Is anybody else on the site tee-total?

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by madame_zora@Jan 3 2005, 09:25 PM
Lascap, I agree with you about your views as to why Americans have so many problems with alcohol. I think it has a lot to do with repression and "glamorizing" that young people feel about what is out of reach. Despite being a recovering alcolohic myself, I am aware of the health benefits to most people of light drinking and would even be in agreement about dropping the drinking age altogether if not for one thing- Americans are mostly stupid! We WILL NOT take responsibility for teaching our children anything- safe sex, discipline, manners- nothing. We will just put them in front of the tv until they are old enough to ship off to school, then we'll blame the educational system for everything that goes wrong with them. We won't attend pta meetings (I was there- they are grossly underattended). Our kids don't know the alphabet when they enter Kindergarten, can't spell simple words, many have never seen a book. In our country, if the drinking age was removed, there would just be a ton more unattended young people getting drunk. I doubt we'd manage this any better than we have managed anything else. I wish it were not so, but I am coming to realise that we are not so great a nation as I had once believed.

Spank, I don't know anything at all about England, but I commend you for seeing something you don't like and deciding not to participate in it. That is the nature of true character.
[post=271854]Quoted post[/post]​
Jana,First I decided to just highlight the major sentences and delete the rest so that your quote would be so long. I couldn't find a sentence I wanted to delete.

As a school teacher and a youth director in a church, I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said in your post. I had a 19 year old in my youth group who was not Methodist, which is my church. I was teaching that masturbation was OK. I told them that it was wrong to take a girl to bed simply for sex all the while telling her she was the one for you completely deceiving her and breaking her heart when she found out the truth. This is dishonesty and dishonesty is wrong.

I caught hell from that 19 year old from one of those "non denonminatoinal" churches. He said that masturbation is a major sin and I was telling the boys to sin because I told them that if they did have sex to practice safe sex. He said that premarital sex was a sin and I was teaching the boys to sin. I said no that I wasn't. I said the boys have already decided to have sex. That premarital sex "may" be a sin, but to bring an unwanted baby into the world was an even greater "sin" and that to do something that would cause you to get a disease would also be a "sin".

(For the record, masturbation was prohibited in the camp grounds by the soldiers. Anyone caught masturbating was removed to a private area the rest of the battle or specified time. That is the only reference that I know of in the Bible.)

The bottom line is that 99 % of guys masturbate and the other 1 percent is lying. Less than 20 % of people getting married are virgins. It is time that the chuurh and the government and schools recognize this. I do teach that sex with other people is an adult activity though. I tell them there is a reason that 16 is the age of consent. This particular group had no one under 16.

I say it now and I will say it a thousand times. If you read between the lines of the Bible, you will find responsibility as one of, if not the top attribute. There is a story about King David who already had multiple wives who found a woman he really wanted. He had sex with her and she got pregnant. King David arranged for her husband to come home. In those days, soldiers weren't supposed to engage in sex or masturbation during war. Well the soldier refused to enter into the wives bedroom and chose to sleep outside. So David decided to arrange for the "murder" of the soldier so he could marry the woman. (a casulaty of the war of course.) David was punished and for what? The murder of the soldier. And what did God say about David in the Bible. David was a man after God's own heart. King David is admired by both Jewish and Christians as one of the great saints and the author of Psalms, the most beloved book of the Bible. God has a way for forgiving even our worst faults and our failures don't keep us from being great people who are loved and cared for by God. We are judged by the good we do and and our relationship with God according to my understanding of the Bible. If we were judged by our faults then we would all fail miserably.

Why am I bringing God into this? Because America's understanding of God is the reason Americans are so stupid as Jana said. And a nation's belief system and and what is OK and what is taboo in a society gives the essence of the culture of that society and from that predictions can be made about the actions of that society. And those actions may determine whether that society makes it or whether that society colapses under the weight of a bipolar belief system.

Christians are supposed to be Christlike. That is what the word means. Christ is another word for Jesus. Jesus never condemend anyone except some of the high religious authorities. And Jesus broke some of the silly rules they had in place at the time, And he got into trouble for it.

Adultery whitch is sex outside of marriage is condemned in the bible. There is not that much condemnation of premarital sex in the Bible. Like masturbation you have to take a Scripture out of context and use it to justify your position. The Bible does condemn lack of responsibility.

Now I know that you can find several verses throughout the Bible that indicate that a woman being a virgin before marriage. The word virgin means young woman. That is all that it means. It is saying that the woman is a young lady.

The only prohiition against masturbation is at the scene of a battle and soldiers can't go and find their wives to have sex either. That is the only place masturbation is condemned.

Now for my next example of how stupid Americans are about sex. In my sixth grade classroom, there was a girl with a baby already born, incest from stepdad. There were I think two girls pregnant that delieverd after leaving sixth grade and as I recall there were two boys who had fathered a child. Now the last number is debatable as other boys were also rumered to be the father of one of the babies. But he was also in the sixth grade. In the end the two sixth grade boys were identified as fathers.

So, our beloved school board in its most pious authority determined that sixth graders were so "innocent" and were just too young for sex education. There was a program offered to the school that only taught that sex was for adults. It didn't even teach wait for marriage, It tuaght Just wait until adulthood and the value of love in a realatinship. Nope. Couldn't teach that either. They were just too young. This is pure bulshit.

In closing of my long discourse on sex I have to admit that I get quite agitated about this subject. Children aren't being taught anything and I mean anything by audlts. Boys should not have a wet dream and not know what it is and think they are terrribly sick. Girls should not have their first period and not know what it is before hand. And it happens all the time. There are girls who are hysterical thinking they are dying. How is that a way to teach sex education in the various grades in elementary school. The school said to teach the girls in sixth grade about menstration. I said why most have started by then. When should it be started? Well some girls have their first period in third grade. Oh my Jezabel, the poor girl will just have to wait to learn about how to take care of that until hey why not nineth grade? Yes, that was the decision. Ninth grade. We will teach the boys and girls about puberty in the nineth grade. The nineth grade is an obvious choice, it is required by the state. But forget the bannanas in learning how to put on a condom. There is nothing in the growth and development that requires that subject now is there? I knew you would understand. Besides they did use bananas in the Bible. Nevermind the fact that banaas didn't grow their and condoms hadn't been invented. Don't mess with the story. This is the fundamentalist line and they are sticking to it.

I may be wrong. But I teach absinence to children. I teach them to wait for that right person. I teach them that their first sexual act should be one they will always remember fondly and have no regrets about. I don't teach them that it has to be in the marital bed. In our times, people don't get married until after college. It is totally unreasonable that most people are going to wait 10 or more years after puberty to have their first sex act with another person. Sure it happens every now and then, but not for 70 percent of the people. In most stories in the Bible, they didnt' wait either and God never said a word about it in many of those stories. Sure waiting until marriage is noble. But to not do so is not one of the major sins. Dishonesty, lack of integrity, greed, murder, stealing, complete laziness, lack of charity and others like this are the major sins.

We are dealing with a nation that is turning to fundamentalism. In our case it is Christianity. Fundamentalism is dangerous regardless which religion it occurs in. Fundamentalism is a stale regressive "law" based religion. Where the kind of Christianity I beieve in is relationship based. It is not really even about sin. It is about having a relatinship with God and if you believe that Jesus is God that with Jesus. It is about having the spirit of God being with you all the time givng you comfort. It is about having lieglitmate relationships with people that are honest and have integrity. I know I haven't told my wife everything. But I haven't violated anything I have committed to either. All married people see other people that they find sexualy attractive. Nothing wrong with that. My wife and I agreed that our marriage would be stronger if we just didn't share that informatoin about any one perosn with either other.

I married a person, and a family. Her parents are my parents. I lvoe them dearly.

So before I close, I have to look back and see what it was that set me off on this tangent. But before I do, my big beef is those sanctimonious, holier than thou people who spout forth what others should be doing while themselves leading a life that is completely opposite of what they are souting forth for the world to hear. People who tell these wonderful stories of how good they were as teenagers, whem I know they were hauled of to jail one night and the ones that talk so big about how AWFUL premarital sex is and I know they got married at age 16 because they were pregnant. If they would tell the truth and explain why they wish they waited for sex becasue one of them never got to go to medical school and stories lke that it would be fine. But no, from what they spout forth you would think that their children were born through immaculate conception and that these sanctimonious people were still vigins.

Well Jana's post that stirred me up was about alcohol. Actually the whole thread the last two or three days stirred me up. Well Jana coverd that alcohol pretty good. If children were taught to drink sociallly at the table. One glass We teach them that they can only have one piece of dessert. We teach them not to nibble on fattning foods all day long. So alcohol use can be taught. But no, Amercan teenagers are introduced to alcohol out on some back road in rural America around a fire with no adult supervision. Years ago after prom my sister-in-law offered her country home for a party. To come you had to give her the keys to your car when you got there. The kids (high school juniors and seniors) were given a save haven to drink and not drive to have adults monitor and if someone were overdosing on alcohol to stop it. On but OH no. some adults found out about it and called the cops and the cops came and eplained that was a no no. So the kids gathered around a camp fire in the country driving while intoxicated after the party and no supervision at all. Same kids. Real smart thinking on the part of adults.

Then there was the dance at our church. Bitch city came to town. "Kids shouldn't be dancing in the church." I found an old buletin from 1948 announcing a dance a the church. Opps! I read all the passages than have the word dance in them at the meeting. To allow the dance passed with 90 percent of the vote. But some kids didn't come to the dance where there was supervision. And one girl OD's on alcohol while out at the party in the country with no adults supervision. I played for her funeral. I just announced in church. I REST MY CASE. THANK GOD MY BOYS WERE AT THE CHURCH DANCING AND HAVING A GOOD TIME. No one challenged it and there was looks of agreement about it and the issue became a dead issue. No one dared to criticise the policy of providing a clean safe place for our kids. Then came the bitches about the music....... sadly I lost that battle. But not the war. Waited a few months and resumed to normal activity. It is easier to get forgiveness than permission!!! i hate some of the music. But I try to let kids listen to what they want to as much as possible unless it is really bad vulgar.

For those of you who feel that I have over emphasized religion in this post. I appreciate you feelings. But the point of this post is that it is the fundamental holier than thou "bitches and bastards" who invade the church and make life hell for the real believers and they screw up the whole country and churches with their narrowminded sanctimonious crap. But the Bible says the church will always have them. According to the Bible they are false prophets. There words and deeds have condemned themselves.

And from what I have read the fundamental Muslims have twisted Islam much worse the fundamental Christians have twisted Christianity. That is a shame. When talking to "real" muslims, the real ones practice peace and love. I don't know. I am just repeating what I was told by them to me.

So, for those who read this disertation, thanks. It is long. But it is imposible to understand America without understanding fundamentalism. I tell you this with the greatest regret and some anger. My understanding of Christianity has been hijacked and I don't like it one bit.

Jesus was a kind and very forgiving man. In my opinion we should focus more on what He said and less on the rest of the Bible. That is if we are going to call ourselves Christians.

And as a nation, we must first accept responsibility for our actions. We must be honest and truthful with our teenagers. We must end this two faced morality that we are practicing. As a nation we are almost bipolar. The cost for this situation we are in could be the unending of the great American Empire.

Thanks for listening.

Freddie

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by Spank_The_Monkey@Jan 11 2005, 07:50 AM
Not a bad slogan lol :D

I'd go for "Everytime u drink, it makes ur weenie shrink" or some equally camp yet catchy version :p
[post=273898]Quoted post[/post]​
Dammit! :angry: All those drinking parties in college. Who can I sue? So that is why I don't have a 10 inch tool :excl: Is 50 million too much to ask for? :unsure:

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Freddie, never aplolgise for your dissertations, your life experience is valuable and you have a wonderful way of expressing ideas. Your stories of self-imposed ignorance in chruches and schools is saddening, and the death of a student is a grave tragedy. I am sure he would have been safer drinking under adult supervision. I also had "surrender your keys" parties when my daighter was at home, we got through without incident and my daughter is not an alcoholic. This is particualrly surprising because both her father and I are, despite this she has learned a great deal about the disease and the ill affects on a person's life. She rarely finishes a second drink, and she no longer lives at home.

I attended one of those "non-denominational" churches for many years and had quite a good experience with it. I think much depends on the leadership in any church, and ours was a particularly insightful, loving man of God. I will always deeply value the lessons I learned there from a man, in fact a whole group of leaders, who lived what they believed in. I also agree that the current trend toward fundamentalism is a dangerous thing and I can't help but feel that America is headed for tragedy, and not too far away. The "holier than thou" Pharasees were the one thing Jesus condemned with vigor, and these are the very people today who feel quite comfortable comdemning everyone else! It is a shame people can be so blind to the true messages of the Bible, a shame something so beautiful is being used to support messages of hatred and intolerance.

You bring up a good point about extra-marital sex being comdemned in the Bible, and it WAS in a time when people often married as young as 13! Sure, if that were the standard for our culture to marry at the onset of puberty, it might be more feasible, but going through sexual awakening and then waiting 10 years or more is not very practical, or likely to happen. We do have to adjust our views to meet the conditions of our culture, otherwise we are living in a place of non-reality. If we choose to try to resurrect those times, we also must be ready to accept polygamy! We have to be ready to accept that if a women is raped, she must be married to the rapist. We must accept that our virginal daughters are an appropriate sacrifice to a horny mob of men in order to protect our guests- it just gets preposterous. It absolutley INFURIATES me that the same people who say they believe the Bible exactly as it's written shrink away from these topics. The absurdity is obvious! EVERYONE picks and chooses what they want to believe from the Bible, some are just too sanctimonious to admit it. This goes especially for clergy!

Yes, God is the forgiver of sins, he only condemns the unrepentant. It is within each of us to determine how we are doing there, and with no one else. Monogamy is not required anywhere in the Bible, that is something we have added as a culture. We subtract things we don't like, we add things we do. Drinking is not condemend anywhere in the Bible, but drinking to excess is. Abstinance is very hard, and for most people will set up an impossible ideal of who they should be and ultimately lead to failure and depression. I don't think that's what God meant by "living in abundance". Personally, I feel that it is more beneficial to teach our young people to be decent, honest, industrious members of society so they can live productive lives and be in harmony with the world. Shame leads to abusive behaviours, addiction, depression, self-loathing and violence. It is quite apparent to me that our society is suffering gravely from the imposed repressiveness of our culture.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by madame_zora@Jan 11 2005, 03:21 PM
Freddie, never aplolgise for your dissertations, your life experience is valuable and you have a wonderful way of expressing ideas. Your stories of self-imposed ignorance in chruches and schools is saddening, and the death of a student is a grave tragedy.
[post=273974]Quoted post[/post]​
Are you sure we didn't go to the same seminary together?

And Abraham married his half sister? Shall we resurrect that as well? But there was one thing in sexual relationships that was constant thrughout the Bible that God called good and that is honesty and integrity in relationships.

The most misunderstood passage in the Bible is where Paul said preachrs and deacons should be of one wife. Today's fundalmentalism says that means divorce is wrong. No, Paul was saying that a preacher should only be married to one woman at a time. Even that has to be understsood with our culture. Women make great preachers also and there were several in the Bible and the Bible talkes of deaconess and well as deacons. But of course the fundalmentalist look over that. No my church, we have women prechers. Some of the best we have are women. And we have women bishops as well.

The entire Bible must be understood in the culture in which it was wreitten and then interpreted in our own culture. Fendalmentalism is going to destroy our country.

Even 30 years ago, I wrote in a college paper that I feared a take over from the right much more than a takeover from the left. I am even more concerned now.

Your point about non denominatoinal churches is well taken. Since they aren't affiliated with a national organization each one is different. They don't all believe the same thing. Riverside Chruch in New York City is inter denominatoinal. They certainly have nothing in common with some non denominatoinal churches. Riverside is the bastion of liberalism in our national churches today.

You are so kind in your comments to me. I just hope I am half the person that you describe me to be.

I love people. I understand that the eternal truths are what matter.

I try not to be judgmental. However, Leo does try my patience a bit or shoudl I say more than a bit.

I am fiercely loyal to my friends. You are in my inner circle. Welcome.

You have no idea how much I wish you were wrong about the future of America. Sadly I have to agree. If we are not careful, we could walk down the slippery slope of religious right and neo right into the arms of Adlolf Hitler himself. I can see us getting into a religious war with Islam. They would lose big time. We would lose even more. Oh they would lose alright. But we have much more to lose. Our conscience, our democracy, our freedoms, our role as leader of the free world. our prosperity. All of this offered up on the plate of fighting terrorism at all costs, And huge short term profits for our corporatoins without regard for the long term gain.

One day, we may wake up and find out that our country is owned by Japan and China. China's people might not be living so well, but they would still own our country.

The Roman Empire once had a Republic and then became an empire. I fear that we are in the last days of the American Republic. An empire will take its place. Clinton may go down in history as the last president of a free country as we have always known it. If something isn't done, even forums like this will be shut down within a matter of years. All it takes is "national security" or "terrorism threat." to bring in HomeLand Security which in itself is unconsitutional. This president is stupid enough to close all public restrooms if his advisors told him that terrorists were in hiding in these public places. Unfortunately I am not kidding. This president is either that stupid or that power hungary. Not sure which.

You left out abortion. I often point out that if abortion were so wrong why isn't it condemned in the Bible. They knew and practiced abortion back then. Abortion has been practiced for thousands of years. The ancients thought that semen was the seed like a seed planted in a flower pot. The woman was the flower pot. This idea of conception taking place when the sperm and the egg unite is a modern concept. The ancient peoples knew nothing about eggs and sperm. Absolutely nothing.

I am fiercely pro choice. If you are pregnant and need an abortion to live and choose not to abort your baby that is your choice. On the other hand, no one has the right to force you to carry a baby that you do not want to carry. As far as I am concerned the soul enters the body when the baby is born and begins to breath. I just don't believe that all those miscarriaged babies will have a soul in heaven. My wife and I had a miscarriage. I don't expect to see another child in heaven. The baby never lived. It never breathed. The miscarriage occurred at 12 weeks. There was nothing. My wife had to have a DNC to clear out all the stuff left to keep her from hemorraging.

Gosh Jana, I so wish you were wrong on so many things. But unfortunately I don't think you are. Not at all. Time will prove both of us right and neither of us will be thrilled to see our prophecies come to pass.

Thanks so much for your friendship.
You are a very good friend and good person.

Freddie

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
From what I've read, in the Bible, masturbation is about as much a sin as menstruation; both basically make the person ritually unclean and require a mikvah. Of course, saying menstruation's a sin would be idiotic.

As for abortion, I've always wondered why fundies aren't against weapons like depleted uranium. Or forced sterilization. Anyway, there has to be some way to avoid having more children than you can care for, and abortion is more humane than infanticide, and in turn adoption, contraception, and non-reproductive sex are more humane still.

And on sex education, I think this is one of the examples of American neurosis. I mean, kids are having sex in junior high now. Kids are beginning puberty in elementary school. Unless their parents get involved (and their parents 90% of the time either don't get involved in any aspect of their kids' lives or find discussions of sex awkward), they aren't going to know what puberty is, or that sex can have bad consequences. (That's the nature of sexual memes. The ones which encourage proper health have a tendency to be the less-successful ones.)

The fact of the matter, for all "moral values" issues, is that we can't pretend people live in 50s sitcoms.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Jonb, the even sadder fact of the matter is that we can, and do. Even sadder still is that even after the next four years, the damage to our society will take years to correct itself, even if we do elect a more progressive group of leaders. I will not be surprised to hear of book burnings and witch hunts of all kinds, bush has already done so much for us. A real man of God, that one.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by madame_zora@Jan 11 2005, 03:21 PM
Freddie, never aplolgise for your dissertations, your life experience is valuable and you have a wonderful way of expressing ideas.
You bring up a good point about extra-marital sex being comdemned in the Bible, and it WAS in a time when people often married as young as 13! Sure, if that were the standard for our culture to marry at the onset of puberty, it might be more feasible, but going through sexual awakening and then waiting 10 years or more is not very practical, or likely to happen. We do have to adjust our views to meet the conditions of our culture, otherwise we are living in a place of non-reality. If we choose to try to resurrect those times, we also must be ready to accept polygamy! We have to be ready to accept that if a women is raped, she must be married to the rapist. We must accept that our virginal daughters are an appropriate sacrifice to a horny mob of men in order to protect our guests- it just gets preposterous. It absolutley INFURIATES me that the same people who say they believe the Bible exactly as it's written shrink away from these topics. The absurdity is obvious! EVERYONE picks and chooses what they want to believe from the Bible, some are just too sanctimonious to admit it. This goes especially for clergy!

Monogamy is not required anywhere in the Bible, that is something we have added as a culture. We subtract things we don't like, we add things we do. Drinking is not condemend anywhere in the Bible, but drinking to excess is. Abstinance is very hard, and for most people will set up an impossible ideal of who they should be and ultimately lead to failure and depression. I don't think that's what God meant by "living in abundance". Personally, I feel that it is more beneficial to teach our young people to be decent, honest, industrious members of society so they can live productive lives and be in harmony with the world. Shame leads to abusive behaviours, addiction, depression, self-loathing and violence. It is quite apparent to me that our society is suffering gravely from the imposed repressiveness of our culture.
[post=273974]Quoted post[/post]​
The letter that follows a and comes ?efore c does not work on my key?oard. Sorry!
Jana, I have responded to your quote and really thank you for your confidence in me and your looking at me as a man of wisdom. I agree with everything you said ut there needs some clarification. some extra-marital sex is condemned in the il le. It is called adultery. Adultery is have sex outside of marriage without the approval of your spouse. That is the ?i?ical definition of adultery. Non married people can't commit adultery. The fundalmentalists have redefined adultery to mean any sex out side of marriage. That is not the true definition. This comes as a shock to many Americans taught the definition /y the fundamentalists. All throughout the ?i?le there is extra marital sex that has /een approved ?y the other spouse. Even pologamy as you have stated.

There are no passages of Scripture that condemn prmarital sex as a sin in the ?i?le. True in some passages men put their engaged ladies to the chopping ?lock. If we go ?ack to some practices then all men can have all the women they want. ?ut women can't. These are practices of the people in some of the socieities in the ?i?le. The ?i?le never approves of this practice however, Jesus condemned it some nearly 2000 years ago.

Fundalmentalists don't like it when we get out a true ?i?le dictionary and find out what the words meant then and not what we have changed them to ?e.

For those who didn't catch it the ?i?lical definition of adultery is having sex with some one other than your spouse without the permission of your spouse. Oops. Doesn't set well with some religious folks. Sorry. Unmarried folks can't commit adultery. And that is the word in the Ten Commandmnents - adultery. There is nothing concerning premarital sex written there.

All of a sudden the key?oard rememered all those ?'s that don't work. I had to cut lines and lines of that letter out just now. Pissed is the word that fits the way I feel concerning my key?oard. Dammit. Spilled just a little water. Just a little on the thing. and now no letter ? :angry:

Thanks for letting me clarify that definition that is so misunderstood.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Freddie, try drying off your keyboard with a blow dryer set to cool. That worked for me once, I'm a compulsive spiller!

Of course I meant to address adultery and I got sidetracked! You read my mind, but you went into it much better than I would have anyway, so it's all good. I wasn't sure if there were any passages in the Old Testament that addressed premarital sex or not, but I know there are none in the New Testament. I do know that unmarried people cannot commit adultery, because they have not made a vow. It is the oath breaking that is the sin, more than the act of sex. The Bible deals very harshly with this idea of not keeping your word, in fact in several places is clearly states that only under certain very restricted circumstances are we to take oaths at all lest we make sinners of ourselves.

My favorite point about adultery: In the famous story about the woman being stoned, Jesus himself stops the mob from stoning the poor woman. When they have gone, he asks her "Woman, where are your condemners?" when she replies that there are none, he says "THEN NEITHER WILL I CONDEMN YOU". You see, even in a case where something is clearly considered wrong, Jesus was never about condemning anyone, other than Pharasees. The Pharasees he held to a higher account because they represent the church, and in common people's eyes, God Himself. Hyppocrites WITHIN the church and holier-than-thou preachers turn people away from knowing God, which is a sin Jesus deals with directly and angrily. In all other instances, with Mary, with the woman washing his feet with her tears, with the woman by the well, with the tax collectors, in all these instances he shows love, forgiveness, acceptance, kindness and hope for a better future. Very great examples to live by.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
I'm thinking of moving to Mexico, personally.

Oh, about verses in the Old Testament wrt premarital sex, there are a few. They only apply to female premarital sex, though; basically, if she isn't a virgin, she's to be executed. (And it's up to her father to produce the bloody sheets.) Suffice it to say, this isn't something anyone other than Dominionists would like to do today.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ah, Mexico- there's a nice thought. My idoit-level Spanish actually gets quite good when I'm there a while, certainly a better choice than Canada for a sun-worshipper like me. Might see ya on the beach one day.

You are right about the "virgin marriage bed", I had forgotten about that. Thankfully, the New Testament superceded the laws of the Old or we'd all be in trouble! Even the New Testament is archaic in many ways now, but it is good to look at the progression between the two books to understand that the nature of things IS to advance and change with the times. It was never meant to be said that how it is at any one given moment is how it is to be for all time, culturally speaking. I think the Ten Commandments were supposed to be for all times, as they were the words of God himself, but everything else is subject to change, as that is the nature of the race of man, to develop. If we are in fact "created in His image", then we wouldn't be static, as nothing else in the world is static. Seems simple enough.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Well, you might want to be careful; the last sun-worshippers in Mexico had a propensity for human sacrifice. (Of course, Americans are doing the same thing in Iraq, just without Huitzilopochtli's need for human blood to survive.)

lapdog2001

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by jonb@Jan 12 2005, 04:13 PM
Well, you might want to be careful; the last sun-worshippers in Mexico had a propensity for human sacrifice. (Of course, Americans are doing the same thing in Iraq, just without Huitzilopochtli's need for human blood to survive.)
[post=274294]Quoted post[/post]​
jonb,

I thought more modern research had disproved the Mayan human sacrifice myth. I know when I was in Tulum, out guide made sure we knew he was Mayan, not Mexican, and there were many misinterpertations of Mayan culture. The reality was destroyed by the Spanish conquerors, and they wrote the 'Mayan' history.

I know nothing of the Aztecs (other than they were dishonered by naming such an ugly car after them.) :D

LapDog :p

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Well, actually I was referring to the Aztecs. One of the big differences between Aztec human sacrifice and Western human sacrifice, though, is that Aztec sacrifices wanted to be there.

It's actually why they were so receptive to Christianity, because the whole story of the Passion had so many of the same archetypes of giving your own life for the world at large.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was at the pyramids in Tulum, which was a sacrificial site. Our tour guide spoke twleve different languages, one being ancient Mayan. It was absolutley amazing to hear, it was more a series of clicks and buzzing sounds- I can't imagine what it looks like written. The sacrifices were of course done by the Aztecs, and it was considered an honour to be chosen. We got a good history lesson from a very interested student of said, it was a remarkable experience at sunset to be up there at the top imagining those events. A very beautiful country- yes, I wouldn't mind living there at all. I guess they have strippers in Mexico!