Is anyone else upset about Obama/Watermelon joke?

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It wasn't a joke.

Poor choice of words.

Since Dan is a good liberal, he will get a pass.
This is not getting the play it would have if someone on the right had made the comment.

And if someone on the right had made the comment, Chris Matthews would not have interrupted.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Rather is such a putz. He gives liberals a bad name and is essentially an aged pretty boy who likes to hear himself talk. As a liberal, I wish he would fucking retire. Between the Bush debacle where he basically screwed up the ol' National Guard story so bad that he had to fucking apologize... and balling like a bitch on David Letterman after 9/11, it is clear that he is a complete and utter tool. He's really not that smart at all and makes Brian Williams look like a geneticist.

For a guy who talks on television for a living, he is a fucking idiot.

Any right winger would have been castigated for that statement.

Four long decades of listening to his bullshit is quite enough IMHO.

and yes, Mathews was regrettably trying to help him out. Those talking heads always look out for each other.

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It wasn't a joke.

Poor choice of words.

Since Dan is a good liberal, he will get a pass.
This is not getting the play it would have if someone on the right had made the comment.

And if someone on the right had made the comment, Chris Matthews would not have interrupted.
Guess what Pit, you're wrong again. Rather isn't getting a pass from all liberals. His remark was utterly stupid and another indicator of why he is no longer a credible newsman.
The last newsman I respected was Cronkite. There will never be another like him.

D_Cateryke Cheesysmell

Experimental Member
Media
He must be getting a little senile. He just forgot what year it was for a moment. Stupid and insensitive, yes, but not really newsworthy other than he said it on Chris Matthews show. "Rich old white man makes racist comment, more at eleven." Nothing there.

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Stupid and insensitive, yes, but not really newsworthy other than he said it on Chris Matthews show. "Rich old white man makes racist comment, more at eleven." Nothing there.
^This

I will say that I hope the same lack of news this has generated will apply to all, not just Dan Rather.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
First off - Dan Rather's comments are indeed racist. His intent wasn't as such, but it was a very poor selection of words and he should be called out on that from every angle. It doesn't really upset me as some other comments I've heard and read, but he should apologize and put this whole thing to rest.

However, with that said...
To the starinvestor and the Pitbulls of the board... does this actually make you feel better in some weird and twisted way? You think this actually changes anything? You think this is the end of people calling things out as being racist on this board? Think again. Racism never has nor will it ever be a "leftist" defense mechanism despite all of your claims. Even with Rather's verbal gaffe, that doesn't exonerate you or anyone else who made ignorant, bigoted, racially charged comments or even toyed with them.

Perhaps the next time someone says the "R" word, you'd take the time to analyze what a person actually said instead of assuming the usual, tired-ass political stances?

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
The more I hear the "racism" word bandied about the more tone deaf I get to it. I know racism exists and should be called out but its like EVERYTHING is racism and I simply don't care anymore. I'm thinking to myself, "Yeah, so what, I don't care anymore not everything can possibly be racism. I'm tired of hearing about it. Pick up a book and you'll never be denied."

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The more I hear the "racism" word bandied about the more tone deaf I get to it. I know racism exists and should be called out but its like EVERYTHING is racism and I simply don't care anymore.

Stop overreacting. :rolleyes:
Seriously... EVERYTHING is racism? Perhaps it wouldn't be if you didn't say or hang around people who constantly said ignorant, discriminative crap? Ever thought of that?

B_jeepguy2

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Rather is such a putz. He gives liberals a bad name and is essentially an aged pretty boy who likes to hear himself talk. As a liberal, I wish he would fucking retire. QUOTE]

I thought he was retired? LOL Didn't he get shitcanned by CBS after Karl Rove and company baited him with some fake GW Bush military records and he took the bait!

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
Stop overreacting. :rolleyes:
Seriously... EVERYTHING is racism? Perhaps it wouldn't be if you didn't say or hang around people who constantly said ignorant, discriminative crap? Ever thought of that?

Thanks VB that was easy. You made my point so beautifully. It could not have been scripted better. Not only am I essentially racist so are the people I hang out with.

Everything IS racism!!!

Your making me racist simply makes me not care like I have in the past. Ever thought of that?

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
that doesn't exonerate you or anyone else who made ignorant, bigoted, racially charged comments or even toyed with them.

Perhaps the next time someone says the "R" word, you'd take the time to analyze what a person actually said instead of assuming the usual, tired-ass political stances?

Does a day go by that you don't call at least one person a racist for no good reason except for the fact that they do not agree with you or Obama's policies?

I do not make ignorant, bigoted or racially charged comments but that does not stop you from frequently falsely accusing me.

I could say today is Tuesday and it wouldn't surprise me if you found racism in that.

Why don't you try analyzing what is said instead of your tired ass response of "racist"?

As it was pointed out in this thread, constantly crying racism only results in people ignoring the cry when valid.

Short Stories: The Boy Who Cried Wolf by Aesop

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Never cared for Dan "I'd Rather not". He was a poor successor to Cronkite that's for sure.

But are you all so dim that you can't hear how he is using the phrase? He's saying that the issue in the coming elections will be Obama's leadership and the right will be making the case that while Obama may be articulate, he can't even sell his agenda to his own supporters.

He wasn't saying he personally believed Obama couldn't sell watermelons. He was saying that's the argument that will be used against him.

Poor choice of words, but he's not racist. Open your ears and stop seeing every damn thing through a right/left lens. And yes, if Karl Rove had made the same point, I'd say the same thing.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Thanks VB that was easy. You made my point so beautifully. It could not have been scripted better. Not only am I essentially racist so are the people I hang out with.

Everything IS racism!!!

Your making me racist simply makes me not care like I have in the past. Ever thought of that?

Thanks for your illustrious, comprehension failure. :rolleyes:
First off, re-read that sentence you emphasized and find where I said that ALL of the people you hang out with are racist? Don't look too hard... because I DIDN'T nor did I imply it. Secondly, I never made you a racist. I don't have to make you or anyone else anything, nor do I want the distinction of creating someone (or something) that doesn't have the common sense to know what constitutes as a racist statement.

However, I am sick and tired of watching a bunch of socially guilty people bitching about how every time they disagree with someone on this board they're labeled a racist. It's amazing... in my 37 years of life I never had to worry about being labeled a racist every time I had a disagreement with someone on a political level and I've got into words with people on both sides of the fence on this board. Like I said before, why don't you try to figure out why people find your comments to be a problem, instead of playing this pathetic victim role every time you're called out for making stupid comments? Or are you so oblivious that you need to be taught what is and what isn't?

Pitbullshit said:
Does a day go by that you don't call at least one person a racist for no good reason except for the fact that they do not agree with you or Obama's policies?

Fuck you, Pitbull. Really. :rolleyes:
Despite what you think, I'm not the one using the word most often around here. I appreciate that your disdain towards me makes you want to paint me as some bully who goes after everyone and calls them a racist. But why don't you actually read my statements for once and see how much I actually use the word?

I do not make ignorant, bigoted or racially charged comments but that does not stop you from frequently falsely accusing me.

WTF, son? Who you think you're trying to bullshit here?
You don't think constantly referring to the "Founding Fathers" in a birther thread more than 50 times in a 80+ page thread questioning Obama's citizenship, knowing full well that our "Founding Fathers" had no concept of equality beyond people who didn't look like themselves, couldn't be perceived with some level of racial intent? You don't think someone is going to see you as socially bigoted when you label poor people who don't have health care or need government assistance as lazy people who don't work hard and want a handout? That's just for starters. If you're that friggin' stupid, admit that you don't have a clue and move the hell on. But don't get mad at me for pointing out the blatantly obvious.

Why don't you try analyzing what is said instead of your tired ass response of "racist"?

ROTFLMAO!! Bitch, you don't even analyze your own words or statements on this board for offensive commentary. Don't worry about my analytical skills. Fix your own shit first, hypocrite, then you can try and tell me what I do around here.

As it was pointed out in this thread, constantly crying racism only results in people ignoring the cry when valid.

Sorry... but last time I checked I didn't start this thread nor do I start the mass majority of ignorant, socially discriminating threads on this board. I mean, really... was this thread even necessary? You actually thought that everyone would actually try to excuse Dan Rather for his comments because he's liberal? You HONESTLY think that all the liberals on this board lack the conviction to call out their own when they do something wrong? WOW. How miserable are you?

Last edited:

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
Thanks for your illustrious, comprehension failure. :rolleyes:
First off, re-read that sentence you emphasized and find where I said that ALL of the people you hang out with are racist? Don't look too hard... because I DIDN'T nor did I imply it. Secondly, I never made you a racist. I don't have to make you or anyone else anything, nor do I want the distinction of creating someone (or something) that doesn't have the common sense to know what constitutes as a racist statement.

However, I am sick and tired of watching a bunch of socially guilty people bitching about how every time they disagree with someone on this board they're labeled a racist. It's amazing... in my 37 years of life I never had to worry about being labeled a racist every time I had a disagreement with someone on a political level and I've got into words with people on both sides of the fence on this board. Like I said before, why don't you try to figure out why people find your comments to be a problem, instead of playing this pathetic victim role every time you're called out for making stupid comments? Or are you so oblivious that you need to be taught what is and what isn't?

You totally lead a deluded life. :)

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You totally lead a deluded life. :)

Spiker are you ready to explain how this isn't a bigoted remark?
Originally Posted by spiker067 http://www.lpsg.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif
A real American solution to health care is proffered and you seem incapable of understanding it. It is as if you weren't raised American. The logical conclusion is that you were raised, in the best case scenario, moslem

A "real American" isn't Muslim(moslem to you)?