Is Canada as good as it gets?

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Depends upon the province. I'm partial to BC, but Alberta is as conservative as bunch of mothers at an Eagle Forum picnic in denial that they have gay sons (not all Albertans, but many). Then there's your Quebecois. I do like them thar Quebecois (men). Ontario is a nice, big mix of different folks. Montreal has its moments (but not as fun as Quebec the city IMHO). And Toronto is about as 'Mericuhn a city as Candians can copy. Still, Toronto is a stunning paradise compared to Buffalo, New York.

If you speak Portuguese and don't want to deal with the cold weather or rain, you can always go to Porto Alegre in southern Brazil. It's ranked among the top 5 places for best quality of living among all cities in the world. But then you have to learn Portuguese -- the language of 4,000 irrigular verbs!

losangelestim

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
this must be one for the foreigners.
the only place i've really had "fun" in canada was montreal. great great city! i also did some messing around in stratford, ontario, and victoria, bc but that was all small town stuff. i'm sure other countries have fun spots but there's no place like the u.s.a. for meeting horny men. everywhere i meet them, in every city and every state. it's like a miracle.

vindicator

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Personally, i love Canada. I don't think i would want to live anywhere else. It is such an ENORMOUS country with almost every ecosystem and landscape on earth including rain forests and deserts.

Everybody (at least in the east) is very open minded and generally pretty cool. There are people from all over the world here and the major cities are something to be seen. Montreal is an amazing city to visit as is Toronto and the east coast. The Rocky's are amazing to see and Vancouver has a strong chinese and asian influence.

Being so close in proximity to the US, Canadians tend to walk, talk and act like Americans reguardless of what you may have been told on TV. :tongue: The only people who say "aboot" are from the east and i have rarely if ever heard it used in Ontario.

Canadians are VERY different politically then Americans. Canada has very strong centre left and left wing ideologies. It has been said that centre-left in Canada is equivilent to far left in the US. :biggrin1: Canadians overwhelming vote for left wing parties. There are 3 major left wing parties in Canada and one conservative right wing party. Over 60% of Canadian vote for one of the left wing parties, but because of vote splitting the current government is right to far right wing and is a offshoot of the current US administrations neo-conservative policies... which is not a good thing. They have tried to resind our gay marriage laws and effectivly killed our handgun registry, national daycare program and marijuana decriminalization laws.

As far as safety, Toronto and other big cities have there moments, but in 2005 Canada only had 660 murders which is amazing for a country of 33 million people. Per capita it is 3-4 times lower then the US.

I personally also like the fact the Canada is a Commonwealth country and has a strong British heritage. We draw from the British legal system with the exception of Quebec civil law. The Queen is also our monarch. And we speel things the correct English way! :tongue: (Although we use the metric system.)

Housing prices, at least in Ontario, are RETARDED. Income taxes range from 15% to 29% for people making over $120,000. We also have a 6% GST (Goods and Services tax) which is equivilent to VAT.

We have national health care, although probably not as good as NHS since we have to pay for perscriptions, dental and eye care.

And yes, depending on where you live the weather in the winter could be bad, but places like Victoria, British Columbia or Toronto, Ontario are pretty temperate. Last year in Toronto it didn't drop below freezing until late December and only lasted until late February. And it rarely goes more then 10 degrees below freezing in Toronto. If you live in Winterpeg, Manitoba, you might be sitting at -30 celsius for 4-5 MONTHS! Same as Calgary, Alberta. Toronto in the summer is SOLID 85 degrees F, (30 C)
and in July and August can get to 100 degrees F (40 C) for 60 days straight and sunny.

If you look on a map, a large portion of the Canadian population is further south then several US states including Washington, Oregon, Idago, Montana, N Dokota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, NY, Maine and Vermont. The southern tip of Ontario is almost at the same latittude as northern California. The weather in NY state which is about 1 hour from Toronto is ALWAYS much worse. They get 3-4 times more snow then we do in Southern Ontario.

If i were to move somewhere else, i think i would probably have to say southern Florida though.

So, ya.... all in all Canada rocks.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Toronto in the summer is SOLID 85 degrees F, (30 C)
and in July and August can get to 100 degrees F (40 C) for 60 days straight and sunny.

Having lived in Toronto for a while, those numbers are a bit exaggerated. It very rarely hits 40 C, although 30 C is pretty common from June to Sept. Normal summer highs average in the mid to high 20s C.

Toronto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

vindicator

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Rob,

I guess you haven't been here lately. :tongue: I used to fly between Toronto and Dallas, Texas routinely for work and during July and August temps were almost always within a few degrees of each other. But you're right... 40C might be a tad high. But 35 is definitely consistant in July/Aug. My imperial to metric conversion failed me. I believe if you check the record highs, most have been posted within the last 7-8 years.

I should also include that the humidity here can be very bad because of the Great Lakes. 110 in Texas to me is MUCH nicer then 95 in Toronto because it's a dry heat.

Obviously this doesn't account for differences from year to year however. This year was definitely cooler then the last 5 which is not surprising considering it is a la ninia year.

D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

Account Disabled
Media
...If you live in Winterpeg, Manitoba, you might be sitting at -30 celsius for 4-5 MONTHS!

I'd just like to add that Brandon beat Winnipeg this year for "holy shit it's fucking cold." -50C for a few days, went down to a record breaking -53C too. That's about -65F I think?

Other than that it was consistently -30C to -40C all winter.

But Manitoba doesn't get a foot of snow one week, and then a foot of snow and freezing rain the next week. Sorry Toronto.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Iceland is said to have a great standard of living......but would you really want to LIVE there?

I don't give much creedence in those best places to live lists by boosters.

Canada is nice but that is like saying America is nice. Means nothing in such a large diverse country.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Before I got permanent residency in Spain (it was a quirk of fate, something 99.99% impossible to do if yer 'Mericuhn) I often thought of moving to Kelowna, BC. But then I don't golf. Still, the opportunity is there. Two colleagues have beckoned me to consider it, one of whom is a provincial judge. It's always nice to have friends who can help facilitate changing nationalities.

So, Mr. Vindicator, I thank you for the interesting update on all things Canadian. You wouldn't believe the lies fostered by many of my fellow 'Mericuhns about how bad Canada's health care system is. They just pull it out of their dirty, stinky hidey-holes and label their fear mongering as "Hillary Care" or some other such nonsense. It's as if FOX Network News has finally brainwashed the 'Mericuhn masses into believing FOX Not News is actually fair and balanced. ¡Ay, caramba! (which is how you say "Oh, my heck!" in Spanish). I fear there is little hope for my fellow 'Mericuhns.

So, what can civilized people do to help Canadians get rid of Stephen Harper? Eh?

. . . Et ta valeur, de foi trempée,
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.

Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.