Is Anyone dropping Time Warner Cable?

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've said this before, but it really galls me that I'm paying $55 a month for cable for the standard (non-digital) package, and they keep dropping channels. Recently they dropped the program guide. When I first subscribed less than a decade ago I think I paid about $30 a month. The digital package only costs a few bucks more, but I have no interest in any of the additional channels, and I don't want to pay the rental fees for the converter box and remote control.

In other words, Comcast is trying to force everyone into buying the digital package by raising the rates unreasonably high on the "standard" package. They don't really offer a moderately priced package anymore. If they did, I suspect a lot of people would choose it.

In fact, I just looked at their Web site, and I don't even see a "standard" package offered anymore. My guess is that I've been grandfathered in, but that new subscribers must choose a digital package.

Unfortunately, I live in a valley, so I either pay Comcast or I give up TV. I should probably just give up TV, as I only watch it about one evening a week on weekdays, and some occasional weekend viewing. Eventually I will. I'm not going to pay a fortune for a service I will hardly ever use.

Just me, but Comcast or any other for that matter will have to offer satellite radio subscription level prices to get me back. $ 9.99. If enough people get converter boxes and cut them off they have to drop prices. American citizens need to drive Comcast to bankruptcy, drop your cable and watch the cockroaches that have been gouging us over the last 8 years fold like a lawn chair. By and large, I doubt the trickle down of higher cable rates is being paid to the rank and file, but by the same token there are those that are on the gravy train too. I've seen $ 19.99/month go to $ 24.99 and that went to $ 29.99 prior to Bush. The next jump was to $ 39.99, then $ 49.99 and it ended at $ 60/month for me for the most basic of cable packages that would include espn and a few others that I really feel ought to be part of a basic cable plan. Bottom line, they are no longer in my home and good riddance !

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I've never had a dedicated cable TV line. But in Nevada I have the HDTV DirecTV which also feeds me a rather fast satellite Internet connection. Same goes for Barçelona and Buenos Aires. But in Nevada the biggest problem is that my part of that State is considered part of the Ewetaw Nielsen rating area. So, instead of getting local Nevada news we're stuck with hearing at 5:00 and 10:00 PM about how many new mormon temples are being built around the world and which mormon wards are to be divided because of population growth. That's certainly newsworthy in an election year or when you're waiting to hear the weather/fire reports regarding impending range fires headed your way. And Elko County is primarily Catholic.

The work-around is simple enough, I just had to wait for the installation guy to take a piss so I could rifle through his booklet on satellite settings. (I actually just took the damn thing. I'm sure he was able to get another.) And when he left I got out my socket wrench set and readjusted the asmith and degrees on the dish guide anchor. It's not rocket science. But from what I've been told, DirecTV has been out to my ranch and changed the settings back to Ewetaw channels. Somehow they can check by pinging signals to your satellite to ensure that everything is running OK. Of course, when I get back to Nevada it takes all of five minutes to loosen, raise, and move the dish back to the correct angle to get Las Vegas, Reno, and Sacramento for ABC, CBS, and NBC. Oh, and yo have to change the receiver code and redo the channel search and set. But once that's done it's interesting to note the word "fuck" is not bleeped out of shows every time someone says it. I'm sure this will be an ongoing war if I ever decided to live in the USA for an extended time.

As for Time Warner, they supposedly hooked up with the CW? or some other channel. But they still exist big time as Warner Television in Cenrtal and South America as well as Europe. Go figure.

Last edited: