in-pacific-junction/26856921

Us country folks help each other out in times of need.

Reactions: Assman1

pdxjoe

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
We still have water, but have to minimize usage. Quick shower, don't do laundry, dishes or flush toilet unless needed. Boil water for human consumption. Request no laundry done and the car washes are closed.

Took Grand Daughter to school this AM. Toilets are locked up and 28 porta-potties are lined up outside for the kids to use. She was NOT looking forward to that...LOL!

Trucking 300,000 gallons of water per day from a couple other towns. Thank you Shenandoah and Red Oak!

Other communities have stepped up with donations. Can pickup free bottled water at Glenwood City Hall.
Also a local church has water and other donated items. They also serve free meals for the local displaced folks.

You can check it out here: www.ketv.com/article/donations-piling-up-in-glenwood-to-help-neighbors-in-pacific-junction/26856921

Us country folks help each other out in times of need.
Good to hear that things are some what manageable for you. I hear you about country folks helping each other out in times of need, and I would add hardship to that from my country roots upbringing.