Iphone update probs...

alx

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ok im sure theres going to by an iphone savvy or someone that knows a bit about consumer law on here....

Basically ive got a iphone 3G its two years old so is now out of warrenty.

As you all know the new iphone 4 was just released and so was the new iOS4 update for the older models.

Ive since updated to the new iOS4 {within the last few days}and since then ive had nothing but problems with it lagging, turning off etc...

Today it got to the point were the phone was totally unresponsive, it wouln't even turn on, well it might for about 10second if connected to the computer.

So I went to the Apple store, got the staff to look at it @ their genius bar... they tried to restore it and failed.

They said its fucked and nothing can be done, I will have to pay £130 {$195} for a refurbed 3G or buy their new iphone 4.

Is it me or is this a bit unfair?
I have updated my phone with their software update and its broken my phone. Now I have to pay £130 for the pleasure of their error, The update is suppose to be compatible. tbh I feel Apple have just raped me, Hard.

Anyone know where I stand with this?

Help is much appreciated!

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Apple usually cripples their hardware with new updates so you have to go buy the newest thing. Always be wary of software updates, particularly major ones like this, and always let other people do it first and see if they have any problems.

thetramp

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It is just that the older hardware, in particular the small RAM of the previous IPhone generations has trouble with the iOS 4. There is supposed to be a fix fort that rather soon.
I suppose that in the ToS Apple denied responsibility from problems caused through updates.
The question is, will there be a chance for you to fix it without having to pay that much.
What happens when you connect it to the PC? Try to give as much information as possible.

In general Skull Mason is right, it is to recommend to wait for positive experience about an update like this by other customers, there are plenty of sites online that deal with the iPhone and test updates and stuff like that.

alx

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ive been to the Apple store, Seen the phone technician. She said its unfixable, Only option is to buy a refurb or a new iphone 4.

Why release a software that can break your phone.

Im trying to find the T&Q's for the update.

alx

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ive always called it my ifail rather that iphone.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I updated and the phone (3Gs) is working fine. It seems a bit quicker. I hope it doesn't pack it in two days from now.

Skype hasn't released an update yet so that's a drag.

alx

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The 3GS has twice the processing capacity than the 3G.

alx

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If apple dont give me a replacement free of charge then im never ever going to buy an apple product again.

Stretch

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey alx. The 3g is not compatible with the new iOS4 upgrade. It's been made pretty clear that if you want to upgrade, the minimum you need to have is a 3gs or best case scenario is to upgrade the firmware by purchasing a new iphone 4. This is no different then any other major upgrade. At some point with any computer, from any company, eventually the latest software outgrows the old firmware. On a side note, just because you go to the apple shop doesn't mean they will tell you what you need to know. Their main job is to sell you something, not to tell you how to fix it yourself for free. Every once and a while you do get that one person who will give you that advise because it's the right thing to do, but not very often. Don't stress however. You can always reinstall the 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 software back into your 3g phone and have it back to it's previous fine working state. Here is a link to the page that will take you through the easy process:

How to re-install iPhone OS 3.1.3 - IPHONETOUCH.BLORGE

After that you can further jailbreak the phone and have things like multitasking that have been available for years on jailbroken iphones that are just now being introduced with the iOS4

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

If apple dont give me a replacement free of charge then im never ever going to buy an apple product again.

I understand your frustration but somehow I doubt you'll follow through on that for the rest of your life :) A sad truth actually

Last edited:

Smartalk

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I updated my iPhone G3 and it is working fine as Vince says it does appear to be a little quicker. You should be able to restore it back to factory resets through iTunes

The only problem I had updating to IOS4 was it was taking 12 hours to run a backup. I discovered by searching the web that this is caused by a corrupted App. I just re sync'd my phone with the Apps bow unchecked, which removed the Apps Retried the backup and was completed withing 2 mins or less. I would try ringing iPhone tecnical support I have always found the excellent and very helpful.

Good Luck keep us posted with any progress

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had a similar experience with my iPod. Shortly after updating the software, it crapped out on me. It was technically fixable, but it would have cost as much as a new mp3 player. So I ditched my iPod and got Zune (with which I am very happy).

tl;dr: Apple blows.

Stretch

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I updated my iPhone G3 and it is working fine as Vince says it does appear to be a little quicker. You should be able to restore it back to factory resets through iTunes

The only problem I had updating to IOS4 was it was taking 12 hours to run a backup. I discovered by searching the web that this is caused by a corrupted App. I just re sync'd my phone with the Apps bow unchecked, which removed the Apps Retried the backup and was completed withing 2 mins or less. I would try ringing iPhone tecnical support I have always found the excellent and very helpful.

Good Luck keep us posted with any progress

I also know that with some 3g phones that have been upgraded to iOS4 there is one way to possibly, but not always, clear up some speed and compatibility issues. It's to reboot the phone twice in a row. Press-hold the Home button (big circle below the screen) and the Sleep/Wake button (on top of the phone) simultaneously. Continue holding both buttons (Ignore the "Slide to power off") until the phone shuts off and begins to restart. Let go when you see the Apple logo or the pineapple if it's jailbroken. Repeat the procedure immediately and then use the phone as normal. This has been known to clear up some of these issues. A good tip for any iPhone is to run the reboot every once and a while, (just once, not necessary to repeat in this instance) just to get it back to a healthy state.

alx

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Unfortunately Still no joy, however the link Stretch provided did help get get the phone into DFU mode, however the 3.1.3 firmware I downloaded isn't working as an error 1015 pops up.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The i phone is a overpriced toy. Get yourself a real phone that is safe and reliable. Blackberry is making the best phone out there right now.

alx

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My brothers 3g is now showing error 1604, he is now in the same boat as myself apart from my error is 1015.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The problem is that it's an iPhone. The fix is easy enough.

Agreed. As I wrote in a different thread regarding Apple, their products say much more about the vanity of their users than anything about reliability or real technological breakthroughs. They are expensive toys for people with cash to burn: we mere mortals get by just fine on the shit we can actually afford.

Watch them wring out their hankies in bitter disappointment over the loss: one customer means nothing to them.