Is Being Gay A Choice?

dreamer20

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Um, a 100% straight guy just sent me a pm asking me if his cock would "interest" me. So, some of these 100%ers aren't necessarily uncomfortable. It seems that some of them like the attention. Hey, a compliment is a compliment. And I can appreciate beauty even when I can't touch it...:smile:

Was this the man simcha?:wink:

http://www.lpsg.org/1445497-post112.html

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well, in Fundamental Judaism (Ultra-Orthodoxy) you don't have a soul until you draw breath. Thus you aren't technically a full human being until you emerge from the womb and draw your first breath. Therefore, abortion is Halachically (Jewish Law) Legal. In fact, some Rabbis would argue that if the parents knew of a genetic condition before the child is born, it would be the duty of the parents to terminate pregnancy rather than put a soul through the trials and tribulations of living with a genetic defect. This principal is sometimes used in screening for Tay-Sachs Disease in the Ashkhenazi Community (Eastern European Jewish).

I'm not sure what Halacha would have to say about knowingly birthing a homosexual man if one could test for a gene. Homosexual women don't count because a prohibition against female homosexuality isn't mentioned anywhere in Torah.

Anyway, also there are several camps concerning male homosexuality and Halacha. Some say that the Torah prohibition is about sex for sex's sake alone between men and not the bonded relationships that gay men have today. Some say that the Torah prohibition is about Canaanite homosexual temple prostitution where a man would take on the "female" role in a fertility right. There are other injuctions against men posing as women in the Torah. And some would say that the Torah prohibits male homosexuality altogether. Then there are the Ultra Orthodox who don't believe that male homosexuality is forbidden at all (they are in the minority).

Interesting. I did not know that Orthodox Jewish interpretation of what after all their own ancestral body of writing, and which others have adopted and regard as their own, was so different from Christian (who are an offshoot of Judaism most distinguished by their success in making conversions) fundamentalist.
Not that I am going to get into a religious debate about abortion.

(Not on topic) Monotheists are pleased to consider themselves as an evolutionary stage beyond Polytheists, would not therefore a religion without a god, such as Buddhism, be considered more advanced still?

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Closer to the truth, says I.
(Some people think Buddhism is closer to a natural science than a religion.)

Just got a copy of 'the Universe in a single Atom, the Convergence of Science and Spirituality' by the Dalai Lama, developed out of his own discussions with eminent scientists, that would seem to be his view as well.

Nice to have someone more interested in conversation than in laying down dogma.