Is Anyone dropping Time Warner Cable?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
They are dropping 18 cable channels.

I have Comcast, but if they did the same thing I would drop them.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Our local cable company is dropping two channels and there is a very small rate increase. I don't mind losing the two channels, as they are duplicate networks, just the affiliates from other parts of my state. What I mind is that we are getting fewer stations and it's going to cost almost $2 more per month. If you're going to raise rates, give me something for my money.

pronatalist

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Probably dropping channels not worth the time to watch anyway?

You mean people actually pay for mainstream misleadia propaganda? Funny, it seems I can get plenty of depressing news on all the free channels or radio stations.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Since I have only Basic-the lowest level possible-I am apparently only losing Spike, whch will leave a gap of endless reruns of CSI and a few movies or other shows.

(lovely crawl they have right now asking us and people with Brightouse to call and raise a ruckus: "ALERT! ALERT! ALERT! Attention Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks Customers, starting tonight, you will lose this channel and 18 other channels from your TV including Nickelodeon, Noggin, MTV, VH1, Spike, Comedy Central, and TV Land. Don't miss out on your favorite shows You Can Stop this! Time Warner Cable customers call 1-800-xxx-xxxx Bright House Network customers call 1-866-xxx-xxxx and DEMAND THEY KEEP THESE CHANNELS! MUST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD TO CALL. ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!

They just better not take away my Food Network or Bravo or Oxygen or...

I remember a few years ago Disney pulled a stunt similar to what Viacom is currently doing and ABC was zapped. On the good side, there was a five cent rebate later (attached to the bill as a deduction).

The cable industry screws the customers on a regular basis and the companies which feed them shows also screw us regularly. One would think with all this extra screwing we'd all be happy as clams on the beach after the clam bake was over; yet, for some reason I end up just feeling used.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Must be contract/$ disagreements. The cable company will win, the channels will be restored and the rates will be higher.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
They got cable subscribers over the barrel. Your only other option is to spend you money on Dish. I won't ever do it again. I have free OTA receiver and only get what local broadcasters offer. But I do get all major networks in full HDTV (when weather permits). Paying 700 dollars and above for tv is just crazy. And you still have to watch endless comercials.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Comcast dropped me. They came to hook my neighbor up a little over a year ago and ran out of connections on the little green boxes on the backside of my apartment building. Then they acted like they didn't know why my cable went out the same day my new neighbor was hooked up. Played that game and lied to me for 5 days, then still had the audacity to tell me I was going to have to wait yet another 12 days before they could restore it. I did the detective work, because their contractor never replaced the covers on the 2 green boxes after committing the crime of stealing my prepaid cable signal that month. I also talked to my next door neighbor and he confirmed his new service. After the 5 days, I cancelled service, demanded it be retroactive to the day I complained about lost service. I had to wait 3 weeks for that check.

Around last Christmas (2007), they showed up and told me they could connect me in an hour for signing up for their bundled cable tv, internet and phone service. I reminded them why I had disconnected them a couple weeks before Thanksgiving 2007. Periodically they still show up looking for a new connection/subscription. The free cable converter boxes are working quite well, so I won't ever need Comcast ever again. It's really their own fault, they could be getting a monthly check still. They created economic embargos & sanctions that I had to impose on their terrorist activities. Comcast in my home, they are considered intruders as far as I'm concerned. I don't even want them hooking the cable to the wall on the outside of my apartment. They screwed a loyal customer and will get a lifetime ban as far as my television viewing home is concerned. Funny, that new next door neighbor, he and his stupid wife got evicted for not paying their rent. I've been laughing all the way to the bank every month.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
They got cable subscribers over the barrel. Your only other option is to spend you money on Dish. I won't ever do it again. I have free OTA receiver and only get what local broadcasters offer. But I do get all major networks in full HDTV (when weather permits). Paying 700 dollars and above for tv is just crazy. And you still have to watch endless comercials.

I had an hdtv antenna from the late 1990's, an amplified Terk Technologies TV-20 model. I get 22+ local channels in Miami, FL. What comes in HDTV signal is received, it's crystal clear reception (highest cable and satellite quality). That and the US Government gave me 2, $ 40 coupons for the analog to digital converter boxes and the only way they could get me to ever subscribe again is by ending network broadcasting altogether. The networks here broadcast several channels of digital with alternate programming. I have 2 NBC, 1 CBS, 2 FOX and 1 ABC, so that's 6 channels right there. PBS even has 3 feeds. ION has 4 or 5. There are too many other channels to list from my memory. I don't get ESPN, oh well, how many times can you see the highlight reels over and over of the previous days games ?

Last edited:

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
They won't drop the channels. I read this happens often. Viacom (or whatever company) threatens to not allow cable companies to have the channels at the end of the contract, but they usually just extend the contract while they continue to negotiate. Both sides lose (ad money/subscribers) if the channels go off the air, so they will work it out.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've said this before, but it really galls me that I'm paying $55 a month for cable for the standard (non-digital) package, and they keep dropping channels. Recently they dropped the program guide. When I first subscribed less than a decade ago I think I paid about $30 a month. The digital package only costs a few bucks more, but I have no interest in any of the additional channels, and I don't want to pay the rental fees for the converter box and remote control.

In other words, Comcast is trying to force everyone into buying the digital package by raising the rates unreasonably high on the "standard" package. They don't really offer a moderately priced package anymore. If they did, I suspect a lot of people would choose it.

In fact, I just looked at their Web site, and I don't even see a "standard" package offered anymore. My guess is that I've been grandfathered in, but that new subscribers must choose a digital package.

Unfortunately, I live in a valley, so I either pay Comcast or I give up TV. I should probably just give up TV, as I only watch it about one evening a week on weekdays, and some occasional weekend viewing. Eventually I will. I'm not going to pay a fortune for a service I will hardly ever use.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I'm not big on doing things just for that elusive 'now here's how you'll save money' thing and I'm sort of an easy-going, here's-what-I-know-so-I'm comfortable kind of guy.

However, I switched from TW to Verizon FIOS and although I had a couple of technical problems in the first week or two, I couldn't be happier. It's much, much faster (I have that triple play thing) and very much more reliable (and I didn't know I'd had problems before, but now I see what they were) and way cheaper. And the tech people are the nicest and most patient ones I've ever met...even outside of Bangalore. No, especially.

So, an unqualified endorsement? Yep. They got it here from me.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A few channels have been dropped from my cable, but not the ones mentioned. I don't have TW though.

And the ones that were dropped, I rarely watched. I think they were G4, Mun2, SITV and one that just had infomercials every time I flipped past it.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
They are dropping 18 cable channels.

Time-Warner isn't "dropping" anything. Viacom threatened to pull the channels from Time-Warner franchises unless Time-Warner ponied up an extra 36% over what they were already paying for their signals.

I'm not a fan of either corporation, but Viacom are clearly the 'bad guys' in this drama. This is the same corporation that sued YouTube earlier this year seeking to get paid for every Comedy Central clip that was hosted there.

In a time when the national economy is weak, this was just a shameful play for more money on Viacom's part, and I applaud Time-Warner for having stood up to it.

pronatalist

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's an immoral flawed sales model to begin with. How is it that people pay all that money for a cable or satelite reception box, that is deliberately sabotaged by the greedy corporations, to deny access to everything that is available? I don't see why people should have to pay more to get more channels, when they can only watch but 1 channel at a time, and when the signals are sent out to everybody already. Why have to pay more, unless more is actually "consumed" requiring costly replenishment so that there is enough for everybody else? Thus, I would expect to pay more for more cellphone minutes, but not for permission to use TV signals already mass-distributed to everybody already. Wasn't cable TV supposed to eliminate commercials? Ha! With all the commercials they still have, why isn't it all free?

To protest, I only receive what I can get for free, without a subscription, on my rabbit ears.