iPhone photos and GPS data

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by lerotic, Jan 1, 2012.

1. lerotic

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    I was just discussing a photo that i found of myself showing "morning wood" with another member on here when i remembered that on the Mac i can find the GPS data in a photo pretty easily and i thought it might be an idea to remind people how easy it is to get data and location from a photo.

So attached is the original photo and then inspecting the data information (CMD + I on a Mac) there's the GPS open and i'm not sure how this would work on a Windows machine but i can just click the "locate" button and it shows me the location in Google Maps.

As it happens i don't mind at all in this instance as i was travelling but i am glad that i don't just send photos out without checking them :)

Attached Files:

2. ksrsoze

ksrsoze Member

Albums:
    hey, I have a mac too and have noticed this before. Do pictures uploaded to LPSG still contain this data?

3. lerotic

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    I don't think so as the resizing program doesn't upload the original file by the looks of it.

4. D_Olga Steponyatova

D_Olga Steponyatova New Member

What if it doesn't resize the image? :squint:

Stuff like this is quite spooky if you think about it. Slip-up and share some images that were Geotagged... stranger uses Google maps and then streetview to see where you are or were, and then it becomes pretty easy to figure out who you are. Yeesh!

Great reason to make sure your phone or camera has this option turned off for certain photographs! I also think that if you save an image "for the web" in some apps, it won't include all the extra image data because that increases the file size.

5. erratic

Gold Member

Yikes. Thanks for the heads-up.

This is one of the tings that worries me about how integrated devices are getting. Next thing you know, people are going to be looking for legal permission to follow your phone around the world. Uncool.

Draft saved Draft deleted