Is Africa the *white man's burden?

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You're a blind monkey if you don't see that the OP is constantly making prejudice remarks. .

I do not think calling people "blind monkey" is particularly sensitive, especially when discussing the race issue.

You'd go ballistic if someone had the nerve to call you that, so why would you call someone else that even if their color might not be the right one for the insult to have its full nasty weight?

If you are taking issue with someone over them race-baiting, it would probably be a good idea to leave out potential race-baiting insults by you, no?

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I do not think calling people "blind monkey" is particularly sensitive, especially when discussing the race issue.

I'm becoming desensitized. When someone printed Curious George shirts of Obama, everyone played it off...."It's not racist!" "You're just playing the race card". Perhaps you're confusing "blind monkey", a phrase I made up, with "porch monkey" which was a popular racial pejorative.

You'd go ballistic if someone had the nerve to call you that

Assuming that I'd go ballistic? Hmm, that's not prejudicial at all.:rolleyes:

If you are taking issue with someone over them race-baiting, it would probably be a good idea to leave out potential race-baiting insults by you, no?

He's not race-baiting. The one thing I respect about the OP is that he's honest about it. The thread title, all his posts here, and the fact that he admitted to it means he's honest about his prejucide. Granted it's a bit easier to display prejudice on the internet, but it's still honest. Lots of bigot scumbags are too cowardly to admit their biases. I'd rather someone tell me they think black people are stupid rather than date us and befriend us, all the while thinking "It's such a shame he's black, he coulda been really smart if only he had been born white".

Last edited:

If a white person calls a black person a, "monkey," you can be certain that it would be considered racist by everyone who heard it.

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
If a white person calls a black person a, "monkey," you can be certain that it would be considered racist by everyone who heard it.

This is very true Jason however it is still uncalled for.
How about we stick to using "non-prejudicial racist" names.
Let's just call everybody a cunt!
Works for me guys!
cigarbabe:saevil:

I have read most of whats here, to me it's not so much about race....but an argument about who wears the biggest chip on their shoulder. I think it's pretty even.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It seems most of those posting in this thread have barely half a clue what they're talking about on this issue, not least the OP. Muddying the waters with information that may go some way towards aiding understanding seems superfluous when all the answers are clearly found in Wikipedia, national geographic and trite sound bites.

Here's a thought; go to Africa, broaden your outlook a little, learn something about the continent. You may be surprised, probably saddened and encouraged but will certainly have your eyes opened. It may assist in formulating a rational argument instead of what comes across (to me in Marley's case) as semi coherent ranting or (for many others), ill informed (but often well intentioned) babble. Meanwhile, here's a clue; look beyond the headlines.

This thread had the potential to become a worthwhile discussion about an issue that few understand, yet about which many profess concern. It's also one rarely touched on here. Instead it's turned into more of a pissing contest about the comparative racism of the OP and Marley's latest temper tantrum.

I'm a bit busy right now for a history lesson, but as a starter; compare and contrast the post colonial histories of what is now Botswana with what is now the Congo. Pay regard to the effect of political and social ideology (native and inherited), the (mis)management of natural resources, the influence of tribal allegiances, the influence of regional neighbours and the effects of geography. Weigh outcome against potential, consider also the influence of cold war politics and intrigue by foreign powers and former colonial powers.

Repeat the same exercise for Nigeria and Ghana or Kenya and Tanzania. There are many differences between each pair and the individual nations but there's also much underlying commonality - rather less commonality in the case of Botswana.

Then, if there's time - go back 150 years and compare the roles, social structures and influence of the primary ethnic and tribal groups that were subsumed and fractured when these nations were created and trace the paths that led to the situations we find there today. Don't forget to take full account of the effect of western 'Christian' evangelism in this transformation in both pre and post colonial periods.

I agree with some of the OP's points, the facts do speak for themselves but while long term solutions may be nurtured by the 'west' they must originate from within the continent. These changes must occur on many levels. Only when it suits western needs for that to happen will meaningful, beneficial and lasting change occur.

The examples referred to above (if one takes the time to understand the history) may provide a clue as to why that may be some way off. African nations must stand on their own two feet, but that doesn't mean 'we' can't help them find shoes that fit, but right now (by accident and by design) we're much more apt at simply tying their shoelaces together.

Africa may not be the white man's burden, but I'd argue she's entrenched in the darker side of the 'white' man's conscience (no historical pun intended). In a historical sense at least.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Africa may not be the white man's burden, but I'd argue she's entrenched in the darker side of the 'white' man's conscience (no historical pun intended). In a historical sense at least.

even your recitation of the dynamics involve indicate the most problematic aspects are indigenous ...

please recall the USA was once a colony, as well

*** and, no, it is not racist to state that ***

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
I do what I can to make the world a better place including giving generously from my working man's salary. I refuse to allow someone to put a burden of guilt on my back for things I have not caused nor from which I have personally benefitted. Come on people, let today be the day you start making a difference and stop bickering and whining. Get up and do something.

yesitsbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Do you live in a bubble? First it was Bob Geldof, then Bono, then a zillion conferences on what the West needs to do for Africa.

G8 summit: solution to Africa’s problems no longer just a matter of aid - Times Online

The continent appears to be a money pit, money is spent only to be wasted or stolen. There seems to be no end in sight. So for humanitarian reasons the West ( read white men) shoud help but in fact should they? Why Can't Africa find African solutions for their endemic problems?

What do you do with a place that only seems to get worse? Youtell me.

You need to stop being naive. Africa's condition is a direct result of the western world dividing resources there amongst themselves and keeping the Africans out of the world market. Fact is, some people working there are spies - are you a spy? Were you there to keep your heel on the throat of those Africans trying to develop their country?

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
The US needs to stop being the welfare tit for all these other countries and to start taking care of things here in the US.

Is a welfare tit government sponsored free sex? Is this something our tax dollars will soon be providing for the general population. I mean they'd done it for Congress for decades. I wonder what ever became of Fanne Fox?

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This thread had the potential to become a worthwhile discussion about an issue that few understand.

There is no potential. There are more people who are attracted to the dramatics of this discussion than they are what's actually at the root. I myself wonder if this thread was intended to be a wake-up call about African suffrage, a racist rant about savage Africans, or a chance for the OP to boast about how much he does for the people he's prejudice (his own words) against.

Only when it suits western needs for that to happen will meaningful, beneficial and lasting change occur.

Exactly. When there's something drastic to be gained from helping Africa get on it's feet, rest assured the US government will pull all the stops so they can "Help Africa out" while filling up their own pockets. If it's discovered tomorrow that the entirity of Soutern Africa is one big oil field watch how fast we get our asses over there.

That's what kills me about these historical ignoramuses posting here, Africa isn't guilty of ANYTHING that the rest of the world isn't guilty of. The difference is Africa is doing it now, we're in the process of enjoying the luxuries and comforts that resulted from our country engaging in the same genocide, oppression, and slavery. They're savages, we're the lucky pricks that get to benefit from our ancestor's savagery.:rolleyes: