IS bush a dry drunk?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by madame_zora, Oct 19, 2006.

1. madame_zora

Gold Member

I was going through some old emails, and I found a letter I had exchanged with the author of the following article. I have referred to it recently in conversations with a couple friends here, and I was happy to have found the letter, so I could find the original article. Happily, it is still online, and poses some interesting perspecitve on what could be an important part of the big picture of what's wrong with our president, and the rhetoric sweeping the system. Look at ALL the people who have "come out" as alcoholics of late.

As an alcoholic myself, I found this article to be extremely accurate in the descriptions of the condition, and the sources cited were far above average for such an undertaking. These several years later, the imformation seems even more relevant. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

http://www.counterpunch.org/wormer1011.html

2. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Yes.

I've always believed he was/is.

I'm quite sure I'd prefer him smashed.

3. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not to trivialize this topic, but He reminds me of Aerosmith and
    the Rolling Stones. I much more prefered them when they did
    Heroin.

4. Freddie53

Gold Member

What an article! And sadly its conclusions seem to be easily proved. Bush was a fialure until somehow he managed to win the governship and the Supreme Court gave him the Presidency.

The worst part of all is that George Bush has tunnel vision and can only see the vision to be the de facto supreme ruler of America.

Thanks Zora for sharing this. It is very inlightning.

5. AndrewEndowed24

AndrewEndowed24 New Member

Albums:
    well, how long has he been on the wagon? Is there a time limit to that sort of thing?

6. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    My partner swears he not dry anymore. He was in the Air Force and knows drunks when he sees them. How about his "shoulder massage" of the President pf Germany? That was the kicker. Last year it was Coke. Check out the sideways jaw twitch at the end of every sentence.

7. Snakebyte

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    idd, did I miss something? dry? :wink:

8. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

While I agree that he certainly exhibits those traits, I am not sure I would jump to those conclusions - it is not easy for an outside observer to make a diagnosis based simply on a set of behaviors.

Diagnosis and prognosis aside, there is a lot of merit to the article. Whether it is from years of substance abuse or from a life of failing to live up to the family expectations, one thing is clear. George W. falls way short of grandpappy Prescott and pappy George H. W. I admit, I have not studied his biography, but it seems that he was never able to start anything by himself, and he even failed when GHW and Prescott set him up. He failed so miserable at business that the family decided to set him up in politics, where even his failures could be "spin-doctored" into successes, and that continues to this day.

For those of you who are not familiar at all with his background, you should do a couple of online searches for "Prescott Bush". Be sure to read at least at least 3 or 4 different sources, hopefully finding a couple of "pro" and a couple of "anti" to get a fairly balanced feel. Prescott Bush was not necessarily a nice man, and his family empire should be viewed with a bit of a jaundiced eye, so to speak.

9. Shelby

Gold Member

There's nothing quite like psychobabble to give one the illusion of knowledge. Snake oil sales are still booming. Apparently always will be.

Besides, I thought Bush was supposed to be Hitler.

10. Brooklyn80

Brooklyn80 Member

Albums:
    Me too!

...between the grill of a Mack truck and a rock wall.

11. Shelby

Gold Member

take a deep breath...

hold it...

exhale slowly...

again

12. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Why is it, I wonder, that people who need psychiatric intervention most are the ones who most immediately spout the phrase 'psychobabble'. :33:

It's so Bill O'Reilly.

Silly. Bush doesn't come close to Hitler's intellectual prowess.

13. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Shelby, I'm curious. Is there anything that our current president, or anyone on his cabinet, could do that would make you less inclined to defend him and support him on every turn? Again, this is just curiosity. Please don't pull a FoxNews on me and answer by asking me a question. No, I doubt there is anything he could do that would restore my confidence in the office of president - he's damaged it too profoundly. No, I am neither a democrat nor a partisan democrat supporter.

If he actually decided to use Constitutional guidelines for his choices and decisions over the next two years, yes, it would mitigate my loathing for him and his policies. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening.

14. BareAss

BareAss New Member

Bush is an egotistical invalid, with visions of grandure. I do hope History remembers him in a realistic way.
    BareAss

http://Forum.Dull-Roar.com <--Opinionated reality

15. Shelby

Gold Member

Yes.

He/they could cave.

16. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Honestly, it does not bother you that the US Constitution holds no meaning for this administration? That's really scary.

17. madame_zora

Gold Member

Don't let him bother you, he's just playing devil's advocate, for the most part.

Shelby's too intelligent to argue for bush based on merits. What's going to happen from here on out is that anyone who has formerly defended bush, who still has any ego left is that they can only call his detractors whackos in the future. Look for a lot of that from people who would be pained to say "I was wrong, about the whole fucking thing"- which is a lot of people.

18. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

That makes a LOT of fucking sense.

Yes, don't cave, give in, or admit fault or wrong.

Let's just keep sending our limited supply of soldiers over there so they can keep dying and families can be fatherless. Look at the PROGRESS we are making telling others how to live their lives in their own fucking country (Isn't that what the American Revolution was about, anyway?!?)

Eventually, we'll have no armed forces to really speak of and a lot of the nations we despise will start pissing in our faces knowing how weak our military is (wait, that's ALREADY happening).

Fuck on a crutch, is it really that hard to say "We were wrong."?

19. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Oh, Lex dear, that's rich. Of course, no one no where no how should ever admit error.

Especially not your heart surgeon, as you are being prepped. The lab switched two (intelligence) EKGs. No backing out now. Stay the course.

You make a wrong turn and end up on the wrong freeway. Don't turn around, that would be "caving." Stay the course.

Your spoon is on its way toward your mouth, when you notice there is a fly in it. Don't backpedal, don't flip-flop, don't admit there's been a mistake. Carry that mo'fo' right on past your lips and chow down.

Our boys are dying by the hundreds, due to "misinformation." If we back out now, we will look weak, and they Iraqis will never be able to fix their problems without us. Don't turn back. Don't cave in. Stay the course.

20. AndrewEndowed24

AndrewEndowed24 New Member

Albums:
    I don't support bush but i think it's pretty obvious that Shelby has a point. I don't agree with Shelby's point on the grounds that LPSG threads ARE the place for loose talk and speculation and that obviously that magazine is somewhat fringe. But, if it were brought forward by a respectable entity without significant evidence I would be concerned.

This is just my opinion, i don't want to stop the speculation:
    My sense from Bush's biography is that there is nothing of Bush's behavior as president that can't be explained by his character, unsaturated by alcohol. All his life he was fairly mediocre, at least from the perspective of the positions he both apsired and was thrust in-to. We all know this, Ockam's butterknife says that we should just stick with the original explanation and conclude that he walks and talks like a shmuck because well, he is kind of a shmuck.

Draft saved Draft deleted