Iraqi

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So would you ever consider a friendship (or more) with an Iraqi or from another country where you have been told the baddies live?

What brings you to your way of thinking in either a pro or con direction?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Of course I would.

Firstly - individuals are not their State.

Secondly - I am not the kind of person who allows someone else to tell me who 'the baddies' are.

Thirdly - take it where you can get it, baby :wink:

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Quite a while back I worked with guys from Iran and Egypt and they were very nice.

I would never judge a person or fault them from where they came from.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Is this a serious question, really?

I don't think it is such a bad question - phrased a little strangely maybe - but essentially he's asking 'do you allow cultural and political restraints from your own nation / culture dictate who you have relationships (of any kind) with?'

I think it is quite an interesting topic.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't think it is such a bad question - phrased a little strangely maybe - but essentially he's asking 'do you allow cultural and political restraints from your own nation / culture dictate who you have relationships (of any kind) with?'

I think it is quite an interesting topic.

Maybe, and I get the premise - just that I'd be amazed that anyone would allow such constraints to override their personal judgement. I suppose it's because such a consideration would never occur to me that I responded with some incredulity. My response wasn't meant as an attack so much as one of surprise.

The underlying theme has some merit I agree but I just don't think that way. I'd date a Martian if she pushed my buttons in the right sequence(at least I believe I would). BTW that's not meant to offend cute Venusians/Europans/<insert chosen ET lifeform here>.:wink:

So to answer the question; would I have a relationship with a citizen of a baddie nation?

Absolutely.

And if so (or not); why?

Because (as you said) people are people, not nations. What else is there to consider?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Maybe, and I get the premise - just that I'd be amazed that anyone would allow such constraints to override their personal judgement. I suppose it's because such a consideration would never occur to me that I responded with some incredulity. My response wasn't meant as an attack so much as one of surprise.

[snip]

Because (as you said) people are people, not nations. What else is there to consider?

Well - unfortunately not everyone sees it the same way as you or me. In college I knew a black girl who would not date white boys. I have known a few Irish people who would not consider an English partner. I have known several people of one religious persuasion who would not date members of certain other faiths. And I am sure there are plenty of Americans who would not date or be friends with an Iraqi, and indeed vice versa - although my own prejudices show through in that I don't feel so much distaste for the latter.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am not sure why I would hesitate to be friends with an Iraqi. They are not our enemies. Don't forget, we were the ones who invaded them for no reason.

hot-rod

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think human beings everywhere are the same with the same needs and feelings. People are sometimes the way they are because of the tyrants who govern their country. I think people should try and rid themselves of antipeople leaders like we have here in our own country. I think dark skin people of the Middle East are a beautiful and sexy people and there are gays in Iraq and Iran too.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well - unfortunately not everyone sees it the same way as you or me. In college I knew a black girl who would not date white boys. I have known a few Irish people who would not consider an English partner. I have known several people of one religious persuasion who would not date members of certain other faiths. And I am sure there are plenty of Americans who would not date or be friends with an Iraqi, and indeed vice versa - although my own prejudices show through in that I don't feel so much distaste for the latter.

As have I (and a few other equally bizarre examples). It's very common in Africa, usually along tribal lines. In some instances 'transgression' can result in ostrisization, violence or even death - for one or both parties, and even their immediate family.

I understand that these things happen, I have had to tip-toe around them on occasion but I'm under no obligation to accept their validity. Of course my opinions are rooted in my own upbringing and culture - as those holding views I consider bonkers base them on theirs.

Ultimately, who's to say which is more valid? Though I'll always err on the side of freedom of choice, I do appreciate not everyone is able (or willing if they're able) to do so.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So would you ever consider a friendship (or more) with an Iraqi or from another country where you have been told the baddies live?

What brings you to your way of thinking in either a pro or con direction?

I am not a sheep. I decide who I like and dislike on my own views. With me, people are judged on their own merit, not the rantings of some tiny moron at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

You would be amazed at how many sheep are out there. A good example? There is a young woman at work who is white and a devout Muslim. She goes to do her prayers at the prescribed time in one of the conference rooms. There is an older black gentleman and he gets along well with everyone but her. Why you ask? Because she is one of those people who kills Americans for no reason.

No matter how much we may try, ignorance and idiocy still are in abundant supply.

I have ignorant members of my family who hated hated my wife merely because she was white and "since she is white she must be a racist." Fortunately I do not deal with this morons, nor do most of the family. I will say that one cousin from that faction met my wife and oddly enough, met her in her professional capacity and at the time was unaware he was dealing with my wife. he had a change of heart and now loves my wife.

We can all hope that others follow their hearts and not their brainwashed minds.

Puntie

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Well if the US administration believes them to be "baddies", they're more than likely gonna be a really cool people! Eg. Iran - Recently voted the friendliest nation in the world!

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No, I would not let a label or nationality prevent me from speaking and developing a friendship with anyone.

People fear what they don't understand but foolishly many haven't figured out the best way to eliminate those fears is to interact and learn. Xenophobes ultimately punish themselves.

Willy_the_Wonka

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I am not a sheep. I decide who I like and dislike on my own views. With me, people are judged on their own merit, not the rantings of some tiny moron at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Who represents, along with his lackeys (and minions), BTW.... perhaps one of the worst enemies we have been dealt in our liffetimes.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Extremely serious.

Okay. Time to come clean as the saying goes. A few days back, I made the hideous error of passing myself off as what I am not- namely Caucasian. Facts being what they are, I am and always will be the man from Najaf (a little ways south of Baghdad). Mind you I was merely born there and then hurried to the land of enchantment- the United States when I was a month of age. I disassociated with the Iraqi roots as quickly as I could- although my name gave it away every time I blinked. I even immersed myself in the religions of my new country- well, this was more my mother's doing. She felt I would be safer in the future and since we had not been a particularly observant family prior to that, it was all the easier to do.

Fast forward to where we are now- the year is 2007 and in the last 6 years, I have received e-mails on various boards where my heritage is known. Many are hate filled. There are those which have stated that the sender would never allow their child to come in contact with any child of mine (not having any children I get a laugh from that, albeit a sad laugh). When I moved into my apartment I was warmly greeted by a neighbor- I only supplied him with my first name, then my full name was placed on the mailbox and the neighbor called the police. It was a lovely night at the local precinct! The kindly neighbor had indicated that I was involved in suspicious activity late at night- um...hello! I was returning from a trip and those bags were clothing and the such, not bomb making materials!

Then a few nights ago, I was talking with a person who had been referred to me with regards to obtaining a new editor (for himself). We got to talking, going from one subject to another and then we got to politics- he started rambling on about those "damned Arabs" and how they "shouldn't have stopped at Hussein but should have hunted down every last *expletive* Iraqi and..." well, it is a little too gruesome to repeat what he wanted done to us. This man only knew me from my literary endeavors, where I have used a name which does not even hint at my heritage.

So, there you have the reasons one and all (along with my cowardice, I suppose) for not having been straightforward from the start. I am just tired of having to watch over my shoulders to see who is coming to attack me next- I have been spat upon, kicked by small children (at thier parents bidding), punched in the face and in the stomach and pushed forward towards the train tracks as subway train came in- I somehow managed to avoid going over and since then have stayed as far from the platform edge as possible. Hate mail is delivered constantly to my mailbox; however, the local police say nothing can be done as long as I have not been physically harmed by it- how nice! Then again, there is a squad car driving by every few hours, so perhaps they have taken it seriously.

I apologize profusely for misleading, and am happy to have read responses of those who would not see a need to cast aside an Iraqi (although a dishonest one and a cowardly one might well be another matter).

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Extremely serious.

Okay. Time to come clean as the saying goes. A few days back, I made the hideous error of passing myself off as what I am not- namely Caucasian. Facts being what they are, I am and always will be the man from Najaf (a little ways south of Baghdad). Mind you I was merely born there and then hurried to the land of enchantment- the United States when I was a month of age. I disassociated with the Iraqi roots as quickly as I could- although my name gave it away every time I blinked. I even immersed myself in the religions of my new country- well, this was more my mother's doing. She felt I would be safer in the future and since we had not been a particularly observant family prior to that, it was all the easier to do.

Fast forward to where we are now- the year is 2007 and in the last 6 years, I have received e-mails on various boards where my heritage is known. Many are hate filled. There are those which have stated that the sender would never allow their child to come in contact with any child of mine (not having any children I get a laugh from that, albeit a sad laugh). When I moved into my apartment I was warmly greeted by a neighbor- I only supplied him with my first name, then my full name was placed on the mailbox and the neighbor called the police. It was a lovely night at the local precinct! The kindly neighbor had indicated that I was involved in suspicious activity late at night- um...hello! I was returning from a trip and those bags were clothing and the such, not bomb making materials!

Then a few nights ago, I was talking with a person who had been referred to me with regards to obtaining a new editor (for himself). We got to talking, going from one subject to another and then we got to politics- he started rambling on about those "damned Arabs" and how they "shouldn't have stopped at Hussein but should have hunted down every last *expletive* Iraqi and..." well, it is a little too gruesome to repeat what he wanted done to us. This man only knew me from my literary endeavors, where I have used a name which does not even hint at my heritage.

So, there you have the reasons one and all (along with my cowardice, I suppose) for not having been straightforward from the start. I am just tired of having to watch over my shoulders to see who is coming to attack me next- I have been spat upon, kicked by small children (at thier parents bidding), punched in the face and in the stomach and pushed forward towards the train tracks as subway train came in- I somehow managed to avoid going over and since then have stayed as far from the platform edge as possible. Hate mail is delivered constantly to my mailbox; however, the local police say nothing can be done as long as I have not been physically harmed by it- how nice! Then again, there is a squad car driving by every few hours, so perhaps they have taken it seriously.

I apologize profusely for misleading, and am happy to have read responses of those who would not see a need to cast aside an Iraqi (although a dishonest one and a cowardly one might well be another matter).
Northland,
This is a very interesting story. I can't blame you for first sending a canary into the mine. Don't beat yourself up about not self-identifying as an Iraqi-American. Everyone here is under a pseudonym, anyway. We all show only as much as we want to to the Internet. That's the beauty of the medium. Instead of anonymously watching TV, we can anonymously converse with each other.

Have you been back to Iraq since you left? Do you identify with Iraqi culture in any way, or have you become completely culturally an American?