Irritating words or phrases

Patchos

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Irregardless...this word drives me insane.
My bad....what is a bad and why is it yours???
People that post lik dis no fn way lol zomgwtfbbq...
Corporate jargon like "paradigm shift, mission-critical, bandwidth" While I am fluent in business speak, I still find it idiotic and pretentious.

irregardless just the word is like nails on a chalk board

People use "irregardless" when they mean to say irrespective or regardless. "Irregardless" is not a word.

wallaboi

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
1.my bad - can anyone explain the derivation of this? I'm baffled and hate this expressions
2.could care less - I suppose you could put a logical argument for this one, but it sounds alien to me. I think it is an American thing...I'm learning to live with it.
3.just saying - annoying at first, but I'm getting used to it. I suspect one day soon it's going to pop out of my mouth.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
geuss i am one of those as guilty as sin for the usage (another one) of such words so blatantly
dont purposefully mean do so, but if its easier for me to express myself at the risk of folk hating on me well tuff, others just as bad lpsg
then again i dont see it as lazy nor a major criminal act, just the way it is and often no worse than the abuse of any other forms of dialouge
never one for attempting to attain perfection in the written or life (impossible) i also dont see it as my role to ease the way for those who choose to frequent such as forums lpsg, some whom (again parhaps?) have a reasonably high self opinion of there levels of education achieved. (suppose could have placed those two words around the other way? ha) and fair enuf they have worked at/for it

We members here are all as fickle a bunch as you would get anywhere and while the respect is there for a few, can humbly place aside many more.
ACCEPT whats placed before you from all & sundry, is the way fwd on such forums is is my cry
(within reason of course, as we all have our defensive moments - justifiably)
forgive the splurge but again, the way it is just happend to be this thread thats copped it ha
Sorry OP just had to get this out there, and wont be around in a few days anyway ha
enz

aimed at no one in particular -- disclaimer i believe its called, haha
always wanted to start a thread entitled 'expressions of truth'

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
1.my bad - can anyone explain the derivation of this? I'm baffled and hate this expressions

It is indeed an annoying expression, but I don't see what is so baffling about it. It is a mock-primitive way of saying "My fault"--i.e., "Ugh! Me do bad thing!" The method to it is that if you facetiously adopt a moronic mode of expression, you preempt any attempt of others to fault you for your lack of intelligence or attention.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
2.could care less - I suppose you could put a logical argument for this one, but it sounds alien to me. I think it is an American thing...I'm learning to live with it.

There's no logical argument FOR it. In fact logic points out exactly why it is an incorrect term.

I agree that it's use seems more prevalent in American's. You really don't hear the term much here.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I wish these expressions die quickly from current American colloquial English.

"My bad" - agree with Wallaboi on this one.

"24/7" - meaning always.

"Gloria Alred" - just because I think she's a self serving whore.

wallaboi

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It is indeed an annoying expression, but I don't see what is so baffling about it. It is a mock-primitive way of saying "My fault"--i.e., "Ugh! Me do bad thing!" The method to it is that if you facetiously adopt a moronic mode of expression, you preempt any attempt of others to fault you for your lack of intelligence or attention.

Thanks Cal, not so baffled that I didn't know what it meant. Anyway, I googled (derivation of my bad) it and I was surprised to find that Shakespeare used the same term in a sonnet although the source admits that it is more of a coincidence than a direct derivation of modern usage:

Sonnet 112:
Your love and pity doth the impression fill
Which vulgar scandal stamp'd upon my brow;
For what care I who calls me well or ill,
So you o'er-green my bad, my good allow?
Also interested to find that it was introduced to popular culture during the 1990's from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Scooby Doo TV series...makes sense, I can just hear that great dane "sawwwy ...my bad"

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I'll get on the horn and . . . ?
Fish or cut bait.
Between a rock and a hard place.
Sometimes we all have to do things we don't want to.

It's been some time since I had to work with MBAs who, by divine providence, believe they know how to do every one's job better. If I ever am forced to endure sitting through a marketing meeting ever again in my life, you will all most likely see my photo and accompanying article about how I snuck in an automatic weapon and killed a room full of MBAs and twits with degrees in Advertising. I'll make certain there are a few bottom feeder-style attorneys among the group so I actually do some good by doing something so bad.

Therefore, I avoid such situations and try to think pretty thoughts and stare at shiny things as much as possible.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's been some time since I had to work with MBAs who, by divine providence, believe they know how to do every one's job better. If I ever am forced to endure sitting through a marketing meeting ever again in my life, you will all most likely see my photo and accompanying article about how I snuck in an automatic weapon and killed a room full of MBAs and twits with degrees in Advertising. I'll make certain there are a few bottom feeder-style attorneys among the group so I actually do some good by doing something so bad.

Therefore, I avoid such situations and try to think pretty thoughts and stare at shiny things as much as possible.
Yeah, shiny things are nice. :Eyecrazy: