Is a normal friendship possible between gay and straight men?

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
emu said:
i'm a guy, i went outside today.
everywhere i went, there were other guys
does that make me gay?

E

Oh NOOO you Flamer! Seriously, I just wish a couple of the friendships had worked out. Sigh I really do miss getting massages from the guy. He just couldn't handle it. I don't know why. I'm not a hottie for sure. :(

dongalong

Mythical Member
Media
Shelby said:
Hell, I think it's easier to have a normal friendship with a gay guy than with a woman.

My wife speaks in code. She says things from which I'm supposed to infer all kinds of hidden meanings. Generally I don't get 'em.

Conversely I'll make a simple statement and she'll conclude I meant something entirely different. To the point that sometimes I can't even see the relationship between what I said and what she heard at all. lol

I don't recall that being a problem with any of my gay buds.
I had a girlfriend like your wife, who twisted the meaning of all communication, in the end I stopped speaking to her, guess what she found a hidden meaning in that! We'll NEVER understand.:confused:

cruztbone

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I feel blessed to be a native Californian, as this is no longer an issue here. Most of my male friends, male classroom students, male neighbors, fellow male gym rats and male coworkers are straight. They all know I am gay. I am 53. I make no attempts to avoid talking about my gayness. I dont live or work in a gay ghetto. I NEVER get uncomfortable glances, throat clearing, outraged reactions verbal or physical threats.

That was not the case 15 years ago, or even 10 years ago.

....and only one straight male signature stands between me and the right to marry. And he (Arnold S. ) will be involuntarily retiring in November of this year.

Yes, it is possible for straight and gay men to have friendships of value and caring, even if there is no sex involved. Your heart and your penis do not have to share the same
circuit at all times. To draw an analogy from olden times, when Ma Bell was one company for all, and you shared a phone line with your neighbors, it was called a "party line". When both neighbors wanted to use the same line, they could agree to wait for the other or share a connection. The same applies here.

Open your mind to the possbilities, gentlemen.......................

Pene_Negro_Grande

Experimental Member
Media
It is very possible to have a normal non-sexual relationship between a straight and gay guy....I once had a roommate who I didn't know was gay for awhile....We actually worked together before we were roommates and I must have been naive but never caught on and I think he thought I would judge him so he didn't mention it to me....He finally told me after he got tired of me always trying to drag him out to straight clubs that he liked different clubs....After that we were super cool and I learned alot from him about understanding and sexuality in general....It definitely made me more comfortable w/all people....I ended up checking out gay clubs and really had a blast....Then I did have one of my best friends from highschool tell me that he was bi-sexual even while we were in highschool and I was cool w/it....He was really nervous about telling me about it....He only told me and his girlfriend at the time....I actually introduced him to my roommate because these were both around the same time....Didn't work out though - both too much alpha males for each other....But it is possible....People are people....I like the person and their sexual preference has nothing to do w/it....

D_Coyne Toss

Expert Member
Media
I think it is just the same of a guy/girl friendship. Both of them can work if there is no attraction between the two.

I have many female friends, and i can share all my thoughts with them. I used to have a gay friend, but unluckly he felt in love with me, and it was impossible (my fault?) to save the friendship.

korndog

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I would never reject someone's friendship because of their sexual orientation, just like I would never reject someone because of their race or religion. Why limit yourself to people just like you? How will you ever learn anything?

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
dongalong said:
Is it possible to have a normal non-sexual friendship between a gay and a straight guy?

I have never had a gay friend but wouldn't be aginst the idea. I was wondering how it would work from both viewpoints. What are the limits and problems.

Isn't there always the risk of the gay guy falling in love with his straight friend and changing their relationship?

Can the gay guy only have hetero friends with whom he is not attracted?

The short answer is "yes".

I have never had one of my gay friends seriously hit on me. All of them flirt, but I think it's because they're flirtatious people. But I don't see where any of them are actually attracted to me.

Sexual preference is not something I consider when choosing my friends.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Proudly_Italian said:
I think it is just the same of a guy/girl friendship. Both of them can work if there is no attraction between the two.

I have many female friends, and i can share all my thoughts with them. I used to have a gay friend, but unluckly he felt in love with me, and it was impossible (my fault?) to save the friendship.

Proudly Italian must be bored, he's digging up a lot of old threads today.

Not that there's anything especially wrong about that. Better than creating redundant new threads. Just an observation.

looney nob

Just Browsing
Media
is it possible for me in a word - no - not saying never, but so far have not met one i like as a person who has treated me decently

had a few gay friends in the past, but each one in the end tries it on with me, or spends their time telling me about their sex lives - which i tell them i don't want to hear, to me it's like a someone who fucks dogs thinking i want to know, tell them to shut the fuck up about it and get called a homophob

the ones who were old school friends, and didn't come out till they hit their 20's all turned out to rip me off, i know they probably went through shit as we were a pretty homophobic bunch as kids, but they chose to fuck me around even after i defended them and stood up for them, even leading to cracking a few heads of those who picked on them

i don't care if anyone thinks i'm homophobic, treat me like shit and i'll kick your bollocks off

i think i'm in the minority here, such is life

now form your queue to tell me i'm a closet gay - yawn yawn

how about a new word - hetrophob - shove that one up ya arse

notsmallmatt

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
dongalong said:
Is it possible to have a normal non-sexual friendship between a gay and a straight guy?

I have never had a gay friend but wouldn't be aginst the idea. I was wondering how it would work from both viewpoints. What are the limits and problems.

Isn't there always the risk of the gay guy falling in love with his straight friend and changing their relationship?

Can the gay guy only have hetero friends with whom he is not attracted?
uhh.. well im bi... and i think of my best friend as damn near the most perfect guy on earth.. for me... i think hes sexy as hell and occasionally jerk off to the idea of him naked(or whatever)..
but hes straight...and he has a girlfriend.. and when i first started hanging out with him he told me "ill never have sex with you".. lol.... im almost positive i wouldnt even agree to if it came up for whatever insane reason... .. i would give him a blowjob though.. lofl.. but no.. itll never happen..
and i have control of my emotions enough to love him almost like family(not exactly, obviously)...our friendship is very important to both of us... hes the only guy i can be completely myself with(without shame).. and apparently he feels the same way.. whatever...

point is, there are many kinds/levels of love and friendship.. if you have an open mind i guess.. and youre not an oversexed ninny.:wink:

tygrrr

Just Browsing
Media
Most of my friends are straight, and even my closest friend is both straight and married. Well, actually he's bisexual to a degree, and allthough there may have been some degree of sexual tension between us when we first got acquainted (and before he married), that was there just for a few months - and we've been friends for more than a decade .
I'm pretty open about my sexual preferences, at least I'll talk about it when I notice that I get particularily well along with someone and it becomes clear that a friendship could be forming. It's never been a problem. In some instances I've actually noticed the other person immediately opening up in a new way and a sense of deeper trust developing from me sharing just that.
One new friend I've made (through work) is straight and has relatively recently become a father, though he's already entered into a new relationship with another woman. We often discuss our various relationhips and 'compare notes'. :biggrin1: It's very much how it is with all of my friends - our experiences are always similar to a degree - I never think much about their sexuality unless it's a topic in our conversation. When it comes to friendship a matter like this really doesn't mean anything at all.

chrisj428

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
SMUGuy2007 said:
It is possible... Except my experience was very traumatizing. I had a best friend in high school (I've just graduated) and we were friends for merely 3 and a half years... basically all through high school. Senior year came around, and I came out and told him that I'm bisexual and he wasn't shocked at all. Well within weeks we were becoming very open and I was flirting and he was sometimes flirting back... which confused me a lot. Things exploded and he found out that I had a crush on him and was very attracted to him and he freaked and basically quit talking to me. We stopped talking to each other half way through senior year and that was it. We have never spoken to one another since then.

<snip>

So I am completely clueless as how to answer this question.

x2

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sexual tension is a normal facet of life. Just because I would love to lick a certain woman up and down, doesn't mean that we can't be friends. I have had a few really close gay friends over the years, and wish they were still in my life. I DO think it is totally possible and totally NORMAL. My mother introduced me to her gay friend when I was 10 years old. He was very well dressed, good looking, well spoken, and he liked my pizza (I was in a pizza making stage at the time and made a pizza every day for about a whole summer). That was all I needed to know.

So I grew up with no homophobia except the kind I had to feign with my stupid straight friends as I was growing up. I grew up in a neighborhood that was REAL working class and gay people locked themselves in closets within closets. The neighborhod children were'nt bigots, just ignorant. Just because someone finds me attractive (pretty rare), is not a reason to get all ridiculous. I miss my gay friends (One died of AIDS, one moved to Minneapolis, and the other is sick in Kentucky), and have lost touch with them. I think they stayed out of my life for the reason that this thread was written. I just never got the chance to tell them that I loved them, and everything in their lives, before they moved away.