Is circumcision becoming more popular in UK do you think?

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by Jory, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Jory

Jory New Member

I wonder if anyone has any views on this question? There seems plenty of debate about circ on the Internet at the moment and I note that several clinics offer the procedure on demand in the London area inexpensively. Somebody must be making use of these services! At the same time there is a very strident anti-circ movement in North America. Circ has always been a sign of (upper)class origins and social privilege in Britain, hence the expression "the knobs".

2. sargon20

Gold Member

Does the mean the Windsor men are cut?

3. chico8

chico8 New Member

Foreskin removal didn't gain traction until the late 1800s. Your use of "always" is highly misleading. Even then, it wasn't that common, only about half of all the upper classes had "knobs".

4. Hellboy0

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hope this so called 'movement' doesn't gain too much ground in the UK. Not sure the folks getting in know what they're 'getting' in to or what will be missing (ex. less sensitivity, scarring, tightness of skin, discomfort).

My gay and straight friends in the US are almost unanimous in their feeling that circumcision is just another form of body mutilation. If you're an adult and you want to make that decision, then by all means do so. But don't make it for a child.

...and since Brits are so adamant in NOT being like Americans, then why do they seem to be rushing to look like them now?

5. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

The figures for circumcision in the UK being more popular now is due to the large Islamic population we have.

6. cut_81

cut_81 Member

Albums:
    I'm hoping it's on the increase

7. Matt Cohen

Matt Cohen Member

I'm sorry to say I don't think it is getting more popular in the UK.

I was circumcised aged 16 (I'm 20 now) and hardly anyone else my age has been circumcised.

I certainly am in a minority, whereas in the USA more men are cut than uncut.

I play in a rugby team, the guys are aged between 18 and mid 30's. I am the only one of the players who has been circumcised. The rest all have a foreskin. It really doesn't bother me though. The comments people make lead me to think they are actually jealous of the way my penis looks.

My Dad's side of the family is Jewish and so my male cousins on that side are all circumcised as a result of their religion. My cousins on my Mum's side (non-Jewish) are all uncut.

It is also routine for all Muslim males to be circumcised.

I think it has become less popular in the UK in the last 30 - 40 years. My Dad is 48 and he says there were lots of people his age at school who were circumcised and that is a marked difference to my experience where the majority at school had a foreskin. My mates at school were certainly stunned when I returned from a summer holiday minus my foreskin.

I don't know why people moan so much about being circumcised. I don't agree that it reduces sensation. My penis is as sensitive as when i still had my foreskin - if anything, the constant exposure means the sensitive nerves are stimulated more than before. My penis certainly looks better and girlfriends have all told me they prefer it.

I can understand someone's frustration if they have bad scarring on their penis from a bad circumcision. It is the responsibility of doctors etc to make sure that circumcisions are done properly.

I would recommend circumcision to anyone. I will certainly be having my male children circumcised. It is one of the simplist and quickest medical procedures.

8. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Would you recommend circumcision to someone who had already lost one child to an unnecessary medical procedure. There are kids who die every year from post circumcision infections.

9. frizzle

Gold Member

I still don't see what the big deal about circumsion is, I don't see why people need/want it, other than for religious purposes.

Also, I've never met a person who has been circumisied. Although it was a huge thing during the civil war.

10. Matt Cohen

Matt Cohen Member

If a kid has died as a result of an infection then I'd strongly recommend the parents sueing the doctor who did it - surely it would be the fault of equipment being used that is not sterile or as a result of a botched circumcision. Of course I do not support badly done circumcisions.

I've also heard of someone dying in a dentist's chair having a tooth removed. This would not stop me having the same procedure done myself. The risks are so small.

It is of course the responsibilities of doctors to ensure procedures are carried out correctly and by using clean and sterile equipment. It is also the responsibility of people to choose clinics / doctors etc who do circumcisions who are reliable and have a track record of doing a good job.

I hear stories of boys in Africa being circumcised with unclean equipment. In no way do I support that.

I am in favour of circumcision, but only when it is done correctly.

11. lvprcm

Gold Member

Albums:
    God I hope not. That's the one thing I have appreciated from Europeans is there sense of reason. Other than for crazy religious reasons, it's a superficial money making procedure for doctors. I have worked for a number of physician groups and its just grabs me how frequently they push procedures to improve their bottom-line that don't really improve the quality of life unless the patient has mental issues.

In true objectivity, can Jews and Muslims comment?

12. chico8

chico8 New Member

Not objectively they can't.

The BBC recently had an article on a group of jewish israeli doctors who went to Africa to perform mass circumcisions. I don't know the degree of israel's foreign aid, but it certainly seems to be a form of proselytizing if you ask me.

Steer clear of those who believe in mythical creatures and believe in human sacrifice and mutilation.

13. SteveHd

Gold Member

But, at a later age, typically teens. By that time the glans and foreskin have separated. There are fewer complications at that time.
    My circumcision was done "properly" but I have a thick dark circ. scar, divots on my glans, and a misaligned raphe. Could you understand why I dislike my "proper" circumcision that was done in a USA hospital?
    Please allow your sons to decide for themselves, as you did. Also, it's less damaging when done after the glans and foreskin have separated.

Even when done "correctly" there can be complications of infant circs, such as mine. To my knowledge, no one has died from an adult circumcision done by a physician. The same can't be said about infant circumcisions. I know of fatalies in USA, U.K., and Canada. A common cause of such death is: bleeding, leading to hypovolemic shock.

If there's no medical indication then it doesn't need to be done to a minor.

14. Charles Finn

Gold Member

Albums:
    it is as simple as don't cut babies
    how hard is that to understand?

15. lvprcm

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well said Steve. I didn't notice I had a typo on my post. I meant "their sense of reason." Sorry.

16. Damian Johnson

Damian Johnson New Member

Circumcision was only widely practiced in the UK, up to 50% of the population, during the Victorian and early post-war era.

From the 1950s onwards it has been concentrated in the key urban areas where you get a high cosmopolitan mixture of people - in Greater London around 25% of the population is circumcised and in the very centre the figure is higher. Similarly in Manchester and Leeds where there are high migrant populations the % of circumcised lads is also higher.

In addition, its not age linked - lads with a background from Africa, Asia, America tend to often be circumcised - in African and America it is cultural rather than religious. As the Muslim population around the world has grown and grown (its the fastest growing religion) so the % of circumcised males has grown to 1 in 5 of the worlds males.

I have lived in London most of my life and at my gym around 50% of the lads are circumcised. When I was growing up in London there were lots of circumcised guys in the capital and still are.

If you live in the Scottish highlands, Cornwall or West Wales I think the % is obviously lower - but in the big cities you get lots of cut guys. Britain has always been very cosmopolitan and multicultural and this will never change so the proportion of cut guys will never disappear.

Damian

17. Jason

Gold Member

I'm not aware of a movement towards more circumcision in the UK - I certainly hope there isn't!

The UK has accepted a very large number of moslem migrants, many from cultures that accept circumcision. This might cause an upward blip in the figures. This would reflect the incresed number of a particular faith group, not a general movement in the indigenous population. Circumcision is not available on demand through the NHS (it is performed only for rare medical needs), which means the only way for parents to have their sons mutilated is to pay a private "doctor". Such clinics do exist and do advertise. Presumably they will be legislated out of existence in the next few years as human rights laws trickle down through the whole legal system. Presumably there will be lots of cases of conflict with faith groups who belive that because their faith advocates child abuse then there should be some special dispensation - which of course cannot be given.

Circumcision has always been rare in the UK. It seems to be correct that the royal family and leading aristocrats adopted this practice towards the end of the Victorian age, which is a clear example of the aristocrats setting a bad example. However it is probably the case today that most boys of Jewish parentage in the UK are not circumcised. As a gym user in a British city I can say that circumcision in Britain remains very rare indeed.

18. Damian Johnson

Damian Johnson New Member

Well its not rare in London :biggrin1:

19. Viking_UK

Gold Member

I don't know which gym you go to, Damian, but having lived in London for over ten years and played a variety of sports, I think I've only seen about a dozen cut guys, some of whom were Moslem and Jewish. Maybe it's different south of the Thames, but I think most Londoners are intact.

20. London_Calling

London_Calling New Member

Viking, I was thinking the same thing! I've lived in London all my life and had my fair share of dicks here and the only cut cock I've come accross was an American boyfriend of mine living in London 20 years ago. Sure there must be some cut cocks in the gym but it is London, tourists come & go all the time and use central London gyms. A friend of mine was cut last year due to a rare problem but out of a large group of friends, he is the only one cut..

Draft saved Draft deleted