iphone vs blackberry bold vs anything else

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Skull Mason, Jan 2, 2009.

?

Which cell phone do you like/want?

1. iphone

16 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. blackberry bold

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. anything else?

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm in the market for a new phone, looking to upgrade, which phone do you think? I am big on texting. What about you?

#1 Skull Mason, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  2. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Read up on it..
    The early reviews on the new touch screen blackberry are not good.

I have heard the folks who bought one are screamin mad because the thing is glacially slow and buggy.

iPhone, however, is in its third iteration, its a more mature technology and system...and has a LOT of apps already available. YOu can also play music, movies and even games on it.

Give blackberry a year or so to fine tune and improve their system...

Meanwhile... the iPhone, from a company famous for intuitive, powerful, and satisfying interface technology.... has redefined the entire future of what a moblie phone will be.

Just as windows attempts to match the usability of the Mac OS always fell a year or four behind...

The iPhone will, for a while at least, remain the front runner in terms of sophistication and interface.

I say go with the proven product.

3. MalakingTiti

Gold Member

Albums:
    The Blackberry Storm runs circles around both of these.

4. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah I have been doing a lot of reading recently, just wanted to open up a discussion here. The blackberry I particularly mention is the Bold, I believe you are referring to the Storm, which is the new touchscreen blackberry. I'm still on the fence with that, it has a click screen and looks kind of slow. If I am going touch screen I am going with an iphone.

But for the life of me I can't figure out HOW ON EARTH Apple (of which I have always been a supporter of) has left out key features on the "most high tech phone on Earth" that even the most basic of phones can do. No video recording? No sending or receiving picture messages? No cut/paste? Damn, what is up with that?

A pal has a Bold that I have played around with a few times, and it is a real nice phone. Beautiful screen. But I hate windows type shit. I have also played around on my brother's iphone, but am concerned with the virtual keyboard and typos. I need to be able to text very quickly, and I am not sure if I can get it done on the iphone. Has anyone here been able to do it? Do you eventually "learn" the keyboard better and become more accurate over time?

I am hoping at macworld in a few days they announce that they will bring some of the BASIC features mentioned above to the jesusphone.

5. nikebasketball18

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    iPhone is the way to go. At first, typing is slow. However, once you begin to trust the iPhone's dictionary, you pretty much just have to hit your thumbs in the general direction of the letters.

It's a good size, the ability to play 16GB of music is unparalleled and countless apps are waiting for your very thumbs. My iPhone has taken some stunning pics.

Just do it.

6. faktorthis2651

faktorthis2651 New Member

I hope your kidding! I have an Iphone and I love it mainly because you can hack it and do basically anything you want on it. Also the texting on it is amazing because its setup is basically like a instant messaging system.

7. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    Can you hack it and send MMS messages and take video?

8. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Yes, I am thinking of the touchscreen... no, it doesn't run circle around anything but the drain from all report.

Trust me... one way or another, you want a touchcreen phone...
    The reason the iPhone is revolutionary is because its really a telecom equipped Computing platform.
    As such, like your PC, it can turn itself into just about anything thru software.

Unlike dedicated phones, you can upgrade the iPhone's abilites as new software comes out for it and as Apple updates the OS that runs the iPhone.

Blackberry is going for the same thing with its touchscreen... but for them this a a NEW thing... and they have not got it right yet.

Apple, on the other hand, has a lot of experience making durable and drool worthy interfaces for durable and drool worthy hardware.

Because all phones will work like the iPhone in the next 5 years.... you might as well get a jump on the crowd and go with the industry innovator and leader.
    They are always gonna be a generation or two ahead of the competition.

9. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm with you on everything Phil its just that they don't fucking have MMS or video!!! Apple drives me INSANE with what they do sometimes. All this slick minority report type shit yet you can't even tell if a call was incoming or outgoing in the call history!!! WHY WHYYYY!!! WHY WAS NINEINCH BANNED

10. novice_btm

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh my gosh! I almost wet myself reading that one.
    :rofl:

11. faktorthis2651

faktorthis2651 New Member

Yes you can you can download cycorder for free and I saw something dealing with mms messages for free also so yes

12. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Lots of folks blame Apple for features they could not offer cause ATT wasn't up to it yet.

You have to remember that Apple had to partner with a carrier that was willing to make THEIR system compliant with the iPhone... They could not just use any ole carrier... and they did not want folks with iPhones connecting to networks that could not support the phone's features.
    ATT had to install a HUGE capacity just to handle the introduction of the phone, at tremendous cost...
    the trade off was they wanted exclusivity.

That's not apple's fault.

As to the MMS and Video? Who CARES about messaging? or emailing video? messaging and video mail are for teenage chicks... the iPhone is for MEN.

(BTW- MMS is dying. Once the iPhone model is the norm, you will be able to Email from anywhere to anyone using the iPhone's email client. And it already has SMS capability. )

13. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Gotta disagree with you there Phil. Messaging isn't just for teenagers. We message all the fucking time in Europe, and I'm no spring chicken. It's cheaper than making a call and many times it's faster because you don't have to make any small talk. Just the fact mame'

If I am outside my mobile carrier's home turf, I'll send a simple message rather than pay the roaming rates. In my work, MMS has been useful for sending files and photos from the jobsite.

iPhone is for MEN... lol. good one

14. camchain

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    100% IPHONE 3G. fantastic piece of kit. ok no picture massaging, you have email so take a picture and email it, thay see a bigger picture, that is what i do. and with wi-fi free for the first year, can't go wrong, i love mine.

15. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah cmon Phil that is some bs. MMS will never die. It is a quick and easy way to show someone something, whether through work or pleasure. Who wants to use their email when you can just send it off through a MMS? And considering the iphone model is NOT the norm right now, most people do not want to check their email to see a picture. Especially those people who are not email savvy.

I have sent pictures to people who unknowingly to me had iphones, and they tell me they don't even bother to go look at the pictures because it is a pain in the ass. I don't think there is any other way to look at it then to think Apple just totally fucked that one up. It doesn't take much bandwidth or whatever to send or receive a MMS message.

If I am going to have the most advanced phone on the planet it better be able to send and receive a fucking picture message or 15 second video clip. And taking video will never be dead either.

If anything the iphone is for the consumer or teenage boy, whereas a blackberry bold is for the professional. I would like to know peoples experiences with the iphone's virtual keyboard regarding typos etc as well.

And no fan boyism!

16. camchain

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    well i am no teenage boy, but out of the 4 mobiles i have ownd since 1999,
    and getting the iphone in october, it is the first time i have been able to send text messages without fumbling around with the phones keys.
    the touch screan keyboard is a god send for me.
    it is just the same as useing the keyboard on the computer, no stupid, press ''a'' to select ''c'', sort of thing, like on my last sony one.
    much easy'r and faster to use.
    so yes, i can send text's now..

17. BobLeeSwagger

Gold Member

They are bizarre oversights by Apple. I'm very happy with my iPhone overall. There are times when I think that a pic message would be helpful, but it doesn't come up that often, at least for me. Then again, most of the pic messages someone has sent me have been of the lame dirty joke variety, so I don't often miss it. Video recording would be a nice feature, but it would suck up disk space and battery life. Apple didn't design the iPhone's CPU with that in mind, for better or worse.

Yes, it does get easier. After a while you learn to trust that it will correct a typo when you see a common mistake. Some corrections don't work, obviously. If you meant to type "has", but typed "had" instead, it won't correct it, since the latter is a common word too. But even with some of the typos, the versatility more than makes up for it. Having the big screen with no physical keyboard in the way during all the times when you aren't typing (which is most of the time) is very convenient.

It really is a pain in the ass. You're sent to a pic retrieval site and have to input an ID and password to view the pic. And since there's no copy/paste, you have to write down or memorize both in order to view it. There have been only a handful of times that it seemed worthwhile.

The consensus seems to be that it's AT&T that is interfering with MMS on the iPhone for some reason. Cut and paste is on Apple though, since it's their OS. Everyone seems to agree that it's coming soon, and Apple has acknowledged that they're working on it, but haven't come up with an implementation yet that isn't too cumbersome. Whatever.

18. dong20

Gold Member

As a concept I like the iPhone immensely. For me, the original had too many shortfalls but the 2nd generation (3G) model is better. Although in reality there isn't much difference between them other then adding 3G and GPS. I very rarely make video calls, but I use my phone's 3G and GPS functionality quite a bit so their lack was a deal breaker for me.

There are other things I dislike but of course that applies to many consumer devices and one can work around or become attuned to them. Personally, for SMS I prefer traditional keys, I find them much faster and easier - especially for one handed operation.

The lack of out of the box MMS is an irritant and a bizzare oversight in Europe - although I seldom send MMS messages so it isn't quite a deal breaker. The inability to capture video is more of a nuisance, even more so is the lack of memory card facility. The release of Hyperoffice has negated some of my reservations about business connectivity.

What has primarily stopped me from buying one is Apple's continued protectionist attitudes - seeking to restrict 'who' can use one and on what network and/or tariff. The release on PAYG was a [small] step forward. Intial, short term network tie-ins are OK but it's been too long now and as all UK networks have long been fully capable of supporting all functionality, they should all be allowed to offer this product.

Apple's policy flies in the face of fair and open competition in the marketplace, but it's evidently in their nature, and IMO it has cost them dearly over the years. While I appreciate the rationale behind it, I think they have a tendency to carry it too far.

Speaking for myself, if I buy something, I consider it mine, to do with (e.g. personalise/customise) as I please. Nominal locking is acceptable, but IMO the lengths that some manufacturers (and not just Apple) go to to prevent it, is excessive.

I wish they would drop this elitist attitude, whatever device we're talking about - in the end it's only a phone/PC/audiovideo player ... but then I guess that's part of the appeal, for some at least.

I like the Blackberry too, but they are pitching their products at a different market segment, I'm not sure one can make a meaningful comparison beyond the technical and on that front I'd say the Apple has it.

19. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes I was wondering about this, is it possible to text one handed on the iphone?

20. D_Portelay Porquesword

I own a Blackberry Curve. I enjoy the features it offers, most of the additional services I won't pay for due to the higher costs. What I have for now suits my needs just fine. I love this phone, the calender, address book, photo messaging, texting functions are all easy to use. I need the additional memory card to customize ring tones with music files and I am totally set. I have had this phone for 4 months now and no complaints so far.

I wanted an iPhone originally but when the opportunity came up to get this BB curve for a very small fee I jumped on it. One can always upgrade later (which is what I plan to do) but I am in on hurry to do so, I can even get trade in credit with this phone.

Draft saved Draft deleted