Is Canada as good as it gets?

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Vancouver BC has a few palms of a fairly hardy species growing outside, and a bit mossy.

I believe the provincial capital, Victoria, on Vancouver Island, is even more hospitable to palm trees. The Gulf Islands, expecially Salt Spring Island, near the southern end of B.C. between Vancouver Island and the mainland, are also home to a number of palm trees.

In England, Cornwall (which is in the southwest corner of England, confirming SpeedoGuy's principle) has palm trees, but they're Chusan palms from the Chinese Himalayas.
Fact is, not all palm trees need a semitropical climate.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Is there general consensus then that the Vancouver area has the best climate?

I have several reasons for starting this thread. I have two close friends who are seriously thinking of emigrating from the UK to Canada soon, I meet a lot of people in the Far East who attended college in Canada and they always speak very highly of the place, and lastly, I enjoy chatting with the Canadians on this board and hearing their opinions. Is that OK?

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In England, Cornwall (which is in the southwest corner of England, confirming SpeedoGuy's principle) has palm trees, but they're Chusan palms from the Chinese Himalayas.
Fact is, not all palm trees need a semitropical climate.

Head less than 30 miles further SW and you will hit the Scilly Isles. An even better example of the effect of warm ocean currents on small islands.

Isles of Scilly - Cornwall Online

In the words of Sheryl Crow: "I've never been there, but the brochure looks nice".

barina

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Don't leave out Tasmania, Australi's little secret> Winters a bit colder than the mainland of OZ, but summers are not as hot. Very pleasant. I hour flight to the main cities of OZ. But beautiful scenery, lack of traffic, much cheaper housing. Have a check of Eaglehawk Neck where I live . Its on the web. Cheers

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
well probably just end up taking your oil

Back off. We have bi planes and tommy guns.

Is there general consensus then that the Vancouver area has the best climate?

I have several reasons for starting this thread. I have two close friends who are seriously thinking of emigrating from the UK to Canada soon...

BC is the warmest, but it rains often during the winter. I would give my left nut to play golf, tennis, or ulty right now, but I'd have the same problem in BC. If your friends have money, then SoCal would be a nicer place to live, imho.

CaligulaKant

Experimental Member
Media
Marystown (Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada)
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I have lived in many places in Canada, as a child and adult.

As far as climate is concerned the fact that there are sasons is a plus in some ways. Granted, Winnipeg's +40 C to - 40 C range is a bit much.......

I live in the mountains of Alberta, but I plan to move to coastal British Columbia. The scenery is awesome, the ocean moderates the temperature and humidity, plus Ill get to enjoy sailing when it's nice and skiing in the winter.

The biggest draw to B.C. is the broad representation of cultures, ethnicity's, religions, etc etc...

I would like to be able to be more open in my lifestyle and views. Living in northern redneck central can be depressing.

B_The Greek Dude

Experimental Member
Media
I've been thinking about moving to somewhere in Ontario ever since I turned 18. That region is actually the warmest in the country; they have the most days over 80 degrees Fahrenheit in the Summer, and the most days above 14 in the Winter. Everybody complains that it snows too much in Canada, but Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, New York, and hell. . .the entire midwest United States gets bad winters all the time. . .just ask the people in Minnesota and Chicago. Ontario's weather - assuming you don't live right on the lake - is similar to upstate New York.

I wouldn't consider Canada to be THE best place to live in the world, considering that Switzerland was recently voted to have the highest overall quality of living in the world. . .Germany has both the lowest rate of unemployment, as well as the highest paying unemployment plan, in the world. . .I believe it was Norway that was voted as the most developed country in the world. . .etc etc. However, i'll be honest and say that i'll probably never be able to afford to up-and-move to somewhere in Europe, so if I want to leave the US - which I do - Ontario's only about a day and a half drive from here.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm not sure about all the snow, but Canada seems to be a great place.

Surely there must be something wrong with this country, but it doesn't seem so.
It's not Iraq-nothing is more tranquil and serene than the sound of the wind whisking around the grains of sand on a hot summer night.

Seriously, Canada is a big place-are you talking Halifax, Saskatoon, Yellowknife, London, Vancouver or some other spot?

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
Two questions for the Canadians or those in the know:

How long and what does it take to become a citizen of Canada?
Is it true that healthcare up there is essentially free because it's paid for through citizen tax dollars?

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Two questions for the Canadians or those in the know:

How long and what does it take to become a citizen of Canada?
Is it true that healthcare up there is essentially free because it's paid for through citizen tax dollars?
First you become a Landed Immigrant (like resident alien in the US). Immigrants are required to live full time in Canada for 3 out of 4 years. Then you take some tests etc, and you can be a citizen.

Info on immigration is here: Immigrating to Canada

Yes health care is essentially paid for by taxes, employers and some user fees. The benefits vary from province to province.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Very impressive. I did not know a Convair 580 (if that is what it is) could take off with such a short run.:biggrin1: (very stealthy)
That's the recently developed Top-Secret VTOL version of the Vickers Viscount.

The photo was taken by a Chinese spy satellite and obtained by a blogger in Carrot River Saskatchewan, from a back door channel at the Iranian embassy in Ottawa. CSIS is investigating.

Hellboy0

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't know heaps about Canada. But it seems that there are a majority of hot guys with massive cocks up there in the North North American way. So in my book, it's more than ok!!!!