Is disco appropriate for a memorial service?

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Whatever would have honored and pleased the deceased is appropriate for the service in my opinion. Why does there have to be conventionality ???

Its all about remembering the departed one, and if they liked disco, so be it... My mother LOVED the color purple, so I attended the memorial service ALL dressed in purple.

Its more disrespectful to LOSE the identity of the person you are memorializing.

Like I have expressed before, I never knew the "Sister Sledge" part of my friend. I only knew her to love country. She played country music a lot.

If she played "We Are Family" or "The Greatest Dancer" a lot...maybe that would've translated well with me because I knew that she liked Sister Sledge.

I never am disrespectful of a person who has passed on. But I won't get up and shake my ass in a funeral parlor. Those beyotches on the show SIX FEET UNDER can do that at their funeral parlor memorial room (LOL)...but because it was cool at my friend's funeral doesn't mean that it is in good taste to do so. Again, I respect the deceased, family and friends who made the decision as part of the final arrangements.

B_theOtherJJ

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Like I have expressed before, I never knew the "Sister Sledge" part of my friend. I only knew her to love country. She played country music a lot.

If she played "We Are Family" or "The Greatest Dancer" a lot...maybe that would've translated well with me because I knew that she liked Sister Sledge.

I never am disrespectful of a person who has passed on. But I won't get up and shake my ass in a funeral parlor. Those beyotches on the show SIX FEET UNDER can do that at their funeral parlor memorial room (LOL)...but because it was cool at my friend's funeral doesn't mean that it is in good taste to do so. Again, I respect the deceased, family and friends who made the decision as part of the final arrangements.

Hey Invisible, please DONT think my comment was a personal attack of you. Of course it wasnt. It was merely my opinion on your post and how I feel about it. I generally respect everyones opinions and right to have them, although I often may not agree.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Thanks, buddy. I appreciate that.

A funeral, memorial service, wake, or what ever your want to call them. Is a rememberance of, or a glorification of the departed. How you or someone wants to celebrate that can vary.

Oh, I got educated last night on that. For real. :smile:

The strangest one I attended was my Grandfathers which was video taped to send to a friend who could not attend. It felt more like a party than a funeral.

That is another thing too. Videotaping and taking pics at a funeral. I could never ever do that. My cousin. My sister. And brother did that at my mom's and other relatives' funerals.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hey Invisible, please DONT think my comment was a personal attack of you. Of course it wasnt. It was merely my opinion on your post and how I feel about it. I generally respect everyones opinions and right to have them, although I often may not agree.

Oh, I wasn't offended, JJ. I was just clarifying my positions so that peeps understand me better.

See, I have been to a lot of funerals and memorial services for some dear friends and family members. I never been to one service that had a disco song at the end of the service...until last night. :rolleyes::smile:

I respect everyone's opinions and right to have them...even when I don't agree with them...also. I am a stickler for freedom of speech. It is a big world and the people aren't going to agree on a lot more subject matters/issues...but that doesn't mean it is the end of the world. Or that we won't agree on other things.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
When my father died, it was a typical funeral. After the burial service, we all headed back to my mom's house for food and crap. Of course, I couldn't handle it. I went and got drunk at the local bar.

After my mom's funeral, I went in my room that night. I drank a little 200 mL bottle of sparkling wine. And made me two good glasses of bocci ball cocktails sans vodka.
(I had a fifth of amaretto and cold no pulp orange juice.)

I went to bed. I slept all the way to the afternoon of the next day. I felt like shit. My circadian rhythm was off for a week because of the stress. I eventually got over the grief and all. I just went to bed. Sleep is a good stress reducer.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think that whatever the deceased wanted is what should be done. I've been to a funeral where several people got up and sang different songs and some were happy songs that made me smile and some made me cry.

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My parents didn’t believe in any kind of funeral services, when both passed it was cremation with the ashes scattered at sea ….by their last wishes my brothers and sisters bought a pair of trees to be planted in the lunch court of a school we kids went too. (which are tall and shady after all these years)​

I tell my friends I want a classic Viking funeral and one hell of a party afterwards … the kind they need the National Guard to break up:eek::biggrin1:

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Depends on the personality of the deceased...I had a friend who died unexpectedly a few years ago and as they were carrying the casket to the car they had "wanna be a balla" playing over the speakers because he listened to that song just about everyday and we all knew he would have loved that. Funerals are about what the deceased would want, not what the crowd wants...

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Depends on the personality of the deceased...I had a friend who died unexpectedly a few years ago and as they were carrying the casket to the car they had "wanna be a balla" playing over the speakers because he listened to that song just about everyday and we all knew he would have loved that. Funerals are about what the deceased would want, not what the crowd wants...

I agree totally. Again with regard to my late friend...I never knew she liked Sister Sledge. All I remember her playing is country. I guess that is part of the reason why I took offense to it. And it didn't help that it was in a memorial chapel at a funeral parlor.

I respected the deceased and her friend's and family's wishes...I just didn't get up and dance like they did in the memorial chapel. I thought that it was disrespectful. It is just a matter of differences. That is all.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My parents didn’t believe in any kind of funeral services, when both passed it was cremation with the ashes scattered at sea ….by their last wishes my brothers and sisters bought a pair of trees to be planted in the lunch court of a school we kids went too. (which are tall and shady after all these years)

I tell my friends I want a classic Viking funeral and one hell of a party afterwards … the kind they need the National Guard to break up:eek::biggrin1:

Man. That is really cool.

My family is really different in that regard. How I reacted to my late friend's last selection and how people were dancing and all. It wasn't and didn't feel right by me.

Last edited:

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
There is a time and place for everything. I think that if a person has a funeral service (body present) or memorial service (no body--just the urn or nothing) in a secular location like the clubhouse at their country club, or a school auditorium, or even a funeral home, etc, there is nothing wrong with secular music if it is what the deceased liked and it means something to the family, too. I feel that if a funeral will take place within a religious edifice, the music must fit in that group's rules/regulations.

Having worked as a funeral director and also as a church musician, I have seen both sides. A funeral is for the living, not for the dead. If the living want to honor the deceased with disco music, it's fine. If they only want to use favorite hymns, that's fine. Most churches, synagogues, and other religious houses of worship view a funeral as a religious service and probably won't allow Sister Sledge to be played. When I worked full time at a funeral home, I would suggest that they play the music during the viewing or wake and people always were responsive to that suggestion.

I know that at my church, pre-recorded music is not allowed to be played at a service.
Secular music is not allowed during services, either, so even if someone were to play the piano and sing a secular song, the ministers would suggest the song be used at another place.

If the service is taking place somewhere secular, like a clubhouse, the only thing that limits what is played is the sound system. If they don't have one, it might be piano only, so you better have a good musician to play a song. I have been asked to play all kinds of stuff in funeral homes and gladly did it.

I think a funeral should be a celebration of the life lived, not a mournful time. The book of Ecclesiastes even says "there is a time to mourn and a time to dance." If dancing to Sister Sledge makes the survivors think of the good memories, that's great.
If an old gospel hymn gives the family comfort, fine. They should be personal.
There is just a time and a place for everything and disco in church might not work, but at the wake it would be fun.

My personal thought is that Sister Sledge in the funeral home is ok and I'm glad that the family thought "outside the box" and did something non-traditional. I would have been surprised if a church allowed that song, which is why many people opt to have services at funeral homes or in other places. There is no rule or regulation about where you have the funeral service, so do what you want within the context of the selected location.

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
despite your consternation at the musical choice, it sounds like she would have loved that. that being said, it was HER service so if that was a song she fancied played with people she loved as her surrogate family, then i say good for her.
the best funerals and services i have been to have been of deceased bon vivants. their only instructions were to have spectacular party with great music, fantastic food and unending alcohol. they wanted their funerals/memorial services to reflect them as they were in life which i think is the most appropriate way go about such an event.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
A friend's father knew he was dying and planned the music for his own funeral.
He was carried into the crematorium to Bat Out Of Hell and they played Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life as he went through the curtains - or tried to. The CD kept jumping and everyone said, "Yeah, that's *****, having a last laugh."

It's all about the deceased and their loved ones. Not everyone wants a sombre funeral. I certainly don't when my time comes.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
There is a time and place for everything. I think that if a person has a funeral service (body present) or memorial service (no body--just the urn or nothing) in a secular location like the clubhouse at their country club, or a school auditorium, or even a funeral home, etc, there is nothing wrong with secular music if it is what the deceased liked and it means something to the family, too. I feel that if a funeral will take place within a religious edifice, the music must fit in that group's rules/regulations.

That was the situation. There was no viewing of the body. The internment was private. It was a memorial service at the funeral parlor's memorial chapel.

Having worked as a funeral director and also as a church musician, I have seen both sides. A funeral is for the living, not for the dead. If the living want to honor the deceased with disco music, it's fine. If they only want to use favorite hymns, that's fine. Most churches, synagogues, and other religious houses of worship view a funeral as a religious service and probably won't allow Sister Sledge to be played. When I worked full time at a funeral home, I would suggest that they play the music during the viewing or wake and people always were responsive to that suggestion.

I know that at my church, pre-recorded music is not allowed to be played at a service.
Secular music is not allowed during services, either, so even if someone were to play the piano and sing a secular song, the ministers would suggest the song be used at another place.

YEP, most definately. The memorial service was religious...but that last song just rubbed me the wrong way...considering the circumstances.

If the service is taking place somewhere secular, like a clubhouse, the only thing that limits what is played is the sound system. If they don't have one, it might be piano only, so you better have a good musician to play a song. I have been asked to play all kinds of stuff in funeral homes and gladly did it.

I think a funeral should be a celebration of the life lived, not a mournful time. The book of Ecclesiastes even says "there is a time to mourn and a time to dance."
Well, you know what, Prep. Someone Monday morning called me and told me on the phone that she had died last Friday night. And they were going to have the service Monday night at the funeral parlor. I guess that it wasn't my time to "Sister Sledge" just yet. :smile:

If dancing to Sister Sledge makes the survivors think of the good memories, that's great.

If an old gospel hymn gives the family comfort, fine. They should be personal.

I respect and understand all that.

There is just a time and a place for everything and disco in church might not work, but at the wake it would be fun.

I dunno...but that is just me. I have been to my mom's and one of my aunt's wakes. If "Sister Sledge" were played on a little cheap EMERSON boom box...I think I would be a little more than unnerved.

My personal thought is that Sister Sledge in the funeral home is ok and I'm glad that the family thought "outside the box" and did something non-traditional.

I would have been surprised if a church allowed that song, which is why many people opt to have services at funeral homes or in other places. There is no rule or regulation about where you have the funeral service, so do what you want within the context of the selected location.

Yeah. I understand.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
A friend's father knew he was dying and planned the music for his own funeral.
He was carried into the crematorium to Bat Out Of Hell and they played Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life as he went through the curtains - or tried to. The CD kept jumping and everyone said, "Yeah, that's *****, having a last laugh."

It's all about the deceased and their loved ones. Not everyone wants a somber funeral. I certainly don't when my time comes.

Yeah. I respect that.

Well, with me...Funerals are sad yet reverent. You are paying your last respects. If I had a family member or a friend die that was important and mean a lot to me...I wouldn't want to hear disco piped on a shitty boombox at the memorial service or wake either.

I wouldn't have minded going to a post-memorial reception at a club and they played Sister Sledge...Dolly Parton...Patsy Cline...Carrie Underwood...Vanity 6 in her memory through a full PA system. My lesbian friend loved those artists.