Is Africa the *white man's burden?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Wyldgusechaz, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

White Man's Burden is a poem but Rudyard Kipling. It referred to the US and the Phillipines but the title is apropos today for Africa.

That continent is a nightmare from coast to coast. Tribal warfare, AIDS, malaria, Muboto, Zimbabwe, Darfur, Soweto, Rwanda, Uganda it goes on and on. Every single continent gained trade over the last decade except Africa. The only thing anyone wants from that dismal place is minerals. They produce nothing anyone wants. Per capita income may be falling relative to the rest of the world and even tho they have excess coal and oil they cut down acres of trees to make charcoal to heat their huts.

To top it off they senselessly murdered 7 gentle mountain gorillas to prove a point. Not for meat or trophy or animal trade. Just murdered them.

Virunga Mountain Gorilla Photos, Virunga National Park Gorilla Wallpapers, Download, Photos -- National Geographic

They are going backwards and they will never get it tight. What a sad place.

2. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    Did you think we had forgotten that you were a racist? Did you just want to remind or something? I can't fathom what other point you could have had here.

3. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Oh boy. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Guy-jin. Whatever the OP is, the thread was not worded to be conducive to open, unprejudiced, logical debate, therefore, I'll bypass this thread as it seems pointlessly incendiary.

4. giants27

giants27 New Member

That is a extremely simple minded way to view Africa as a whole. Granted there are problems facing the continent there has been growth in many countries economically and politically. I have recently visited Ghana for two months and can tell you that the people I met were some of the nicest I have ever encountered. The stereotype of Africans living in huts with elephants and giraffes is so far off base it is laughable. To say that the entire continent is "going backward and will never get it right" is a very ignorant view.

And if you want to talk senseless murder just check the paper for a major city such as New York, LA, Detroit or Baltimore on a daily basis I am sure you won't have a hard time finding something.

5. Principessa

Gold Member

I think he re-surfaces to remind us all is not well in the USA.

Lately, almost all his posts seem pointless and incendiary. :angryfire2: I don't understand it because when I first joined the site he was not only normal; but nice!

6. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

I ain't here to make friends. The charitable works I do in real time likely dwarf anything you do. But facts are fucking facts. Spin them any damn way you want, but they tell stories. As a pretty strong environmentalist, opening the National Geographic that shows those poor murdered gorillas set me off.

I have made it clear. I believe sub Saharan Africans are going backwards relative to the entire world. Is it racist, certainly one can argue it is. But prove me wrong. Every stat says they are going backwards. Why?

And why fucking murder gorillas?

7. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Africa (much of Africa) has plenty of problems. Perhaps if your thread title were more factual (e.g. human rights record, impediments to economic development, autocratic regimes, health,...) you'd get constructive responses.

8. giants27

giants27 New Member

From your statements you clearly don't have a true idea of what Africa is like. I agree that there is problems but to say the whole of Sub-Saharan Africa is moving backwards makes you lose all credibility in this discussion.

9. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    So you're more upset about your damn gorillas than you are about respecting black people? Calling Africa the "white man's burden"? Your ignorance of the history of the country is astounding, but it wouldn't take a thread, or a website to educate you on the history of the country and it's people, it'd take an entire LIBRARY to educate you and I'm sure you'll be too busy throwing around one or two statistics and feeling like a Harvard grad to actually care enough to research what you're talking about. You really should see a doctor about that severe diarrhea of the mouth, it smells fucking awful in here.

:madfawk:

:fuckyou2:

:crackhead:

:tool:

10. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

Me and a buddy bought a used schoolbus for a school in Uganda. I support, WITH REAL MONEY, 10 kid's education in Uganda. My conscience is clean when it comes to efforts made on my part in that part of the world. Sorry but it gives me the right to post my thoughts on a message board. Especially by pontificators whose purses and wallets stay closed. Do what I do and then you can bark. And yes my thoughts can certainly be labeled racist, I do not hide from that. You tell me why Africa does not make anything anyone wants. You tell me why I know personally of women in those areas that have been subjected to multiple rape. 6,8 10 times.

Label me racist but tell me what you are personally doing to help over there, all of you. I kick in about $400 a month for people i do not know. Do you?

11. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ohh, I get it, you're one of those rich fucks who thinks it's okay to be racist cuz you help us po' black folks who clearly can't help ourselves. Careful, some of that gorilla shit is starting to leak into your ears.

12. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

Again Marley my values are clear. there is a saying: to prove your values is easy, tell me where you put your time and money. I KNOW where i put mine. How about you?

I know, you don't do shit. I physically do inner city work in Denver, Chicago and LA. 10s of 1000s of dollars of work on behalf of the poor. Kiss my ass, you just sit at a keyboard.

I love the Greek Chorus of naysayers who just sit on their asses.

#12 Wyldgusechaz, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  13. lucky8

Gold Member

I wouldn't call the original post racist, because it is mostly true...the point of the thread, im still trying to figure out though

14. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

some valid points are being raised

points that will be blocked out by adherents of the liberal canon

(and, yes, I am more moved by the slaughter of mountain gorillas, and other aspects of the natural world, than I am by the "misfortunes" of a species that is over-populating, and destroying the world)

(and, yes, he could have raised the issues another way, but the same could be said for some other prolific posters who are currently attacking him in this thread)

15. lucky8

Gold Member

But then again I could say chill out about the gorillas, they just discovered 125,000 more

16. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    Here are your "values" (if you can call them that)

1. People killing gorillas means it's okay to be racist

2. Sending a check cancels out the racism

If you had half of a single fucking value this thread wouldn't be the shithole that it is, problem is your head is so far up your ass that any hope of you ever finding the light is about as likely as me finding a unicorn fucking sasquatch in the ass.

I've dealt with people like you before, you probably view yourself as the savior of Africa by sending your checks. Of those women that have been raped, how many have you ever talked to personally? How likely is it for you to walk away from all your possessions to go live over there FULL TIME and teach those kids who need EDUCATION, not new shoes. Of course it's a lot easier for....guys like you to criticize a country you don't live in and only visit to drop off a check or school bus to reaffirm your belief that you're the savior of the country.

Tell ya what, whatever it is you're looking for, glory, pity for those gorillas, affirmation of your limitless charity, the first step to getting any sort of respect would be to stop skirting around like a school girl and admit that you're racist. This hole you're in is so deep that the first step to climbing out would be to admit your feelings of superiority. Go ahead, don't be ashamed, I'm sick of people in 2008 being too pussy to say what they really wanna say, this is the internet, no one's gonna bite.

#16 marleyisalegend, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  17. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

those were lowland, not mountain ... and still subject to the threat of ebola and slaughter by the Africans for consumption

18. giants27

giants27 New Member

I admire the fact you are helping out the children of that school that is quite the act but clearly you don't take the "time" to actually think out your arguments you are thinking with a narrow view towards the situation. Yes there numerous problems but again you could make the same argument for America right now. There are more homicides committed here than anywhere else, our economy is slipping and we are acting as a world police creating conflict in other peoples backyards, just to name a view problems. Africa is a beautiful continent with beautiful people and your racism/ignorance whichever you want to call it, is upsetting.

And if it "proves my values" about this subject I have actually spent two months in Ghana, West Africa volunteering my time as a teacher at a school living with a host family and traveling the country.

19. lucky8

Gold Member

What the hell? Since when is telling the truth racist? Africa is, by 'n large, a country of vast poverty, war, corruption, and disease, and it will be for a very long time

20. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    So do you agree that Africa might be "the white man's burden?" I don't see an ounce of truth in that. Any racist can back up their sentiments with facts.

Draft saved Draft deleted