Is a personal trainer worth it?

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by B_Mademoiselle Rouge, Apr 30, 2009.

1. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

Ok, this is so embarassing but if i get asked one more time if im pregnant im going to cry. Without going into too many medical issues i have unexplained reasons for having a larger waist in proportion to the rest of my body- ive had multiple blood, metabolic tests, ultrasounds and ct scans in the last 6 months to find out why. As if i dont know this already, people on xtube had to point it out as well- in a rather rude way at that. As if im 6 months pregnant and im trying to play myself off as non pregnant.

And before you ask- no im not pregnant. So here's the deal- i have great legs from 15-20 hours of speed skating a week in addition to a physical job. Since shattering my arm in Feb. i have pretty intense 6 to 8 hours of arm physical therapy to get the strength back. My arms are slimming up nicely. As for my tummy, since having a c-section combined with severe endometriosis adhesions and scar tissue, doing normal situps are uncomfortable. But i have to figure something out.

Im wanting to keep my boobs, legs and arms virtually the same. I have this fear that doing hardcore excercising is going to make me lose curves.

Fuck im rambling on and a little bummed out. It's a really good thing im not a celebrity or i'd be reading about my eternal baby bump.

2. gordon69

gordon69 New Member

yes, I have a personal trainer 4x a week and it has proven nice results. Unfortunately he told me that it is 85% diet, especially to lose the belly fat! That is very hard as I love to eat!!!
    Talk to a trainer though - they will work with you towards your goal!

3. B_nuketully

B_nuketully New Member

Yup, alot is diet...I think 85% is a little high..i'd say 70%, but it's very important.

A personal trainer is great because it will force you to excersize, change your exercises and a good trainer will be able to make a workout routine that will work with your body type, everyone is different. If you can do this by yourself, then don't get one.

4. ashketchum

ashketchum New Member

Albums:
    wtf ur body is banging... if i was with u id cry if u lost any of that curvature

5. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

Yeah, nice complement, but the world does not revolve around you. She has her reasons for wanting to make the change and we should try to help.

I agree, her body is banging as is.

6. poomoz

poomoz Member

Hi Mademoiselle Rouge

My experience is a personal trainer is absolutely worth it. You still do all the work but there is somebody to work with who knows what they are doing. They can tailor a program just for you (and your curves).

I grew 2 shirt sizes in my early 40's thanks to a personal trainer and slightly different diet ( ie I had to eat more protein, smaller and more regular meals).

Remember the easy formula for weight loss: Calories in v calories out.
    nb the more muscle you have the more calories you burn.

Good Luck

P

7. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

some people can be helped by a trainer, for others it's a waste of time and money

for the most part, I would say you can achieve results without one

8. MickeyLee

Gold Member

random pervishness: Mademoiselle Rouge you are perfect. absolutely perfect. just god-damn! perfect. please don't change a thing... pretty please with sugar on top. :puppy_dog_eyes: :redface:

even if you don't see a trainer on the regular a few sessions to set up a customized workout & diet is a good idea. since you have a few medical issues at the moment always double check everything with your docs.

if you set a few consultation appointments with different trainers you can find someone want to work with. hating your trainer is a bad thing, unless you get motivated by the idea of being in shape enough to kick his or her ass.

ml
    apologies for any icked caused by perving on you:sorry:

9. StraightCock4Her

StraightCock4Her New Member

Lipo is an extreme option, too. However, you are just curvy. I think over the long run with your active life style you should see some slimming as well around your tummy.

10. D_Harry_Sphincter

D_Harry_Sphincter Account Disabled

As someone working on getting certification and currently working in a gym I can definitely tell you it's worth it. Not only will a trainer help give you some better information and tips along with a better workout, but they'll help you perfect form, work on nutrition and good ones make you wanna come back to the gym.

98% of the time trainers help greatly. The other 2% are because the trainer doesn't care (some are like that, so talk to them before agreeing with them of course) or because the client doesn't really wanna work.

11. 10.5andproudofit

10.5andproudofit New Member

Albums:
    be careful- there is no such thing as spot fat reduction. Some women store their fat in central deposits- though this is far more common in men- it does happen. As such, the last place your body loses fat stores is your mid-section. This is why you have nice arms and great legs, but are not satisfied with your tummy.

A personal trainer is worth it for several scenarios:
    1- motivation. if your the type of person that needs someone to push you to get work done, then a trainer is for you. Nothing wrong with this- they are like a gym buddy that you have to pay.
    2- your not sure you know how to attain your goals. PT can be a great resource if you have the motivation, but lack the knowledge on how to safely and effectively attain your health goals.
    3-regularity. A personal training appointment gets you on a regular schedule. All too often life catches up with us, and for many, the gym is the first thing to get put on the back burner. A PT that you pay for helps prevent that.

if you feel one or more of these categories describes your situation, then its definitely worth pursuing. However, just to be on the safe side, if you have a medical condition that gives you unique circumstances and discomfort in some motions, you may want to consult a physician before you start a PT regiment. Also, if you are comfortable sharing your medical history, a good PT can tailor a workout better to your specific needs if you make them aware of certain conditions you may have.

12. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    Good grief, they're kvetching about that body? I think they need help more than you, Mademoiselle.

Well you don't need to diet. That's not a mound of fat on your middle, just a little lack of tone in the abs. As you're getting so much leg and arm exercise, some work on the core muscles would balance things out. The best thing I know for that is Pilates, but you need a good instructor/class teacher.

My own anti-paunch routine consists of crunches, leg-raises, sit-ups, side-bends and back hyperextensions. I do it at the gym but the only equipment I use is a large ball for the sit-ups and back exercises and a weight for the side-bends, so it could be done at home.

Because of your past c-section and endometriosis you should definately get some professional advice from a good trainer. But once you've got a safe routine it's a question of motivation whether you keep using the trainer.

13. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree but it's hard to simply stay the same. We need some exercise to stay in shape. Doing nothing usually results in getting out of shape over time not staying the same.

Since a lot of people use personal trainers, I'd say they must be worth it to many people. I've never used one. Everyone is different. Some people like a personal trainer, some like exercise classes, some like working out with a friend and some like doing it alone. You just have to find what you like.

It's probably worth it if you can afford it and like someone to keep you motivated. I know some people that use them. You may have to find a personal trainer that you like and get along with.

14. Trouty

Trouty New Member

I'm wanting you to keep your boobs, legs and arms virtually the same too :biggrin1:

I know my comments have been no help to your 'problem' but I just thought I needed to make my point :wink:

15. The Chosen One

The Chosen One New Member

Albums:
    My Opinion:
    It depends on the trainee. If your self motivated, the trainer inessential.
    The web has more information than any trainer or doctor could learn in a single lifetime.

16. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    Do some colonics, and eat vegan for a while. If you don't have enough motivation to get to the gym yourself, then get a personal trainer. You can still do it by yourself and save the money. If your gym has those kickboxing/cardio/ab/taebo-like classes then take those. And run run run...whoever told you it was 85% diet was lying...its 99%!!!!

<---I don't do sit ups, there is plenty you can do for your core that will shape you up nicely that isn't a generic sit up.

and do SQUATS!!!

17. D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

you can't spot reduce. yeas a trainer is worth it. if they are any good. ask for references.

18. D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

I beg to differ. Self motivated or not if you have no experience in weight training then you are doing yourself a disservice. at least get a few sessions to learn how proper technique.

hands on experience is far more valuable than any article. I cracked up one time when a girls weigh lifting coach came in and asked if I knew a good book on Olympic lifting. you can't learn that from a book. I bench 600 and pull 700 + and after 30 years of taining (started when I was 7) with the best in the world I'd never have gotten there by researching on the web or in magazines.

same goes for trainers. I 'll take one with 20 years experience with no degree over one with a degree received after answering a 100 question true and false test. those are the ones that work a LA Fitness, Golds etc. the good ones have their own client base.

19. The Chosen One

The Chosen One New Member

Albums:
    You make my point, Many of the best trainers publish articles, to the web.

Draft saved Draft deleted