Is 11 too young for birth control pills?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

How Young Is Too Young for Birth Control?
    One School District Mulls a Proposal to Offer Contraceptives to Girls as Young as 11

Oct. 17, 2007 —

Parents and school officials are preparing to battle tonight in a debate about the sexual health of children at one Maine school district.

Administrators at a Portland middle school are considering a bold proposal that would allow students to access a broader range of contraceptives from the school's health center.

King Middle School's health center already provides condoms as part of its reproductive health program, implemented after five of the 135 students who visited the center last year reported being sexually active.

Prescriptions for birth control pills and patches would be included in the new measure, which has become a lightning rod for controversy in the area.
    "We do certainly sit down and speak with them about why that's not a good choice," said Portland's school nurse coordinator Amanda Rowe of sexually active students. "But there are some who persist, even though we don't like to think about that in being sexually active, and they need to be protected."
    The school's female students are in grades six to eight and range from ages 11 to 13.

"It will provide a means of making sure you don't get pregnant and ruin your school career and limit yourself in the future," Rowe said.

The students will need a parent's written permission to access any services provided, but they would not have to disclose which service they receive, a point of contention for some.

"They are sending mixed messages. In the state of Maine it is illegal to have sex under the age of 14," said cable talk show host and ABC News commentator Glen Beck on "Good Morning America" today. "You are enabling people."

Beck argued that the plan makes it too easy for girls to have sex and takes power away from the parent, a sentiment some parents agree with.
    "I don't think I would want my child in middle school to be getting birth control pills unless I had something to do with it," one woman said.

But others said they believe the proposal is a good idea because some parents feel uncomfortable in the role of sexual educator.

"Parents should be the sex educator for their children," said sexologist and relationship expert Logan Levkoff on "Good Morning America" today. "The problem is not every parent feels empowered [to do so]."

One mother said she believed the idea may be on the right track.
    "I think that education at that age is appropriate because our culture is saturated with messages about sex," the woman said.

Copyright © 2007 ABC News Internet Ventures

2. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Nah let them have it. Better to be safe than sorry.

3. snoozan

Gold Member

What bothers me is less the social issue but more how putting synthetic hormones in a child's body which has not completed going through puberty yet.

4. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

agree with snoozan. I think 11 is probably too young for anyone to be sexually active but if they're going to be I would be extremely wary about giving them birth control pills.

5. Principessa

Gold Member

That was my thought as well. That and the fact that the USA has way too many pregnant teens, almost all of which suck the system dry by receiving state and federal assistance. I can't begin to fathom what I would have been like if I had been pregnant at 11. It would not have been goo I know that much.

That was mentioned in the comments attached to the original story link. It's a valid concern.
    Since we can't stop them from having sex, we have to do something to prevent them conceiving.

6. snoozan

Gold Member

then give them IUDs. i think it's too big of a medical risk knowing what we do and knowing what we don't know about how these hormones affect our bodies and minds.

i'm not a big fan of the pill anyway, and have always opted for other forms of contraception.

plus, if you can't trust an 11 year old to use a condom, how much can you trust them to put on patches correctly or take oral contraceptives as regularly as you have to so that they remain effective?

7. Freddie53

Gold Member

The condom if correctly used and is the right size for the guy is still overall the best method as condoms also help prevent the spread of various sexual diseases. Birth control pills will not do that.

As for puberty. One would think that if a girl is capable of becoming pregnant, then she is well into puberty. But we have found out that this is not always the case.. Some girls are fertile yet have much sexual development ahead of them.

I am for teaching all these methods in fifth grade. That young the "When you are older and become sexually active." or "When you get married then you can.... and so one and so forth."

The schools can teach birth control and disease prevention without taking a moral stand on when sex is an appropriate activity to engage in.

Deliberate censorship of birth control and ways to prevent the spread of disease is what it is censorship. It should be illegal.

How people can go to sleep at night knowing that their actions kept a teenager ignorant and that teen ager then contracted HIV out of ignorance is beyond me.

As far as I am concerned the person or persons who keep this information from teens is guilty of causing unwanted babies to be born and for the spread of some diseases.

I applaud young people who take a vow to remain pure until marriage and are able to keep that vow. But the reality is well over two/thirds of our young people have sex before marriage. I haven't read the latest statistics, but at least half or more of high school students lose their virginity before they graduate from high school. And the percentage in general has been climbing now for decades.

I'm glad I don't have to visit a young person in the hospital because they contracted a disease because they were denied needed information and I was the person responsible for keeping that information from them.

I am a practicing Christian. I believe that God is much more pissed off at these "do gooders." than the young people who become sexually active in their early teens. The young people are guilty of following natural instincts. These "do gooders" have deliberately and willfully and at an adult age have taken actions that they know will result in pregnancies and unwanted sexual diseases.

The world would be better off without some of these "do gooders."

8. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

It is true Freddie. The do-gooders are causing more harm then good. But from their standpoint statistics on abstinence only teaching being a failure or listening to children goes in one ear and out the other. Let me clarify that seems like a jumbly point.

It seems do-gooders turn a blind eye to the proof that the 'no sex till marriage training' is not working. Furthermore these children are telling nurses that they are sexually active at 11. The state is turning a blind eye to hard facts.

I think most teens loose their virginity before high school, weather they are dating the person, drunk, or just fooling around.

9. Principessa

Gold Member

Snoozan, when I read that article I too thought that 11 yr olds can't be depended upon to wash behind their ears, expecting them to take the pill every day is ridiculous.

Do you remember years ago when they tried giving Norplant to middle and high school girls in Baltimore, MD. Many parents and ethnic organizations protested that it was genocide when it was revealed they were only being given to Black and Hispanic teens. I thought about that when I read this article as well. There is the potential for it to be abused.

As for the IUD, I know they are supposed to be great; but I've kinda been afraid of them ever since the 8th grade (1979-1980). My best friends' mom got pregnant while using one and had to have an abortion because the baby formed around the copper T. :frown1::no:
    Being good Italian Catholics it was devastating to her and the family. While tragic occurences like hers were common in the 1970's; I know that numerous improvements have been made and that type of thing next to never happens now. That said, I'm still not comfortable with it. :redface:

So back to the drawing board. How do we get these little sluts to stop fucking in the 4th & 5th grade?!?:mad::confused:

10. freeballing

freeballing Active Member

Albums:
    11 is too young to get pregnant (and too young to be sexually active). But the conservatives who preach abstinence, live in a fantasy world where no one has sex before marriage and everyone is heterosexual (unless you're a Republican Senator from Idaho). I think we should be open and honest about sex education and provide condoms at schools (among other forms of birth control). You can't keep kids with raging hormones from having sex, but you can teach them prevention, safer sex, and hopefully reduce the number of teen pregnancies and STDs.

11. cofrader

cofrader Member

Albums:
    True think the facts speaks for themselves.
    I think that the kids should be instructed on all the aspects of sex and give them the access to condoms.
    The pills could prevent the births but not an infection, we could be creating an epidemic that could affect a hole generation, imagine when that generation is supposed to support the system...

Another reason:
    The pills are a very complex hormonal component on a boiling body full of hormones that are changing the body, this could have serious side effect.

12. Ed69

Gold Member

All I had say to my 12 year old daughter was"Come home knocked up and we will have to sell your horse for diapers and baby food!"She understood that concept,90 seconds of humping is not worth loosing the horse she has put years of work training into.Now in highschool she is still focused on wanting to be a trainer and pro jumper.Sex and love will happen for her but for now she has other things she want's to do.Any man she gets involved with will have to understand that my little girl does not want to spend her life playing mom,or dealing with a disease.:smile:

13. Osiris

Gold Member

I will be doing the same thing with my little girl when she is old enough, but I think the fear of a tall, certified Marksmen dad with several of his competition awards and my collection of swords visible will be enough. Especially when I follow the display by saying, "If it comes near my daughter, one of those swords will take it away. PERMANENTLY!"

Abstinence has failed and will continue to fail. Kids are curious and as long as sex sells, kids will be exposed. I hav e had the talk with the older boys and they know where condoms are. Where as I agree with Snoozan and NinInch, I also have to be realistic and each year the age at which one loses their virginity gets lower. Education and precautions are our only defense without medication and I can attest the pill does things. My wife has had issues for years behind taking the pill.

Be as involved as possible as parents, talk to your kids, and give them education and options. It's about all we can do. they are going to have sex if they really put their minds to it and I'd rather them be safe and armed with knowledge and precautions than have to raise my grandkids while my kid gets her high school diploma.

14. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

11 is far too young to be having sex, but if 11 year olds are going to have sex I'd much rather they were given information and birth control, having sex at 11 is terrible, having babies at 11 is much much worse.

15. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Bad idea. Better solution is two parts:

1. Better education.

2. Anyone ever heard of parents actually supervising their 11-year-old children?

What are these kids doing, getting in a quickie while walking to school? I understand that you can't watch them every single second of the day, but parents should NOT be leaving their 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade children on their own for long periods of time.

Perhaps we also need a grassroots movement to convince the entertainment and advertising industries that hyper-sexualizing children is unacceptable.

Parents have got to be responsible for the children they produce. They have got to grow the gonads that will enable them to say to their 10-year-old daughter, "No, honey, I don't care if Britney wears slutty little half-shirts on stage. I won't buy it for you, and you won't wear it to school."

16. Osiris

Gold Member

But, but, but that will cut into golf time and what about the days at the spa. Parents everywhere will have to give up their free time. How dare you suggest they do some parenting rather than endulge in "the pursuit of happiness". Foul I say sir, FOUL! (Did that have the right amount of suburban sarcasm for you? Sorry you couldn't see the gross hand gestures and gin spilling from the waving glass.):biggrin1:

Seriously though?

DAMN RIGHT!

17. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

Women have problems with the pill. I can't image giving it to an 11 year old child. Have they even done any studies on giving pills to girls that young? It may affect her growth, screw up her periods, or even make her unable to get pregnant when she's older. Hormones are not for 11 year olds girls.

18. joejack

joejack Active Member

Albums:
    Age 11 is too young to be sexually active. Age 11 is too young to bear a healthy baby. Therefore, age 11 is not too young to practice birth control.

19. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

It stopped me till I was 18. Drugs and alcohol got the better of me that night.

20. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Just wanted to throw my two cents in and say that it is very possible for an 11 year old to have sex without her having neglectful parents...

Draft saved Draft deleted