Is Blu Ray going to be the Betamax of the 21st century?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is Blu Ray going to be the Betamax of the 21st century?

I knew maybe 3 familys that had Beta back in the early 1980's. All swore it was better than VHS, and it was; but it never caught on with most of the viewing public.

This would seem to negate my above question:
End of the format war and future prospects
On January 4, 2008, a day before CES 2008, Warner Bros. (the only major studio still releasing movies in both HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc format) announced that it would release only in Blu-ray Disc after May 2008. This effectively included other studios that came under the Warner umbrella, such as New Line Cinema and HBO—though in Europe, HBO distribution partner the BBC announced it would, while keeping an eye on market forces, continue to release product on both formats. This led to a chain reaction in the industry, with major U.S. retailers such as Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Circuit City and Canadian chains such as Future Shop dropping HD DVD in their stores. A former major European retailer, Woolworths, dropped HD DVD from its inventory. Netflix and Blockbuster—major DVD rental companies—said they would no longer carry HD DVDs. Following these new developments, on February 19, 2008, Toshiba announced it would end production of HD DVD devices,[39] allowing Blu-ray Disc to become the industry standard for high-density optical disks. Universal Studios, the sole major movie studio to back HD DVD since its inception, said shortly after Toshiba's announcement, "While Universal values the close partnership we have shared with Toshiba, it is time to turn our focus to releasing new and catalog titles on Blu-ray Disc."[40] Paramount Studios, which started releasing movies only in HD DVD format during late 2007, also said it would start releasing in Blu-ray Disc. Both studios announced initial Blu-ray lineups in May 2008. With this, all major Hollywood studios now support Blu-ray.[41]
However, stranger things have happend. After all, VHS ruled the school for over 20 years. Honestly, I don't care how much better, clearer, or whatever they make the picture. I really don't need to know that David Letterman has large pores on his nose. At this point, all I want is a guarantee that I won't have to buy another F'g gizmo that costs $200+ just so I can watch American Gigolo and Rudy.

Wish-4-8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ha ha ha. I was watching a demo at Best Buy once, and the hostess was Mary Hart. I left thinking, damn, these women should be very afraid of all this clarity. I could see every line and wrinkle on that aging woman. She looks good from far, but is far from good. lol.

B_Marius567

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have a HD-DVD and Blu-ray and HD-DVD Looks better on my DLP 1080p hdtv.

DLP is dieing too. dlp has 40% more color then lcd and plazm but you cant hang it on your wall :(

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Letterman's big nose won't be on Blueray. It's already on HDTV. :tongue:
(does anyone watch Letterman anymore?? boriiing..)

Blueray is great, I have quite a few titles now. My favorite is BBC's Planet Earth box set. You can see every little hair on the polar bear cubs!

HD DVD is dead. Toshiba is manufactering Blueray players now.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
my dad was a big tech fanatic and we got a betamax almost the second they were introduced, in mid 1975 IIRC...it was great, then when VHS came out the very next year, my dad got one of those as well, and for a few years we simply had both.

my dad got the betamax originally and got the betacam, which was a video camera that went with it, since VHS had not arrived yet

my dad still had both up through around 1983, then he simply got rid of the betamax and bought two VHS players instead.

the VHS had more recording space on its cassettes than the betamax did.