"Irregular" pap smear?

I'm just curious what this might entail. My girlfriend just had a gyno appointment and they called her back, saying there was an irregularity and to call back and make another appointment. They said it wasn't urgent, so I don't think it's anything bad (like cancer or HPV), but looking at what this might be can be kind of daunting. Anybody have this happen to them and have it just be nothing?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Sure - it just means that what they have seen is not 100% within the normal range and they want to look again to make sure it is nothing potentially dangerous.

Sometimes a bad smear can result from something as minor as a badly taken sample.

They just want to look again to be on the safe side. Don't worry. :smile:

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Ive had one too, i was 18 at the time and they did a cervical biopsy and it wasnt cancer. Just some irregular cells at the surface of the cervix they were able to swab some stuff on and kill.

My mom has had an irregular one as well and the biopsy showed negative for cancer. So it doesnt have to mean anything. Also, we know that there are a lot of lab errors when reading paps and thankfully they are good about showing more false positive cell problems than negative ones. That could be catastrophic for many women.

They will either run another pap smear to see or do a cervical biopsy and culposcopy (which allows them to magnify the cervix with a microscope and look at the cells closely)

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Both my cousin and my mother had an irregular pap smear within months of each other. Both were negative on the retake, but it still shakes you up.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
yup, could be too soon after her period, could be sperm, could be a bad sample, could be a few cells need rechecking and maybe treating.

D_Leotols Toy

Experimental Member
Media
Does irregular usually mean hpv-related like high risk? A girl I've been seeing had one and they said it's high risk, but it hasn't affected her cervix or anything abnormal on the colposcopy