Irony: Black Voters Killed Civil Rights for Gays

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Religion propagates the homophobia and it bleeds into the culture and into that culture's music.

assuming arguendo the validity of the assertion, one should find no homophobia in, say, tribal Africa?

BTW, I had no idea mass popular culture was so infused with traditional values, such as reverence and religiosity

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The truth is gays have only themselves to blame. The Log Cabin Republicans campaigned heavily to prevent the passing of Prop 8, in California and many other states. That's right, gay Republicans! Forgot about them didn't you? :irked:

You GOP boys should be grateful to the gay guys. Without them, you'd never get laid.
Ain't that the truth! That's also why they went with Sarah Palin. They couldn't find a male Republican Senator who hadn't been caught sucking dick or molesting pages. :lmao:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Nick4444 said:
funny
BTW, one merely has to listen to HipHop, or whatever black popular music is called these days, to recognize it (the relevant homophobia) has nothing to do with a religious context; ditto Latino popular mass street culture

Absolute bullshit. And trust me, I started off as a Hip-Hop DJ back in the late 80s/early 90s before any person in the suburbs caught onto the trend. Unless you lived the culture COMPLETELY, don't judge it. Don't just go by what you see on TV and on the radio. Hip-Hop goes FAR beyond that.

Know what the origins of Hip-Hop really represent. Before it became a gimmick and a means to make money with bullshit formulas that only cater to those who want to live an image of a "bad boy", it was a voice that represents the current state of the poor, inner city. And it still does if you listen to the right rappers. Homophobia does run amuck in poor, urban communities where there's a large minority base. Nobody denies that. But that existed BEFORE the Sugar Hill Gang made "Rapper's Delight" in the the 70s. I may not be the biggest fan of Hip-Hop now, but even I know that blaming rap music is another scapegoat just like blaming the Black Community for the ban of same sex marriage in California. You forget that a number of famous people in the Hip-Hop community have come out to voice their concerns about anti-gay lyrics in rap music. Kanye West is one of them. Missy Elliot is another. This was within the last few years. And considering the vote in California, knowing that about 20% of the vote was by minorities, it still runs rampant because it's not as if any race wasn't close to 50/50 on the issue. Yes, even the "white race". But color isn't the real issue here. The prejudice with gay & lesbians is not limited to that, regardless of ANY statistic posted that shows otherwise. If you look down the races, you'll see that there isn't a single race that isn't at least close to 50/50 on the matter. That tells anyone that a gay man has a LONG way before they are fully accepted in this community.

Where do you think the concept of homophobia came from? It comes directly from religion! Think that I'm wrong? Ask anyone who is against same sex marriage regardless of color, and they'll all eventually say the same thing... they'll ALL reference the Bible or whatever holy book and how it says it's "Adam & Eve", not "Adam & Steve". Even if a person don't go to church on a regular basis, this fact will ALWAYS remain true. To sit here and act as if this is just a race thing is ridiculous. And I'm sick of being a black, gay male feeling as if I'm the scapegoat for people who don't think. Either it's because of my skin color, or because it's who I sleep with. I'm done with the ignorance. Look at the REAL issue and stop trying to write off an issue with a silly excuse.

Hmm. I thought it might be related to the general disenfranchisement black men feel within the black community. Women wield an awful lot of power in black culture. I'd think that would be inherently threatening to men who are living in a predominantly white, male, dominated culture. Playing for the other team is not an option as males perceive their value so highly that to become (correctly perceived or not) feminine, is a great betrayal of one's sex.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Vinylboy... I love ya, but I couldn't refrain from puttin' in my two cents. I'm gonna temporarily hijack this thread.

Know what the origins of Hip-Hop really represent. Before it became a gimmick and a means to make money with bullshit formulas that only cater to those who want to live an image of a "bad boy", it was a voice that represents the current state of the poor, inner city. And it still does if you listen to the right rappers. Homophobia does run amuck in poor, urban communities where there's a large minority base. Nobody denies that. But that existed BEFORE the Sugar Hill Gang made "Rapper's Delight" in the the 70s.

When they stopped rapping about food... it was all downhill.

You forget that a number of famous people in the Hip-Hop community have come out to voice their concerns about anti-gay lyrics in rap music. Kanye West is one of them. Missy Elliot is another. This was within the last few years.

Well... that's two... can you name any more? You did say a number of...

Hip Hop is a vile industry bent on preparing perfectly good black men to enter prison and prepares young black women to be ho's.

It has been destroying the black race for about twenty years. Originally designed to help young urban children to be musically creative without expensive musical instruments, hip hop was the poetry of the post modern urban black experience. It was a loving return and reworking of the original "hambone".

Hip Hop has now degraded to the point that it is ruining the growth of African Americans... I sincerely believe that

Alternative (good) rap purchases are a tiny smidgen of the total rap sales. Kanye and Common are big and famous, but even they had to rise up within the hip hop community working against the gangsta component. Common and Kanye have to be THREE times as talented as the other gangsta rappers... why is that? Kanye and Common can even make beats from scratch... which 99% of rappers cannot. Hell, even De La Soul can't sell any records in the U.S. and had to go work with Damon Albern and Dangermouse in the U.K.

As long as young black boys keep listening to hip hop and living the lifestyle, we will NEVER have another Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Earth Wind and Fire. Hell, middle class blacks who can afford any musical instrument that they desire eschew actual music in favor of sampling other creative musicians and talking over drum machines.

There intelligence is also reduced from constantly being exposed to uncreative music by uncreative people.

You are what you eat as well as you are what you listen to.

Where do you think the concept of homophobia came from?

I thought that it came from being uncomfortable with gayness? I know plenty of homophobic people that have NEVER stepped inside a church. Homophobia is an irrational fear of homosexuality. Some young boys get molested by older males and might be homophobic... some boys witness a homosexual act when they are young and become homophobes. Some people have gay relatives and become homophobic. Some people are so in the closet that they are homophobic...

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Vinylboy... I love ya, but I couldn't refrain from puttin' in my two cents. I'm gonna temporarily hijack this thread.

Not a problem, my friend. :wink:

When they stopped rapping about food... it was all downhill.

Touché. :biggrin:

Well... that's two... can you name any more? You did say a number of...

If I have to mention some more... Talib Kwali, KRS-One, Common. Rappers who have more social commentary instead of "bling bling" in their lyrics.

Hip Hop is a vile industry bent on preparing perfectly good black men to enter prison and prepares young black women to be ho's.

Even so, that's not the roots of Hip-Hop. Listen to music before 1995 when there was no real money in the music, and now with all sorts of major label corporate influence. Before money came into the picture, people in the rap game were more creative and expressive. Now it's all about the dollar, so the majority cling onto phony images of gangster life and violence.

Ho's on the other hand are always welcome, male or female. We need more music about Ho's. :biggrin1:

It has been destroying the black race for about twenty years. Originally designed to help young urban children to be musically creative without expensive musical instruments, hip hop was the poetry of the post modern urban black experience. It was a loving return and reworking of the original "hambone".

You do have a sense of its real roots. +1 for you. :)

Hip Hop has now degraded to the point that it is ruining the growth of African Americans... I sincerely believe that

To some degree, I believe that as well. This is why I haven't done a Hip-Hop party in a very long time. The number of socially conscious rappers out there are few & far between the Lil' Waynes, the 50 Cents, Lil' Johns and the Soljah Boys.

Alternative (good) rap purchases are a tiny smidgen of the total rap sales. Kanye and Common are big and famous, but even they had to rise up within the hip hop community working against the gangsta component.

I always have to give Common his props because he's been in the game a LOT longer than people realize. I was getting into his music and his lyrics back in the early 90s when he used to call himself "Common Sense". He had to reduce his name to Common because of a lawsuit by some other rock band sharing the same name. Still, his words were always poetic and mentally stimulating. Even back then he spoke about the changes and downward spiral that Hip-Hop was taking before it actually happened.

Common and Kanye have to be THREE times as talented as the other gangsta rappers... why is that? Kanye and Common can even make beats from scratch... which 99% of rappers cannot. Hell, even De La Soul can't sell any records in the U.S. and had to go work with Damon Albern and Dangermouse in the U.K.

Well, selling records is a whole different discussion.
I honestly don't see any real artist making the same money that they did in the 80s and 90s unless you're willing to sell your soul and become the label's puppet. With that said, these highly established names can make a good dime if they're willing to take complete control of their music and the way they get it to their fans. These days, with digital technology, nobody has to go through the old school label drama. And with names like De La Soul, they could easily make their own D.A.I.S.Y. Records label, sell all of their old tracks in CD & MP3 formats (if they made smart business deals in regards to rights with their old albums) and occasionally make new ones. They're not going to make the same dollars as before, but they'll have more access and more freedom to do what they want. And it keeps their name out there.

As long as young black boys keep listening to hip hop and living the lifestyle, we will NEVER have another Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Earth Wind and Fire. Hell, middle class blacks who can afford any musical instrument that they desire eschew actual music in favor of sampling other creative musicians and talking over drum machines.

Not always true... it really depends on the producer and the group. There are groups out there now like The Roots & Gym Class Heroes that are very adamant in playing live music when they perform. Guru has done three hip-hop albums with live music under the "Jazzmatazz" moniker. The Brand New Heavies also did an excellent live Hip-Hop album called "The Heavy Rhyme Experience". You can tell when people are out to make a quality record because even the samples (if used) are tastefully done. You can also tell when they're just out for a quick buck as well... it all comes out in the final product.

There intelligence is also reduced from constantly being exposed to uncreative music by uncreative people.

That's why people need to stop letting big labels, FM Radio and MTV dictate what is hot. It's hard for people growing up to do these things because these corporate entities paint a picture of perfection when it comes to selling product. Kids eat the imagery up. But usually around the mid 20s people start to think for themselves and find their own tastes in music. Is there no wonder why MTV makes sure their age demographic for advertising between 13-24? :wink:

You are what you eat as well as you are what you listen to.

And right now, I love Techno. I guess that explains why I'm so crazy. :biggrin1:

I thought that it came from being uncomfortable with gayness? I know plenty of homophobic people that have NEVER stepped inside a church. Homophobia is an irrational fear of homosexuality. Some young boys get molested by older males and might be homophobic... some boys witness a homosexual act when they are young and become homophobes. Some people have gay relatives and become homophobic. Some people are so in the closet that they are homophobic...

All of these are factors. But even though a person never goes to church, a sense of religion or spirituality has impact them. The stories regarding Christianity and Catholicism are so well known that a lot of its folklore lingers in the minds of people. And I honestly do believe that the major components of homophobia was brewed in modern day religion. Once we get past the political rhetoric about the issue, you hear it in the voices of the majority of person against it: "God made Adam & Eve, not Adam & Steve"... constant interpretations & misrepresentations regarding Leviticus, Sodom & Gomorrah... the list goes on and on.

A wise man once said, those who control the images control the culture. And the people in control of religion has a way in painting a picture that can be very glorious, yet very nasty & condemning at the same time.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

D_Donald_Trumpet

Experimental Member
Media
It is a shame that Prop 8 was passed. I voted no and was confident that it would not pass, but after talking to supporters of it I could tell the advertisements skewed the reality of the proposition. People thinking gay marriage would be taught in schools was a big issue with a lot people, and though I think after arguing about the fact that what they call "traditional marriage" is not even taught in schools so why would gay marriage, some people reconsidered. Overall, I still hate the words "traditional marriage" and it is pure ignorance on people's part to withhold people's rights, and hopefully the tide will shift and absolute equality will come to this country. But on a side note, I don't like the fact that African American's and Latino's are taking the wrap for this when it is 95% based on religious beliefs and 5 % on ignorance, and as an straight African American who opposed it, it is not fair to single the black and latino community out because there was plenty of black and latino opposition to the proposition, and obviously there were enough white,black,latino,asian,and other ethnic groups who supported it to get it passed, so instead of finger pointing we all need to continue to fight for equal rights and educate people on the issue and help the ignorant individuals have an understanding of the truth, and step by step we as one can reach our goal of obtaining equal rights for all.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's true... the Mormons are total freaks and were behind the proposition monetarily.

Yes. The LDS headquarters wrote a half million dollar check to support a similar measure here ten years ago.

But that particular story I think more likely to have been made up. Is a family in that circumstance really going to have fifty thousand in cash sitting in the bank?

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Wow. Once again, it's mathematics to the rescue. Nice find!
Hopefully this will end the argument for some of the non-believers.
On the second page of this thread I gave a bit of info about the size of Black population in California and their impact on the prop 8, followed up by Hyperhulk, and I think, you, Vinylboy, the nonsense and digs at random crap (like HipHop :rolleyes:) still continued--I think some were too prepared to believe the worst. (Signed Kittie and every Black person she knows, all of whom did not support 8)

Thank you! Finally a voice of reason!:cool:
:fingersx: Just hoping someone reads it. A friend and I actually got into a debate about this last night and I cited population as well as an issue with exit polling data, which he then poopooed. He's definitely getting the link. :smile:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
On the second page of this thread I gave a bit of info about the size of Black population in California and their impact on the prop 8, followed up by Hyperhulk, and I think, you, Vinylboy, the nonsense and digs at random crap (like HipHop :rolleyes:) still continued--I think some were too prepared to believe the worst. (Signed Kittie and every Black person she knows, all of whom did not support 8)

Hey, I also mentioned things about the OP on page 3. In fact, there's two threads on this board that are similar in nature, and I posted statistical data in both of them. Hip-Hop wasn't even initially mentioned by me. That was brought up by someone else who tried to use it as a reason why many heterosexual Black people tend to be homophobic and how this music inflrnced the vote. Sure it got sidetracked, but many topics do these days.

At the end of the day, Industrialsize's post was the most thorough. It crunches numbers and statistics further and more efficiently than any other post on the subject. That's why I responded the was that I did. I'm not trying to ignore or skip over other people's contributions to the thread! Sorry if you feel as of I'm the one dragging the discussion down.

:fingersx: Just hoping someone reads it. A friend and I actually got into a debate about this last night and I cited population as well as an issue with exit polling data, which he then poopooed. He's definitely getting the link. :smile:[/QUOTE]

D_Kerry_N_Ashon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
As stated earlier, black people make up ONLY 6.7% of the population in California, it's not mathematically possible for them to have voted down that measure by themselves.

javyn

Experimental Member
Media
I don't think the point is how much of a percentage of the total voter makeup they are, the point is that 70% voted against gay marriage.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hey, I also mentioned things about the OP on page 3. In fact, there's two threads on this board that are similar in nature, and I posted statistical data in both of them. Hip-Hop wasn't even initially mentioned by me. That was brought up by someone else who tried to use it as a reason why many heterosexual Black people tend to be homophobic and how this music inflrnced the vote. Sure it got sidetracked, but many topics do these days.

At the end of the day, Industrialsize's post was the most thorough. It crunches numbers and statistics further and more efficiently than any other post on the subject. That's why I responded the was that I did. I'm not trying to ignore or skip over other people's contributions to the thread! Sorry if you feel as of I'm the one dragging the discussion down.

:fingersx: Just hoping someone reads it. A friend and I actually got into a debate about this last night and I cited population as well as an issue with exit polling data, which he then poopooed. He's definitely getting the link. :smile:
I was writing that you, Hyperhulk, I, and later, Indy with the knock out punch, all presented statistical data that proved the attacks were shaky at best. Facts definitely do not drag down any discussion, haha.

FLbjbud

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
On Gay.com an article or blog is posted about how certain neighborhoods were targeted with mailers with lies about Obama/Biden and the issue of Prop 8.

Here is the link: Hot Topics: Lying 'Yes on 8' mailer says Obama, Biden support them

Attached is a copy of the mailer.
Article Quoted today:

They'd stop at nothing. I got this in the mail Friday afternoon -- a mailer to black communities with a big picture of Barack Obama that reads "I'm not in favor of gay marriage. . . Vote YES on Prop. 8. . . Senator Joe Biden affirms his and Barack Obama's support for traditional marriage." Lies. Both candidates say they support No on 8 -- it's only the official Democratic Party line -- and you can hear Joe Biden saying so himself on Gay TV Blog's clip on "Ellen." The mailer comes from ProtectMarriage.com and boasts major funding by Knights of Columbus and Focus on the Family. It also has a phone number, so you can call and tell them exactly what you think: (916) 446-2956.
It even quotes our fellow LGBT site Queerty ("Obama does not support gay marriage") and a bunch of black pastors bloviating on how "same-sex marriages are in no way comparable to the black experience for civil rights." Really? What about Coretta Scott King? What about Desmond Tutu? What about the family of James Byrd, the Texas lynching victim, who insisted that the hate-crimes legislation they fostered cover everyone? Oh, what would they know.

Attachments