Is "average" the same as "typical"?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by LemacST, Jul 19, 2007.

1. LemacST

Gold Member

So in most studies, the average penis size is over 5 1/2-6". I understand this. My question is if this is actually "average" in the sense of it being the most common size. For example, if 50% of men were 10 inches long and the other 50% were 2 inches long, the "average" size would be 6 inches. This would be useless though because obvioulsy no guy would actually be 6 inches. This is basically the question that I'm asking, even though the average number tallied up from every size is 5-6ish, is it also true that MOST guys also fall very close to this size?

2. snoozan

Gold Member

you're talking about the different ways to find an average. there are three ways to measure an average-- mean, median, and mode.

To find the mean you add up all the numbers and divide the answer by how many numbers you have.The Median is the number which is in the exact middle of the data set.

The Mode is the number that appears the most often if you are working with only one variable.

3. LemacST

Gold Member

You're exactly right.

Basically, everything I've read has been the mean average. I'm wondering what the mode is.

4. psidom

Gold Member

Albums:
    we are dealing with dimension time and space here.
    also what about paralax error?
    it is something about perspective of what is actually there.
    google it once.

5. smally

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    there is only 1 way, the first one that you mention. the other 2 are interesting, but not averages

6. No_Strings

Gold Member

Actually, while Mean is by far the most common way of discerning an average, Median and Mode(among others irrelevant to this topic), are both valid forms of measuring central tendency.

7. LemacST

Gold Member

If there is no official mode for penis size out there, I'd like to hear what you feel the mode is from your own experiences

8. No_Strings

Gold Member

From my own personal experience, and other factors(micropenis etc) I think the Mode would be higher than the Median when it comes to penis size.

I may very well be wrong. :smile:

9. LemacST

Gold Member

Hmm. I'm like 6-6 1/2" long and a bit over 5" girth and I'd consider myself exactly average by anyone's standards. This is why I'm so curious, lol.

10. snoozan

Gold Member

I'd agree with you or put you on the large side of typical from my experience. I rather like that size, myself.

Oh, here's an exhaustive wiki article on deriving averages:

Average - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11. JustAverage

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Well, if penis size followed a normal distribution (what most people know as the bell shaped curve), then the mean, median and mode would be equal. Of course, we don't know if it really does follow that distribution, so it's hard to say.

12. whatisup618

whatisup618 New Member

i think its like a combo of the mean and mode and usually those can because unless u ahve outliers such as a 25 in cock or a .1 inch cock

13. Freddie53

Gold Member

One study said that a very large majority of adult penises are over four inches long, but less that six inches. If I remember right, it is over sixty percent and close to 70 percent. About the name percent is under four inches as is over six inches. The percent under three inches is small as is the percent over seven inches.

Of course on a site like this, those numbers aren't accurate.

In the study where a doctor did the measuring and not the guys measuring their own penises, the average was 5.1.

Go to Rate.Rod I think is the website. There is a ten best looking penises and the ten worst looking penises rated by visitors to the site. Micro penises are going to bring down the average and there are a few in that worst looking category.

I also read that doctors have said that a penis must be 1.6 inches erect to be functional. I don't know what procedure they used to make that conclusion.

14. viking1

Gold Member

Most doctors now give 5.25-5.5" as average lenght and 4.75-5" for girth.

From what I have read a good average range would be 4.5-6.25" for lenght.

About 4.5-5.25" for girth. This would take in about 70% of all men.

Some surveys show the number of men reporting a certain size. It comes very close to centering on the average. So I would say this is the most common size range. I have no experience measuring penises, other than my own. This is just what I have read from factual studies.

LemacST, I don't see where you have anything to worry about, you are on the high end of average. That should be fine with most women.

15. kurios

kurios Member

To me when people talk about the 'averages', length and girth, they really mean the most common or 'mode' though it seems in fact most if not all studies do an averaging of all sizes to come up with a 'mean' that can be significantly scewed by high or low measurements.
    I am fairly convinced that in a locker room of 20 guys most would measure in under 6" with a girth of around 4 1/2 " so if say 12 measured in under
    6 " the average, most common, in that locker room is under 6 if you measure more you are above average (or are longer than most guys in the locker room) if less you are shorter than most.

16. CardiffDillon

Gold Member

I think it's extremely unlikely, or even impossible, that penis size would follow any other distribution. Almost every measurable feature of human anatomy follows this pattern. Even IQ follows the same distribution.

If penis size was totally random then condom manufacturers would never be able to calculate how many of each size they'd need to make. Every clothing maufacturer, footwear manufacturer, furniture maker, aircraft designer, etc, uses normal distribution of human anatomy when designing their products.

From my anatomy classes I seem to recall that one standard deviation in humans is 15% of the mean. So if you have an IQ of 115 you're 1 standard deviation above the mean. Someone much cleverer than me can do the calculations for a mean of 6 inches when it comes to dick!

cheers

Dillon

17. JustAverage

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Yes, I do think it probably is a normal distribution. I just meant that we're not 100% sure.

Also, despite how many averages I've seen all over, I've never seen one study with a standard deviation. That would be more meaningful to me.

18. hmg

hmg New Member

penis size & Stardard Deviation Tables
    fl 3.4 4.1 3.2 3.4
    fg 3.9 4.3 3.9 3.9
    el 5.9 6.5 5.4 5.9
    eg 5.0 5.1 4.9 5.0
    white black asian hispanic
    http://www.penis-size-facts.com/penis-size-facts.html
    flacid length 86.3mm(3.4")+/-27.0(1.1)
    erect length 161.5mm(6.4)+/-31.5(1.2)
    circum. erect 127.6mm(5.0)+/-25.5(1.0)