Is Brigitte Bardot a racist?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

Brigitte Bardot convicted in race case in France

PARIS: Brigitte Bardot was convicted Tuesday of provoking discrimination and racial hatred for writing that Muslims are destroying France.

A Paris court also handed down a $23,325 fine against the former screen siren and animal rights campaigner. The court also ordered Bardot to pay $1,555 in damages to MRAP.

Bardot's lawyer, Francois-Xavier Kelidjian, said he would talk to her about the possibility of an appeal.

A leading French anti-racism group known as MRAP filed a lawsuit last year over a letter she sent to then-Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy. The remarks were published in her foundation's quarterly journal.

In the December 2006 letter to Sarkozy, now the president, Bardot said France is "tired of being led by the nose by this population that is destroying us, destroying our country by imposing its acts."

Bardot, 73, was referring to the Muslim feast of Aid el-Kebir, celebrated by slaughtering sheep.

French anti-racism laws prevent inciting hatred and discrimination on racial or religious or racial grounds. Bardot had been convicted four times previously for inciting racial hatred.

"She is tired of this type of proceedings," he said. "She has the impression that people want to silence her. She will not be silenced in her defense of animal rights."

My two cents:
    Now y'all know I am against all racism, not just people who hate black people. However, if I have read this article and others correctly there are actually two separate issues here. The first actually has to do with Ms. Bardot being a very passionate animal rights activist. It is this rabid fanaticism which has led to her being convicted as a racist.
    The Brigitte Bardot Foundation fights to defend animal rights and does not specialize in a specific area. It's ambition is to be at the heart of the fight for animal rights, whatever this may entail.
    That 2nd sentence which I italicized is the root of Ms. Bardot's legal problems. She has basically adopted Malcolm X's concept of "by any means necessary" for her use in supporting animal rights. IMO, this is ridiculous. She has targeted practicing Muslims who slay and eat lamb as part of one of their religious celebrations because she loves all animals.

FWIW - I am a carnivore and while lamb is not my favorite meat I am not about to condemn an entire religion for eating it.

Is she also going after people of Greek heritage? Lamb is a major part of the traditional Greek diet. Heck in Christianity both lamb and ham are traditionally served for Easter dinner. The only difference is there is no ritual slaying of the lamb or pig.

It's a good thing Ms. Bardot doesn't live in New York, New Jersey, Florida, or many of the other states in which Santeria is practiced. Her stupid, little head would explode if she found out that chickens and goats are routinely sacrificed in Santeria.

I think they charged her with racism because calling her out on being an animal rights fanatic would make France look bad.

2. uncut1234

uncut1234 New Member

bla bla who cares..
    theres lots of racists out there. get used to it.

i cant turn on comedy central at night without seeing some black guy totally rip into white people in every aspect you could imagine.. but guess what.. i laugh my ass off because its all in good fun, its always the minorities bringin up racism, maybe some of us whiteys should start a thread about how bad black people dog us in stand up comedy and everywhere else and get away with it?

3. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    BB has a history of supporting extreme, nationalist, far-right causes.

Her support for Jean-Marie Le Pen and his pseudo-fascist National Front party shocked many who had previously admired her, both as an entertainer and as an animal rights activist.

In response to the title of this thread...yeas. She's a hater.

4. B_jacknapier

B_jacknapier New Member

lol @ european lack of 1st amendment rights

5. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Yeah, I'm more pissed off that France does not have freedom of speech.

6. Elmer Gantry

Gold Member

Albums:
    It also highlights the perversion of the lunatic fringe of animals rights activists. When animals are placed before people in rights, then we have a problem.

7. Elmer Gantry

Gold Member

Albums:
    No, they just have quaint old world notions like a justice system that works.:rolleyes:

8. B_jacknapier

B_jacknapier New Member

But... no freedom of speech?

9. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Like the Inquisition. There system only worked until the Nazis marched in.

10. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I won't disagree with you entirely, but if France (and most, if not all of Europe) labels Hate Speech as a crime, that really is their business, non?

We have limits on our speech as well. One cannot yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater if there's no fire. They have taken that concept further than we do, but it's the same concept.

FWIW, negative and/or comparative advertising isn't allowed either.

11. Principessa

Gold Member

I was unaware of her connections to Jean-Marie Le Pen. I stand corrected. The French courts should have given given her a stiffer penalty. :mad:

12. frizzle

Gold Member

Well any religion that adheres or encourages slaughtering of animals in a barbaric way is uncivilized. And yes, current affairs usually involving muslims changing countries is nothing surprising since it happens all around Europe.

13. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I am out the door and do not have time to adequately research/link the necessary info, but I believe her most recent husband was Le Pen's right-hand man in the South of France.

The National Front calls for the expulsion of millions of people whom they decree "scum" by nature of not being racially European and culturally French.

14. B_jacknapier

B_jacknapier New Member

Do you think Judaism is uncivilized?

Every culture has their own little idiosyncrasies.

15. Flashy

Gold Member

yeah, and a society totally riddled with racism against Arabs and NOrth Africans...even though their "justice system" has "anti-racism" laws designed to combat this.

France does not have one single black or Arab TV presenter, and all Members of PArliament from mainland France are white. 27% of North African college grads are unemployed.

and as the BBC stated:

Sadek recently quit his job delivering groceries near Saint-Denis, just north of Paris. He was tired of climbing stairs with heavy bags.

Sadek, 31, has a secondary school education and aspires to something better. But he knows his options are limited: "With a name like mine, I can't have a sales job."

Telemarketing could be a possibility - his Arab roots safely hidden from view. Of course, he would have to work under an assumed name.
    Sadek's story sums up the job prospects of the children and grandchildren of Muslim immigrants.

They may be French on paper - but they know that Ali and Rachid are much less likely to get ahead than Alain or Richard.

Racial discrimination is banned in France. But a quick look at the people working in any shop or office suggests the practice is widespread.
    The impression is confirmed by official statistics.

Sounds to me like the justice system there has just as many problems as those in most other nations do.

16. Flashy

Gold Member

well, I am jewish and i strongly object to Kosher slaughter. That being said, at least here in the USA, kosher slaughterhouses began working with noted animal-rights group to make suffering as minimal as possible.

17. dong20

Gold Member

Because as we're all aware, first amendment rights are so assiduously and universally enforced in the US. Regardless of the fact the amendment as written protects citizens only from congress, not each other. Interpretation by the courts has extended that 'protection', but that precise right in the context in which you refer to it, is illusory. :rolleyes:

Firstly, Europe is a continent, not a country. Secondly, ... have you never heard of the European convention on Human Rights? Thirdly, France does have a right to freedom of speech:

"The free communication of thoughts and of opinions is one of the most precious rights of man: any citizen thus may speak, write, print freely, save [if it is necessary] to respond to the abuse of this liberty, in the cases determined by the law." ~ Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen, of constitutional value, article 11.

France has also adopted article 10 of the ECHR.

Having laws that seek to prevent the incitement of racial hatred doesn't equate to suppression of a freedom of speech, merely further reinforce article 11 above reminding us that while we may have such a freedom it cannot be guaranteed free from consequence. A lesson not lost on BB this day, I'm sure.

I'm not going to try and further correct your ignorance, do some research and come back when you know something about that of which you speak.

Of course, no system is perfect, but as a citizen of the US you are in no position to throw the first stone.

18. frizzle

Gold Member

Not as mixed up and confusing as the muslim/middle eastern culture.

19. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Firstly the 'cruelty' issue BB has a problem with is Halal slaughter - it isn't that she is particularly fond of lambs.

In Halal slaughter the animal's throat is cut without severing the spine.

The Islamic CUltural Centre & The London Central Mosque - It's Your Mosque Too !

I think you will find precious few people who say the animal suffers less or the same during halal slaughter than it does if a bolt gun is used.

I personally think BB is as mad as a coot, and has been for some time - she's fallen in with the likes of LePenn as a means to an end. And, both in my opinion and under French Law, her letter to Sarkozy did provoke discrimination and racial hatred.

Ahem! Pardon? Citation on the black and Arab TV presenters please. And the other two statements for that matter. And does it matter nothing to you that the first black member of l'assemblée nationale française was elected in 1914? When was your first black congressman elected?

Thank you, dong - for saving me the effort.

There IS a problem here in France between traditionally Muslim communities and certain types of white French people. Interestingly enough, from anecdotal evidence, this was not a problem (or certainly as much of a problem) until the 1990's. A further influx of economic migrants to a France that is having trouble balancing its books anyway combined with a global highlighting of Islam as different has caused a chasm between North African and Turkish 1st and 2nd generation migrants and their white (and usually French) counterparts. There is not enough money in the system and cuts need to be made - in any country at times like these polarisation based on any ascertainable difference will occur. It is happening in the UK as well but not nearly so much in Ireland which is more prosperous so there is enough money and work to go around.

None of that excuses the racism - but it does go some way to explaining it. The fact that some washed up old bint feels the need to jump on the hate band wagon to defend the 'rights' of a few bleating lamb chops, however, is just ridiculous and I really wish they wouldn't bother giving the batty old duck the press.

#19 ManlyBanisters, Jun 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  20. B_becominghorse

B_becominghorse New Member

Brigitte is very dotty but she's a great French figure. I am not concerned with Muslim problems with their various bullshits, even if I sound like a racist. France is actually getting itself in much better shape to deal with the Islam, its backwardness and gross bigotries toward women, gays and anything not Islamic, due to Sarkozy. I don't care about this particular case except for liking Ms. Bardot despite her growing senility, but France is hardly a land of 'no free speech', or you wouldn't have more de facto free speech there by a long shot than anywhere else. They are not consumed with bullshit political correctness the way Americans are, and their intellectuals have long been freer in their expression of literally everything than have Americans or Brits. If anything, they need to be wise to the real threats of propaganda of leftist and Marxist French who have definitely taken Muslims to their bosom as 'the new oppressed.' Islam itself is a very intolerant religion, and some of the most left-leaning French are having to get wise about this. Sarkozy is not someone I would have supported in any other country, but the French needed this.

Islam is one of the few realms in which their is so much intolerance and bigotry inside it that accusations of 'Islam-bashing' are far different from racism toward blacks, Asians or other groups based on ethnicity. The practices are barbaric, and they get their little feelings hurt very easily by such shit as Danish cartoons and burn up places like holy hell. Then, when two boys in the banlieue of Paris were harassed and bullied a few years ago, their was the huge wave of car-burnings, for which I have no sympathy at all. They are still the reason for the seriousness of terrorist threats coming from Pakistan, and this is not going to go away.

I wouldn't behave in a racist way on an individual level to Muslims I meet in New York (which is nearly every day), but I admit to disliking the religion among powerful world religions, and considering it far more dangerous than all the others. I'm just not worried about Muslims and their goddam religion. They are unique among religions if only in that are the most world-threatening TODAY. All American political leaders know this, and so do all of the Western liberal democratic nations' leaders. The rest is fairyland (without the fellatio.)

#20 B_becominghorse, Jun 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
Draft saved Draft deleted