Is anyone a twig?

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by B_Danceswithlamps, Jan 1, 2006.

1. B_Danceswithlamps

B_Danceswithlamps New Member

Is anyone else here a twig? (this is around your stomach/abs area, not penis girth) I have always been *very* thin. I can never, never seem to gain weight. I have tried eating and not excersizing (not too healthy), and also eating a ton and excersizing a ton to gain muscle mass, but nothing seems to work. My hands aren't that big, and I can measure my waist (from back to front, not around) by taking my thumb and middle finger and bending the knuckles on both fingers, and that is how thin I am. It bothers me. I am healthy and I know I shouldn't worry about it, but it bothers me....

Ok. Anyone else like this?

(by the way, I'm NOT anorexic or bolimic)

2. B_gagger

B_gagger New Member

Been that way for over 50 years now. Must be in our genes. I think it has its advantages btw.

3. Snakebyte

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    it's genes idd. After 1 year work out and eating proteines like hell I've gained "some" muscles and 3-4 kg weight. That's all. But I can't measure my waist with my own hands. At least not anymore.

4. B_Danceswithlamps

See, I'm also pretty tall. My parents weren't all that tall. I was already taller than my mom by 13. And they are average build too. I wonder. Ah well. My sister is like this also, and so are my friends... go figure. But, it does have its advantages, like fitting through small spaces.

5. warwithscars

warwithscars New Member

Albums:
    well i am 6 foot tall and weight 120 and i am 20 not sure if thats a twig or not haha

6. B_Danceswithlamps

Yes, that qualifies as twiggy, I suppose...

Twiggy, that is a good name for a squirrel... (i love squirrels!)

I was 110 when I was 13, so you are very light! :D:D:D

I haven't gained much weight from then....

7. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Sounds like the diet of adolescence to me, guys: the salad days. I was so skinny in college that I could turn sideways and the prof would count me absent from class.

Then, in my mid-twenties I got married.

End of story.

8. B_Danceswithlamps

Oh, I'm not worried. I'm just curious if anyone else is like me...

9. Altairion

Gold Member

Albums:
    Add another to the tally. I've tried different ways to gain weight and none of them worked either. I'm 5'11" and 145 lbs here.

10. GoneA

Gold Member

i was that way - very, very skinny and no matter how much i ate i could not gain weight - until i started to drink protein shakes; now, i'm more than toned and slightly muscular (i have a four pack, too:p). what you should do is: go to the gym (regularly) and afterwards drink the protein shakes (up to a half-an-hour after the work-out). you should start to see results very, very soon ('bout a week - yet, you know everybody's body is different). if you keep at it, you'll love your new body :p.

there are all different kinds of protein shakes, and yes, some are better than others. personally, i've never encountered one that 'didn't work' or 'wasn't good' - and i've tried quite a few of them - you'll just have shop for the one that works best for you - which isn't a hard thing.

cheers to your new body.

11. bareamigo

bareamigo Member

I used to be when I was in high school. Back then the guys said my dick was as big around as my thigh (it wasn't! ...not quite). But now, a decade later, I've filled out--in a good way. I'm still thin, but not too thin. I didn't do anything special--just grew older and worked out two or three times a week. How old are you? If you're healthy, just enjoy what ya got!

Gabe

12. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    skinny guys are hot

13. B_Danceswithlamps

:D. I'm not worried about my health, I have always been very healthy, but I'm just curious, because I have always (except when I was a very little kid, then I was average) been at least 20 pounds below what I am "supposed" to be. Whatever. I am healthy, and I don't look gangly, and never have. Besides, I'm kinda toned/cut/whatever, and you can see muscle lines, but I'm still like a pencil!

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/specs.html

Look! Its me on the middle and right! :D:D:D

14. B_caneadea

B_caneadea New Member

I take after my father's side of the family; thin.
    The only way I ever gained any size was to work out with weights.

15. B_Spladle

B_Spladle New Member

Creatine monohydrate.

16. B_Danceswithlamps

What does that mean? (hey! that rhymes :D)

17. B_Danceswithlamps

Oh....

No, I won't take a pill for that. Just like diet pills, I don't think they are safe....

I just don't think so...

18. BBB2.5

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Twig....I use to be real skinny. Most would say today that I am not as skinny as I use to be.
    Before I started working out I weighted only 125 pounds. I stand 5foot /10 inches.
    I looked worse than "Olive Oil"....:eek:

I had a 26 inch waist. Today I weigh between 145 and 150 pounds. My waist has gotten to a 29. Now I can find pants that will fit
    me.
    My BMI is around 11%....most skinny guys have more fat than they think.
    One good thing about being skinny...my muscles grew more quickly. I had no fat covering them up...:fingersx:

19. B_Spladle

B_Spladle New Member

Creatine monohydrate is not a pill, it is a powder. And perhaps my answer was a little brief, so I will elaborate some in this post. Hey, I know, I'll tell a story! I love stories! *squeals*

Ahem.

As a freshman in high school, I was 5'0" and weighed about 100 pounds. I had no muscle definition. Hell, I didn't even have pubic hair. Now, I tried out for the basketball team and got cut. Looking back, I guess I should have expected that, but I didn't and was really down about it, because basketball was my second favorite sport (after baseball). The coach told me that if I wanted to try out next year he'd be more than happy to let me; he said I had good ball-handling skills (ha-ha, laugh it up) but that I was just too small and timid. He suggested that I join the wrestling team to get used to rough physical contact and also that I begin lifting weights.

Well, I did both. I bought a book on nutrition and upped my protein intake - I began eating scrambled eggs with my breakfast, and I drank those High Protein Boost things with lunch and dinner. I asked my mom to start preparing more meat for dinner, and she complied. I began lifting after school three times a week. Fast forward a year. In addition to growing six inches, I also gained about thirty pounds. So that was good. Unfortunately, I slacked off over the summer, but thanks to a growth spurt still managed to put on another ten pounds. Granted, this was mostly bone mass, but upon the commencement of my sophomore year, I was given some incentive to resume my activities - our 140 got hurt! Fueled by a desire to fill this void, I redoubled my efforts - if I wanted to wrestle 140 I needed to weigh about 150, and I was still ten pounds shy of that.

So I began to lift twice a day, five days a week. I ran to school at 6:00 every day and got a quick workout/shower in. I stayed after school every day and lifted some more. I made a sincere effort to consume 3000 calories and 150 grams of protein per day. Some days I got there and some days I didn't, but the point is that I was trying.

In three months, I gained the ten pounds. But then I lost the wrestle-off to our 145, who had decided that he wanted to drop a weight class. And of course there was someone to fill the void left at 145 who was also better than me.

So . . . I cut.

When I was weighing 150, I'd guess that I had about 7% body fat. Three months after I lost the wrestle-off for 140, I stepped onto a scale and weighed 127.1. The tenth of a pound that I was over was allowed due to the possibility of a scale error, and just like that I was our new 125.

After the season was over, I didn't feel much like working out. I bloated up to about 140 shortly after my last weigh-in, but much of it was water weight. By the time August rolled around, I weighed in at 135. Then Jake (my stepbrother) told me that he was going to start supplementing. I asked him what he meant, and he explained it to me. Creatine, glutamine, HMB, multivitamins . . . he had it all figured out. Since we were now living under the same roof, I began to mimic his habits. And by doing so, I gained twenty pounds in three months.

This time, it was not bone mass.

I didn't cut weight my junior year. I just refused to. I weighed in at 155 the first day of the season and I weighed in at 155 on the last. After the season was over, Jake and I began discussing what our lineup would look like for the upcoming season (our senior year). We were obsessed with building the best team possible, and what we eventually decided was that he would wrestle 140, and I would wrestle 160. This seemed like a good plan until school started back up and our veteran 180 announced that he was dropping to 171, leaving us with a dipshit freshman as our starting 180. This was unacceptable. We had the potential to be a nationally-ranked team, and I was not going to give that up just because our 180-turned-171 was a dickhead.

This is getting a little long. I'll try to wrap it up.

In the three months prior to the season, I went to the gym twice a day, six times a week. Each workout lasted about ninety minutes, so on average I guess I was spending eighteen hours a week there. I consumed between 5000 and 6000 calories a day, and I never ate less than 200 grams of protein in a 24-hour period. However, most importantly of all, I was taking 10 grams of creatine in four doses a day. I put on 25 pounds.

If I had let nature run its course, I'd be a twig.

But I didn't.

And I'm not.

Wow, that was a fun story. :smile: Point is, if you want to overcome your genetics, you've got to work your ass off. And if you don't think creatine is safe, you haven't researched it enough. Do so. Here are some links to get you started:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/creatine.html
    http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/creatine/creatine-monohydrate.htm
    http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/article-creatine.asp
    http://www.creatinemonohydrate.net/
    http://www.vitacost.com/science/hn/Supp/Creatine_Monohydrate.htm
    http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1038.html
    http://www.raysahelian.com/creatine.html
    http://www.trulyhuge.com/creatinemonohydrateL07.html

Many diet pills are also safe when used correctly.

20. spl98006

spl98006 New Member

Sounds like your hard work and self-discipline were at least as responsible as your supplements. Even though I've never met you or your family, I bet some good genetics probably helped, too.

I don't know if supplements have as dramatic an effect on those of us whose growing days are long over. Not saying they're ineffective, just don't want anyone else here expecting to get results like yours.

Word of advice: don't slack off now that you're in college. I did and I regret it.

Draft saved Draft deleted