Irritating words or phrases

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
'Then' being substituted for 'than' irritates me more than a little. (Notice I didn't say 'more then a little'.)

Me too!

Should of known!! I've seen this so many times and it drives me crazy.

Again, me too! For those who don't know, it's 'should HAVE known'.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Using Tourettes to jokingly excuse foul language. That pisses me the fuck off.
You might enjoy the episode of South Park in which Eric Cartman learns of the existence of Tourette's syndrome and pretends to have it so that he can shout obscenities and abuse at people. Here's one of my favorite bits: Cartman's letter to Chris Hansen of Dateline.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"Chill out" Yeah, i don't need 13 yr olds telling me that
"It is what it is" I've had it with people maintaining that posture- sure, right now that's what it is, but who's to say it can't change?
"we'll have this" No, YOU have this. Me I wanna improve on something else.

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I liked foisting this writing exercises upon my students because if often made them cry. But once they got the hang of it they improved their writing 1000%.

By the way, there are many famous authors who write strictly in E-Prime and, if you read their works, you've probably never even noticed. But you may have noticed how well they write.

So, I vote we get rid of to be and all of its forms.
:flowers1: Agreed!! My freshmen English 110 prof hammered that into our heads.

I cringe when the word 'really' is used as a sarcastic comeback (I am guilty of doing it but working I'm on it). It started with my peers in the 1980s...we had a good 25 year run...but it is time to let the phase go. Also annoyed when people in my age range use hip-hop vernacular. It is disconcerting to hear a 37 year old to use 'for realz', 'hella', 'baller' or 'fronting' on a regular basis. I had to walk away (laughing) last week when a colleague managed to work the term 'butthurt' into a briefing. I mean....really?? :tongue::rolleyes:

RawDog

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When people say sorry about something they had no involvement in.
Ex: "My cat just passed." "I'm sorry" what exactly are you sorry about? Did you do something to make my cat die?

You've got things wrong there. To be sorry about something that has happened is to regret it. It doesn't mean to repent it. It is just because of an unfortunate deficiency of the English language that we also use the formula "I'm sorry" as an expression of contrition. Other languages make a clear distinction: French, between "Je regrette" and "Je m'excuse"; German, between "Es tut mir leid" and "Verzeihung"; Italian, between "Mi rincresce" and "Perdoni"; and so on.

If someone told me that his cat had "just passed," I would wrinkle my nose and say, "Have you tried feeding it dry cat food?"

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I didn't do anything wrong, did I? I must have, for you to get over me so quickly :frown1::tongue:

Nope. You are just fine and I'm still madly in love with you. However, I just noticed that I typed than instead of then in that particular post. 'Twas a typo. Honest. :smile:

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
"Un-Australian"

"It's all good"

"Um" - One little word. Two little letters. A shitload of crazy! There's a children's TV game show here called 'Pyramid' and they just say 'um' all the time - it drives me batty! It's not just the kids, it's the adults too.

But whatevs, you know? At the end of the day, I just, like, you know, like, have to chillax or whatevs, you know. It's all good.

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Textspeak/Lolspeak - I admit I do use OMG, LOL and 'smileys' quite a lot (even though I used to think LOL meant Lots Of Love) but beyond that, it gives me the irrits. I love cats but the Lolcat/Cheezburger spelling and grammar really annoys me.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Geuss i can say i have used some of the above in the past
Now have some new ones to apply ha
Thanks all
enz

'No Worries ' .. Au primarily by my reckoning, we adopted it as usual
Dont mind it at all actually