Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Thyroid will do it to you every time!! If you're on the right dosage of of the right formulation, a lot of that tummy will melt off life magic (although it might take a couple of months).

As an aside, synthetic thyroid meds didn't do crap for me. I like the Armour or Natroid thyroid meds.

Another thing to check is insulin levels. If you have anything even RESEMBLING Polycystic ovarian syndrome (or whatever that syndrome is called), your insulin levels will be too high. Insulin is a "storage hormone" and it'll pack away fat, especially in the abdominal region. Hyper insulin levels also PREVENT your body from burning fat.

If the belly doesn't start going down as a result of being on the thyroid, I would...

A) Check your blood levels (TSH, T4 and free T3) to see if your thyroid meds are working
B) Check your insulin levels as well.

Some people with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) take a medication called Glucophage which counteracts the excess insulin. Glucophage was original a diabetic medication, but it has other uses as well. For PCOS, Glucophage is taken in addition to whatever else is needed to "cure" the PCOS. (I never had PCOS, but I know people who did.)

The advantage of taking Glucophage is that it removes the excess insulin that is telling your body to store fat in your abdomen.

Yes it was the couple of year change from Armour to Synthroid that wrecked me up. I'm back on Armour, this time a much higher dose.

B_Drake9

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I do a little PTing in the gym I work at. I've noticed that most people need a little help in the beginning, but after they start to see results and the benefits of working out on a regular basis they tend to do it for themselves and no longer need a trainer. So if you're just starting out then yeah, having a trainer or at least a friend that knows what their doing come with you is a good idea.

Curiousguy01

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Firstly, yes personal trainers teach you what you don't know and help push you through things when you don't have the patience by yourself. As far as your goals... your body is a huge balance. You can tone up areas of your body but you cannot, without surgery, slim up the fat in one section without removing it equally throughout the body. This is just how our bodies work. To be honest doing a lot of running or cardio is the best way to slim down fast. Working out tones your muscles more than just chewing up fat. Either way if your "issues" have pushed you to ask this question then hell yes do it, your thinking about it which means you've made up your mind anyway.

sleepiboi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I use trainers to help push myself to get back into routine. I have a hard time doing the small things that I tend to forget or look past so it helps a lot for me.

big_gp35

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thyroid will do it to you every time!! If you're on the right dosage of of the right formulation, a lot of that tummy will melt off life magic (although it might take a couple of months).

As an aside, synthetic thyroid meds didn't do crap for me. I like the Armour or Natroid thyroid meds.

Another thing to check is insulin levels. If you have anything even RESEMBLING Polycystic ovarian syndrome (or whatever that syndrome is called), your insulin levels will be too high. Insulin is a "storage hormone" and it'll pack away fat, especially in the abdominal region. Hyper insulin levels also PREVENT your body from burning fat.

If the belly doesn't start going down as a result of being on the thyroid, I would...

A) Check your blood levels (TSH, T4 and free T3) to see if your thyroid meds are working
B) Check your insulin levels as well.

Some people with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) take a medication called Glucophage which counteracts the excess insulin. Glucophage was original a diabetic medication, but it has other uses as well. For PCOS, Glucophage is taken in addition to whatever else is needed to "cure" the PCOS. (I never had PCOS, but I know people who did.)

The advantage of taking Glucophage is that it removes the excess insulin that is telling your body to store fat in your abdomen.

Metformin helps decrease insulin resistance so that your bodies natural insulin works better. Low carb diets will also help as well. PCOS is sometimes accompanied with excess facial hair which is why Aldactone/Spironolactone is used. It is primarily known as a diuretic, but it is also a anti androgen that helps relieve the masculinizing effects of PCOS.

Good thinking on the PCOS, definitely worth checking into. I know about it because my wife has it, and a background in nursing otherwise I would not know. I'm not a medical expert by any means. LOL

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
just shut the fuck up you whiney lil cunt and work out... quit making excuses and get your fatass into a gym....
What's the matter, blkteg? You haven't got the self-control to stay away from the site and so you try to get yourself banned instead?

OCMuscleJock

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Trainers are GREAT if you get a good one that has the education to back up their skills. Lots of trainers out there don't further there certifications. *which require reading a book and passing a test* some leave it at that and don't learn much about specifics. IE: working with people with special physical needs. Everyone is different and should have a program made especially for their goals. Look into their educational background as well as talking to their clients *if you see them working with others at the gym*. It never hurts to get the reviews of someone that they are working with.

The hardest part about working out is just making yourself go. Motivation is the key and that's the best part of having a trainer. Someone you can talk too, learn from and has your best interests first and foremost on their minds during your session.

GirthDude

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I recommend joining a CrossFit affiliate (go here to get started). Most affiliates I've seen have many female members just like you: struggling with diet, body composition problems/issues, etc.

Joining a CrossFit gym was great for me, it's cheaper than a personal trainer ($100-150/month for unlimited sessions ... you are basically sharing a trainer with other people in the same sessions as you, but you are in a private gym and not some GloboGym chain) and you get some peer support from other people trying to follow good nutrition and exercise regiments. Most trainers will also give you advice and guidance on nutrition as well as safe training technique.

The workouts are also very interesting and varied ... no humdrum workouts in CrossFit.

FastErik1973

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I had a few Personal trainers over the years, I would pick one that has lots certs and experience. If she was female and hot even better. I would stat away from crossfit I seen in young shape trainers get hurt doing that stuff. It's the last thing a out of shape middle aged person should try. The problem with crossfit that it's not related to any specfic sport. If you want something different then try boxing and BJJ even those you still have a chance of getting hurt but you will learn and be able to defend yourself.