• blackberry bold

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • anything else?

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Sorry, all of this shit is really overhyped. I can think of maybe one person among all my friends who has a busy enough life to validate having an iPhone or some sort of PDA/phone device, and he's an assistant professor. I'm a fan of getting the best product to do the best job, whatever it is.

If I need to talk... a cell phone. If I need to send a text message... a cell phone, or better yet, wait five damn minutes and actually place a call. (And don't get me started about the $100 cell phone bill from text message pre wising-up and getting a plan.) If I need to take a picture, then how about a digital camera? Organizer's on paper or on my computer. Address book is the same way.

Today's challenge is to recite from memory the top five or ten phone numbers you call regularly. No peeking!

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
You can text one handed on the iPhone.
Its keyboard actually works remarkably well.

As to the complaint about APPLE'S protectionist policies..
That's just inventing stuff to whine about.

here are the facts.

1- Here in the States MOST people get their phones at vastly reduced prices in exchange for having the things locked to a specific carrier... so, number one, its pretty much SOP here.

2- the iPhone is a NEW telecom paradigm... it replaces traditional cell phones with add on features with a COMPUTER that has a telecom feature. It is switching the entire idea of telephony to being ancillary to its usefulness as a mobile net client and software platform. This will allow the user to Update their phone, rather than replace them to get new features.

3- Apple's products are consistently satisfying and predictable in their functions BECAUSE they exercise control over both hardware and software.
The argument that it would be better if it were more open is made by folks who don't understand that apple's products are good specifically because they exert more control over them.

4- Apple is not doing this alone... having an iPhone that can connect thru other providers would not get you anything... because other providers do not have the installed equipment nor software compatibility to enable many of the iPhones features.

Losing half the product's functionality in return for being able to use a differnet provider? WHo the fuck cares about the provider? I don't give a damn about what CABLE company is sending me television signals....

The primary issue is that Apple lives and dies on the reputation of its products and the satisfying customer experience of how well they work.
They are unwilling to allow YOU to connect to a provider that will result in your having a poor opinion of the product. They want you to connect thru a provider that is on board with their quality demands and that will help ensure that your experience of the product is superior.

I get it that folks don't like to be told they can't have what they want... but seriously... Apple's intent is ALWAYS to ensure you are NOT frustrated with USING the product...
Apple's design philosophy is that the experience of using the product is what matters most.

The new touch screen blackberry is a recognition that this new idea for what a cell phone ought to be and how it ought to work is the better idea.

Thus far, cell phones have taken a 2 year development cycle to produce a product with a 6 month sales life, before some other company comes out with a phone with a better gizmo added on.

The iPhone paradigm will allow one piece of hardware to last much longer, and require far less modification to keep up with new features as they come online.
THis will enable phone makers to invest MORE time and quality into the base phone platform, because that platform will be upgradable thru software.

I am certain the New blackberry touch screen will be working far better in its second iteration... and that other companies will come out with competing products.
I am sure that, eventually, more and more carriers will make their cell networks fully complaint with these devices.

But I am equally sure that the iPhone will always be somewhat ahead of the curve given Apple's software/hardware experience and its significant lead.

And all the complaints of MMS and the like... the nice thing about that is that its ALL addressable thru software. Its not something burned into a chipset, so you can know that when it becomes available,you won't have to buy a new phone.

Pictures?....How my son send me pictures is uploads them to his Mac photoalbum and then simply emails me the link.
Works fine.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If I need to talk... a cell phone. If I need to send a text message... a cell phone, or better yet, wait five damn minutes and actually place a call. If I need to take a picture, then how about a digital camera? Organizer's on paper or on my computer. Address book is the same way.

I am just not big on carrying around a digital camera, an organizer, a computer, or an address book at the same time. If I could only have one small device that does all of the above I think I would be ok.

nubian

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Washington (Washington, D.C., United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I own a Blackberry Curve. I enjoy the features it offers, most of the additional services I won't pay for due to the higher costs. What I have for now suits my needs just fine. I love this phone, the calender, address book, photo messaging, texting functions are all easy to use. I need the additional memory card to customize ring tones with music files and I am totally set. I have had this phone for 4 months now and no complaints so far.

I wanted an iPhone originally but when the opportunity came up to get this BB curve for a very small fee I jumped on it. One can always upgrade later (which is what I plan to do) but I am in on hurry to do so, I can even get trade in credit with this phone.

I have had my Curve for about 14 months and absolutely love it. It's also a pretty durable phone, considering I have dropped it on concrete more than once and it still works just fine:)

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well I don't know about the Blackberry, but my buddy has an Iphone and he's a big texter also, the only thing I can tell you is that everytime he sends me a text over his Iphone, it is usually largely misspelled and a lot of the time makes no sense at all. For the first couple months he had it he complained about how hard it was to text. However, it is a very versatile phone and easy to use once you get used to it...that's my 2 cents

...I have a BlackJack and am pretty pleased with it. It could have more features, but it's easy to use and text on, battery lasts a decent amount of time plus they included an extended length battery for free, sound quality is very good, and I've never had one problem with it for the 2 years I've had it

Last edited:

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This will allow the user to Update their phone, rather than replace them to get new features.

Well, is that not really what happened when everyone had to run out and buy the second generation 3g iphone? I can see Apple waiting for the 3rd generation iphone to say "oh we have MMS and video now, buy our new one!"

And all the complaints of MMS and the like... the nice thing about that is that its ALL addressable thru software. Its not something burned into a chipset, so you can know that when it becomes available,you won't have to buy a new phone.

This is my entire point Phil, why have they not allowed this yet? If it is addressable through software, then what is the fucking deal!?!?! I mean seriously, is there any logic behind leaving these key features out of this futuristic iphone, other than to possibly add them later and burn us once again with the 3rd iteration of the iphone? They could have flat out trounced any and all competition but instead they kept the door open for their competitors.

I'm still hoping that macworld will address this issue but historically it is not probable....

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
If anything the iphone is for the consumer or teenage boy, whereas a blackberry bold is for the professional. I would like to know peoples experiences with the iphone's virtual keyboard regarding typos etc as well.

And no fan boyism!

What? What does any blackberry offer that is more "business"...?

Full throttle direct web access, and the email thing iPhone's got...
Stock tracking, spreadsheets, and even custom business specfic software are already on the iphone... with more coming daily.

As far as I can tell, Blackberry will not even have third party development... will it?

Again... I am sure the Blackberry will be great... once they get their shit together... but right now buyers and are not generally happy with them.

As to MMS... I really could care less... but, hey, I am sure it will get worked out if enough people want it.

Video? Meh. I have never seen a video clip from a phone that was worth the time it took to download it, much less watch it.

And as to fanboy... I am not.
Hell, I don't even have an iPhone, tho lots of folks I know do.

I am not generally an Early adopter. I don't want to pay more to be the test rat for a new device. I won't buy the first year of a major body change in a car, Nor the first year of some new fangled transmission, for example.

That would be my principal objection to buying the new blackberry this year.

And the iPhone is only, just now, convincing me that it is ready for prime time.

But I do recognize a better idea when I see one... and I do tend to wait long enough to determine which competing technology will be the one that sticks around. I didn't get stuck with an 8 track... and I didn't get stuck with HD-DVD player, either.

When it comes to computers, music players and other such things... these days, just about any of them will do the job.

So a primary choice you get to make is WHO gets your money.

Me, I prefer to give my money to the companies that are the innovators...the ones that are raising the bar and stretching the boundaries... the ones whose lead everyone else ends up following...

I bought an Audi because the DSG transmission is the biggest break-thru in transmission design in 30 years. Porsche, BMW and Mercedes are all following Audi's lead

When it comes to phones... the real innovator is Apple.
Blackberry is just the first that will follow this lead.

So who do you reward?

The originator? or the knockoff?

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
This is my entire point Phil, why have they not allowed this yet? If it is addressable through software, then what is the fucking deal!?!?!
Well... on the one hand, you don't know that the problem is with Apple. MMS has to be something ATT is compatible with... People lambasted Apple over DRM on iTunes... but the truth was that Jobs fought fiercely to try and get music companies to let it go...For well over a year prior to the initial release of iTunes. He got them to go for 99cent songs...he just could not get them to budge on DRM.
It could be that MMS requires paying some kind of royalty to the folks who came up with the protocol... and there may be a dispute due to the fact that Apple is NOT using a ROM chip version, but trying to implement a software only solution...
Its hard to tell about myriad complications that arise when developing such a complicated device.

...on the other hand I am 100% WITH YOU on the way Apple releases a cool thing... WITHOUT several obvious features it could easily have put in.

Then comes up with a NEW generation that has SOME of those things, but not others... and then another version that finally has all the bells and whistles.

But I would point out that Apple is not the only company that does this..
Its a form of Tiered Product Introduction, ( like selling the same computer with an choice of 3 different speed processors ) where you purposely release a version you know will sell to early adopters... knowing full well a fuller featured version, later, will prompt them to buy again.

This has, sadly, become the model for how LOTS of companies release products... like the Pontiac Solstice... probably the best looking roadster GM has ever managed to produce... but the first year it was grossly underpowered.
They knew it was drool worthy and that folks would buy it even with a cheaper motor.
And they could always shoehorn a turbo in the following year for the folks who wanted it, but not without more power.
Why didn't they just give it more power at first? Because stats show that results in fewer sales than phased development.

I am pretty sure Apple came up with the G3 iPhone later because ATT was not ready with their 3G system in the States.
I know Apple specified ATT had to have pre-installed capacity for 1 million new users before the initial iPhone went on sale.

But there is no doubt that Apple and most other phone makers release their hottest products in a phased development pattern and that they do so to maximize sales.

I don't like it any more than you do... but the economics of the electronics business are harsh...

And then, that is also just another reason I am not an early adopter.

Now that the new system for the iPhone is out on a G3 phone... and given that I really would never use picture messaging nor video... I am finally considering buying an iPhone, too.

They have an app available that enables you to use it as an inclinometer and spirit level. In my business, that would be a useful thing to have at hand...

I mean seriously, is there any logic behind leaving these key features out of this futuristic iphone, other than to possibly add them later and burn us once again with the 3rd iteration of the iphone? They could have flat out trounced any and all competition but instead they kept the door open for their competitors.

I'm still hoping that macworld will address this issue but historically it is not probable....[/QUOTE]

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What? What does any blackberry offer that is more "business"...?

copy/paste (can't do on iphone)
multitasking (can't do on iphone-only one app at a time)
blackberry works as tethered modem (can't do on iphone)
stereo bluetooth capability (can't do on iphone)
ability to edit word and excel documents (can't do it on iphone)
video (can't do on iphone)
MMS (can't do on iphone)
better email functionality

By the way I wasn't referring to you as a fanboy, just to everyone in general. It is hard to get an unbiased view online as every discussion turns into a fanboy vs fanboy thread.

Phil I agree with all your points regarding Apple always pushing the envelop, and I would rather reward them as well than another company (I have spent thousands of dollars on Mac Pros etc). I am just still bothered by what they have eft out.

I also haven't heard any negative reviews of the blackberry bold, but I have a feeling you have been referring to all the previous blackberry phones. You should take a look at the bold, it was designed with a more consumer touch. I am not thinking about getting any other blackberry. Just the bold, or the iphone.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You can text one handed on the iPhone.
Its keyboard actually works remarkably well.

As to the complaint about APPLE'S protectionist policies..
That's just inventing stuff to whine about.

here are the facts.

I hope they are facts, because the foregoing was merely opinion and all I have done is expressed my opinion. Your strenuous defense of Apple is noteworthy, but not everyone feels the same as you. That doesn't make them, or you, wrong.

1- Here in the States MOST people get their phones at vastly reduced prices in exchange for having the things locked to a specific carrier... so, number one, its pretty much SOP here.

Well, I don't live in the US so am not unduly concerned or interested in mobile telecoms SOP there. But, that said, the same business model is pretty much replicated in Europe too, although not all networks lock all phones.

PAYG phones are nearly always network locked and more expensive but then end users are free to unlock them as they wish. The iPhone is perhaps the only phone (that I know of) where a network/phone manufacturer has gone to such lenghts to try and prevent it being used on another's network. Some blackberry functionality is also network dependent but in a different, less insidious way.

2- the iPhone is a NEW telecom paradigm... it replaces traditional cell phones with add on features with a COMPUTER that has a telecom feature. It is switching the entire idea of telephony to being ancillary to its usefulness as a mobile net client and software platform. This will allow the user to Update their phone, rather than replace them to get new features.

Get over yourself.

I have had many (most, perhaps all in fact) of those FEATURES (do you know how irritating THAT is) on several phones for well over five years. I'd argue that to a significant degree Apple is in fact, playing catch up.

In all fairness, mobile comms in the US had always struck me as being some way behind the times, compared to Europe and Asia. I think that is causing you to paint an overly rosy picture of the iPhone's impact - your asinine remark about SMS being merely one giveway.

3- Apple's products are consistently satisfying and predictable in their functions BECAUSE they exercise control over both hardware and software. The argument that it would be better if it were more open is made by folks who don't understand that apple's products are good specifically because they exert more control over them.

You mean, they're as satisfying and predictable as the end user finds them to be, right?

I have no idea what the rest of the above paragraph means, oh wait - Apple's products are better because they restrict what people (who may pay considerable sums for them) can do with them only as Apple say they can ... sorry, that doesn't work for me and I have a feeling I'm not alone.

I said I understand Apple's motivation, and I do, but that doesn't mean I must agree with the lengths they go to to enforce it, and I don't. I believe that is my right.

4- Apple is not doing this alone... having an iPhone that can connect thru other providers would not get you anything... because other providers do not have the installed equipment nor software compatibility to enable many of the iPhones features.

Perhaps you didn't read my post fully. I believe I stated that all UK networks (other than couple of the virtuals) support all the iPhone features, which quite frankly, in telecoms terms are nothing exceptional. But, perhaps you could list those you consider groundbreaking ...?

Losing half the product's functionality in return for being able to use a differnet provider? WHo the fuck cares about the provider? I don't give a damn about what CABLE company is sending me television signals....

Now you're just being obtuse, or willfully missing the point. But, for the sake of argument why should I be denied the right to use a given device on my chosen network, regardless of the fact that its functionality may (or may not) be restricted? It's called freedom of choice. It's like denying people access to all of the Internet because their dial up isn't fast enough to support parts of it.

The primary issue is that Apple lives and dies on the reputation of its products and the satisfying customer experience of how well they work.
They are unwilling to allow YOU to connect to a provider that will result in your having a poor opinion of the product. They want you to connect thru a provider that is on board with their quality demands and that will help ensure that your experience of the product is superior.

Your evangalising for Apple is getting old. Are you on their PR staff?

iPhone comms functionality isn't anything special, the main innovations are in the interface. The restrictions are primarily commercially driven - any network that can support a Blackberry can support an iPhone. I think you know this but are blinded by the err big Apple.

I get it that folks don't like to be told they can't have what they want... but seriously... Apple's intent is ALWAYS to ensure you are NOT frustrated with USING the product...
Apple's design philosophy is that the experience of using the product is what matters most.

That's rather naive. Apple's intent is also to ensure users are tied to suppliers and providers it approves of. I wonder why ...

I don't doubt Apple wish their customers to have a good opinion of their product (then, I'd argue that's SOP for most manufacturers of products) but surely you're not so naive as to believe it's motivation is entirely altruistic, are you?

The new touch screen blackberry is a recognition that this new idea for what a cell phone ought to be and how it ought to work is the better idea.

But neither of these was the first touch screen PDA type phone, not by a long way. I purchased my first years ago.

Thus far, cell phones have taken a 2 year development cycle to produce a product with a 6 month sales life, before some other company comes out with a phone with a better gizmo added on.

Your point being ...?

The iPhone paradigm will allow one piece of hardware to last much longer, and require far less modification to keep up with new features as they come online.

Enough with the paradigm please. It isn't one, it's simply an evolution in technology. It does little or nothing that other phones don't do, it simply does some of them better.

But I am equally sure that the iPhone will always be somewhat ahead of the curve given Apple's software/hardware experience and its significant lead.

Until it's overtaken, yes.

I was referring to out of the box functionality, as I wrote. I don't recall saying that because it wasn't built in it wasn't possible. My telephone didn't do a number of things it now does through software. So what - oh yes I could choose what software I wanted, from a wide and low cost range! If I wanted, I could even write my own.

Pictures?....How my son send me pictures is uploads them to his Mac photoalbum and then simply emails me the link.
Works fine.

No, it works fine for him and for you Phil - do you begin to see my point?

For example; I can take, edit and send a picture to another's phone, to my home network, to an online service, to a digital photo frame etc using out of the box functionality - without leaving the camera application.

On a purely practical level, your son must utilise at least two applications and you must undertake at least one - which may cost you both money (whereas receiving an MMS in Europe does not and in many cases neither does sending one). Some paradigm.

Sorry, I see no new facts from you, just more opinion. I'm not trying to knock the iPhone, really I'm not I like it a great deal. I'm simply trying to put it in some perspective. You appear to be in denial that it (and Apple) are anything but perfection.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am just not big on carrying around a digital camera, an organizer, a computer, or an address book at the same time. If I could only have one small device that does all of the above I think I would be ok.

It has it's downside, if someone steals it!! But I back up my stuff over the air if I consider it vital, otherwise it waits until I get home.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Blackberry Storm is turning me into a CrackBerry addict

You can check out their forums on the typing speed issue -- really not as slow as you are led to believe, once you get the hang of it

iphone is for the WalMart crowd

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, is that not really what happened when everyone had to run out and buy the second generation 3g iphone? I can see Apple waiting for the 3rd generation iphone to say "oh we have MMS and video now, buy our new one!"

See, you get it!

This is my entire point Phil, why have they not allowed this yet? If it is addressable through software, then what is the fucking deal!?!?! I mean seriously, is there any logic behind leaving these key features out of this futuristic iphone, other than to possibly add them later and burn us once again with the 3rd iteration of the iphone? They could have flat out trounced any and all competition but instead they kept the door open for their competitors.

I'm still hoping that macworld will address this issue but historically it is not probable....

In any contempory high end mobile telecoms device, certain functionality should be a 'given'. IMO, Apple made a mistake with omitting 3G data in V1 (at least in Europe). They have repeated that error, to a lesser degree by omitting some key functionality (such as MMS/ copy & Paste etc) in V2. I cannot believe that is entirely 'accidental' or aimed at ensuring users do not experience 'frustration' with the product when the likelihood is the converse. I could live without the ability to magnify an image by twitching my fingers (for example) far more easily than being unable to copy text etc between apps or have a fully detailed call log.

They have, IMO then rubbed it in by aggressive network locking policies and high prices.

It took RIM a long time to add a camera to any of their models, but as I have already stated those devices were not aimed at the consumer market. The iPhone is.

D_Pubert Stabbingpain

Account Disabled
Media
I have a Sprint Palm Treo 700P. One of the first things I did, after putting Call Block on it, was to get a touch icon interface. But that is just for the major programs. The regular touch interface is not accurate enough when I use drop down menus, etc. I don't do the word processing and office crap at all so it is wasted for that. My contract is up in Feb.

My biggest problem is reception. Although Verizon's map shows good reception Verizon "certified" that I live in one of their non-existent dead zones (you know, the one where the people disappear and the crab grass grows? :biggrin1:) so they let me out of my contract and I gave away the phone as a gift.

Sprint's map shows me as "THE BEST" reception but I get dropped calls and horrible reception, even when connecting to the Internet, that I do a lot. I narrowed it down, *I think,* to the phone as I can be in a great reception area and just turn the phone around and the call drops! But I had the same, even worse issues like the phone not ringing and getting voice mails a week later, with my older phone. Sprint's IPhone competitor (argumentative, I know) is the Instinct that touts better GPS, 2 batteries, "4x larger 3G and more reliable network than IPhone," (please note the quotes!), and Speech recog.

I have been watching IPhone reviews. I am concerned with the battery. When it dies, what do you have to do?

Reception is the #1 concern and will be the deal maker for me which is why I am thinking about trying out the GO Phone with AT&T for a month to see how good the reception is but they aren't 3G, correct? Internet connection is #2. I need reliable internet coverage as well and although I don't text much I would if it were on my plan. I have to say though that having at least a camera is a real nice security blanket, especially when driving in crazy Phoenix. AT&T says they will let me try out the IPhone for 30 days but with a restocking fee if I return it.

Comments?

MalakingTiti

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I hope your kidding! I have an Iphone and I love it mainly because you can hack it and do basically anything you want on it. Also the texting on it is amazing because its setup is basically like a instant messaging system.

You are obviously unaware of the capabilities of the Storm. Plus the VZW network on which it operates is far superior.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Plus the VZW network on which it operates is far superior.

This is true, which is holding me back from leaving and hopping on the ATT bandwagon just to get an iphone I can't send picture messages with (or copy/paste or record video or) and make typos or get the Bold, which will come out for verizon in a few months anyway.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
But for the life of me I can't figure out HOW ON EARTH Apple (of which I have always been a supporter of) has left out key features on the "most high tech phone on Earth" that even the most basic of phones can do. No video recording? No sending or receiving picture messages? No cut/paste? Damn, what is up with that?

Well, they have to save something for the software updates and new versions when the competition catches up! :biggrin1:

Actually, a lot of the holdbacks on the technology isn't because of Apple. Working for a store that deals with Apple products a lot, I've come to learn that a lot of outside sources tend to impede on their ideas. AT&T has pulled out every stunt in their arsenal not only to keep the phone an exclusive to them, but they also charge an insane rate for what is essentially cellular phone service. The technology has been around for more than 2 decades, yet they still want to charge someone close to $130 a month for unlimited phone and web access? Texting, e-mail, listening to music and surfing the net on a cell phone is nothing new. Adding software packages to enhance the handheld is as old as the Palm Pilots that precede it. They only get away with charging that much because of the demand for the product but even that becomes a lame excuse after a while. This unnecessary price gouging prevents the technology from evolving to the level that it already should be at. Why else do we have countries that have cell phones that far surpass our own? The iPhone has a full OS in it. It can do a hell of a lot more than what it already has. I've seen people control full professional music production suites with the iPhone. But we'll never see the full potential of the device if AT&T continues to price gouge. They already charge high fees for internet content delivery... and at their inflated prices, adding things like picture messages and video conferencing would make the rates go through the roof.

Some of it, however, could be Apple's fault. The fact that there's still no Flash for their Safari Browser on the iPhone boggles the mind. Maybe Adobe is trying to charge too much for the technology? Or maybe Apple is intentionally holding out knowing that Flash content usually requires more bandwidth similar to picture messages and such? Either way, I'd expect to see something like this happen before any other major announcements are made.

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes I was wondering about this, is it possible to text one handed on the iphone?

Yes, I do it all the time. Like anything else, the touchscreen keyboard takes some getting used to. But when you do, it works fine.

I have been watching IPhone reviews. I am concerned with the battery. When it dies, what do you have to do?

Battery life is fine unless you do a lot of web browsing, games, or watching movies. Those do suck up battery life to varying degrees. Web browsing uses more power on the 3G network, not so much on Wifi or Edge. When it gets low I either connect it to my AC adapter, the dock to the computer, or my car charger. All of them charge the phone quite fast.

Reception is the #1 concern and will be the deal maker for me which is why I am thinking about trying out the GO Phone with AT&T for a month to see how good the reception is but they aren't 3G, correct? Internet connection is #2. I need reliable internet coverage as well and although I don't text much I would if it were on my plan. I have to say though that having at least a camera is a real nice security blanket, especially when driving in crazy Phoenix. AT&T says they will let me try out the IPhone for 30 days but with a restocking fee if I return it.

Comments?

Do you know anyone that uses AT&T for cellphone service? You could see how the reception on their phone is at your home, work, etc. Unfortunately, the cell networks vary so drastically that they tend to have different dead spots and signal strength. (Except at my house, where all cell coverage sucks despite being in a city of 200,000. :mad:)

I used to have Verizon and it was definitely better. But it wasn't so much better that I regret getting an iPhone. I've had a few more call drops than before, but that's over months. The data network is decent. I haven't encountered that many problems.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes, I do it all the time. Like anything else, the touchscreen keyboard takes some getting used to. But when you do, it works fine.

Can you text quickly and efficiently with it without having to correct typos etc? With my simple, old ass cell phone I can rifle off texts at the speed of light and hold conversations with multiple people and mack multiple women simultaneously. I guess I am just used to it, I can text without even looking at it while I am having a conversation with a person looking them in the eye. Just simple t9 on an LG phone.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The complainers just don't understand... like willfull little babies they want what they want... and what they want is the OLD shit they are used to.
Vinyl is making an important point.

iPhones are one of the most expensive phones to produce. They are chock full of features no other phone can match...'yet'...
And each of those features has a cost of implementation.

Every technology you guys mention requires paying some kind of fee to some licensor.
The licensors have established pricing for ROM versions of their technology...and many resist or refuse RAM based versions. They want their shit on CHIPS as a means of securing their proprietary software as the industry standard.
Software in memory is open to hacking... and more importantly, easier for competitors to source and try to code non-infringing competing protocols.

Apple is not going to postpone a great product just because they can't get affordable licensing for a couple of features.
Neither are they going to acquiesce to licensing fees that would double the price of their phone, and impair market penetration.

The truth is that a lot of telephony based technologies... like MMS... were invented to work optimally on telephone systems....

The thing about the iPhone is that Apple is introducing the opportunity of REPLACING MMS, SMS and other old features, with entirely NEW paradigms that will be even better and cost less to implement.
Who the fuck needs messaging when you have full featured email AND iChat from your pocket to everyone else's pocket?

Like other Apple innovations, and unlike other phone makers, they are relying on 3rd party developers to help with this process of innovation... and let the best solution win.

Who the fuck needs to send people pictures by an OUTMODED telephony exhange when you can send them vial email and, soon, via iChat?

TO keep the price/feature set competitive... having one thing means giving up something else.

If having Video messaging on the iPhone meant Losing the accelerometers that enable it to sense orientation... fuck that...

Apple looked at the cell phone, NOT from the perspective of what it had become in the hands of telecoms...
But at what it COULD become and what it Ought to be able to do to enhance your actual like.

The implementation of google maps and yellow pages, alone, is vastly more important and useful than texting, picture messaging, and video clipping put together.

And, again, Apple has taken the power over such features OUT of the hands of the telecoms, and put it INTO the hands of independent programers and coders.

THAT is the power of what Apple is doing.
As pointed out above... most of the features of the iPhone have been done, in some fashion, before. Bet never this many, this well, and all together.

More importantly... it is HOW they are being done. Apple is opening an eminently flexible mobile platform to the kind of limitless development that the desktop computer has enjoyed these past 30 years.
No one else, not even blackberry, is doing that.

You guys wanna make some money?
Write the code that will give the iPhone MMS-like capability over the internet connection it already has and put it up for sale on the App store.