Is England a Failed Nation?

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
England/the UK can be perceived as a 'failed' nation due to the previous Labour governent, much like the US is a failed nation due to the current Obama administration

Crap!! now it will just be a Privatised nation with no public services with ConDem. Anyway, what about all the other nations that are facing financial difficulties?, Is that our fault too?

Last edited:

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
NO'

Geuss in a silly way can go back to Alf Garnett days
when i felt ..
GOOD Job England' getting yr comeuppance
Raped the World Centuries ago, (as did other explorers)
then taking in all & sundry
PAYBACK
She,ll come right again, just a downer period fr now
me thinks
enz

In saying that British Royalty Rules
then again, hope the British and French are not now leading the World in War Mongering, with the expectation of re-building there nations? in the future.
Wars for Wealth'

I like the soundtrack. :biggrin1: Does a 'full MoT' involve me, or are you just talking about the Jaguar we're driving to Stonehenge? :confused: I can't imagine what the former would involve - I'm far too innocent! :newangel:
Of course it does. :wink: And it involves a thorough once-over, obviously. :tongue:

You can borrow mine ffs. Only stipulation is that CA has to collect and return :cool:. Well, not while I'm not there :rolleyes: :wink:
Can I? I'm good at 'borrowing' stuff when ppl aren't there. ;)

This soundtrack is more like it (after 20 secs).

Last edited by a moderator:

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
England/the UK can be perceived as a 'failed' nation due to the previous Labour governent, much like the US is a failed nation due to the current Obama administration
Oh yes, because powerful nations rise and fall on one administration, and with a black, 'communist', 'Kenyan' in the White House we're all doomed. :rolleyes:

hmmm.... now that I think of it, we were at the edge of a precipice at the end of the previous administration, weren't we? So I guess it can happen. :suspect:

Anyhoo.... let's ignore the trolls.... more for the soundtrack. :smile:

curious_angel

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I like the soundtrack. :biggrin1: Does a 'full MoT' involve me, or are you just talking about the Jaguar we're driving to Stonehenge? :confused: I can't imagine what the former would involve - I'm far too innocent! :newangel:
There's only one MoT, surely?

Innocent? Really? You wouldn't know how to check under my bonnet for fluid leaks, pressurise my airbags, or test my suspension? I'm shocked, but willing to guide you. :smile:

You can borrow mine ffs. Only stipulation is that CA has to collect and return :cool:. Well, not while I'm not there :rolleyes: :wink:
A joyride in Drifter's Jag. :cool:That's actually quite a tongue twister.

Hee. I thought my soundtrack was a good fit, but yours is so much better.

Of course it does. :wink: And it involves a thorough once-over, obviously. :tongue:

Can I? I'm good at 'borrowing' stuff when ppl aren't there. ;)

This soundtrack is more like it (after 20 secs).
Joll, I luv you an' all BUT, don't even think about playing that track in Drifter's Jag while I'm driving. I will be forced to deploy the ejector seat.

Holy misquote, Tardis. :eek: You managed to make Joll's words appear as Drifter's. Perhaps I'm missing a subtle ventriloquist's trick here? :confused:

Gotta love Dame Vera. :heart:

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
PS - as Jason will testify, God is of course English.

I've been steering clear of this thread. And in view of Drifterwood's eloquent post I don't think there's been any need for me to add my pennyworth on matters of substance - UK/England has much to be proud of (including Drifterwood, as he points out!) So I'll add my pennyworth on matters of non-substance.

The unofficial anthem of England - Jerusalem - states that Christ walked in England (the author William Blake said that He walked and talked with Adam in the Garden of Eden, situated in Lambeth, England - so the walk was 4004BC). As we all know the English can't speak funny foreign languages they must have talked in English. And as God is perfect he must have spoken perfect English. Which really must make Him an Englishman.

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Grrr, u thwarter. I had other ideas for ur spanner, sunshine. :wink:
*thinks hard* Oh! What!? :eek: How dare you!? What you're talking about wouldn't involve an insurance certificate, would it? :wink:

There's only one MoT, surely?
:redface: You charming angel!

Innocent? Really? You wouldn't know how to check under my bonnet for fluid leaks, pressurise my airbags, or test my suspension? I'm shocked, but willing to guide you. :smile:
Nah, I've been pulling your leg. I'm actually a fully qualified maintenance engineer. And I have satisfied customers to prove it. :tongue: I don't charge though, my payment is job satisfaction alone. Your leak sounds like a common issue - I often encounter it. A little applied pressure and the right tools will solve that problem for you. Your airbags require good nipple adjustment and a little spanner action, that should do the trick. Suspension is always easy to test. The correct technique, spring and depth adjustment is necessary - but I'm sure you don't mind that. I can also lube your exhaust and conduct an examination, but those aren't always popular. :tongue:

ColonialBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Do you think that the England has failed as a nation in everything and as a people? Failed in looking after its people, failed in business and industry, failed in its position in the world, failed in developing its potential, failed as a leading nation in technology, trade and commerce, failed in developing its own infrastructure, etc.
I think Enland very old fashioned & stodgy.

England many have established Australia as a colony but now we look to the New World (ie USA) for ideas. Up until WWII Australia was a major exporter to the UK, now we look to asia for export markets & import culture from the US, nobody here cares less what England does anymore. The only real tie left is sport.

Last edited:

I think England very old fashioned & stodgy.

England many have established Australia as a colony but now we look to the New World (ie USA) for ideas. Up until WWII Australia was a major exporter to the UK, now we look to our asian neighbours for export markets & to the for US television/entertainment, nobody here cares less what England does anymore.
Especially in stuff like the Ashes? or Prince Wills' Ozzie tour?

I think...your view of England/UK may be slightly outdated man. Good job we've got the Aussie soaps to keep tabs on current trends Down Under, to avoid a similar amount of ignorance on our part. :wink:

I like how you edited your post to include sport, after I posted mine. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
Especially in stuff like the Ashes? or Prince Wills' Ozzie tour?

I think...your view of England/UK may be slightly outdated man. Good job we've got the Aussie soaps to keep tabs on current trends Down Under, to avoid a similar amount of ignorance on our part. :wink:

Here, here, neighbours, Sons and Daughters, Cell block H, all outdated trash.

D

deleted3782

Will the youths of England make your country again a royal throne of kings, a sceptered isle, for all the world a source of light, a center of Peace; a mistress of learning and of the Arts, faithful guardian of time-tried principles? This is what England must do or perish. She must found colonies as fast and as far as she is able, formed of her most energetic and worthiest men; seizing any piece of fruitful waste ground she can set her foot on, and there teaching these her colonists that their chief virtue is to be fidelity to their country, and their first aim is to advance the power of England by land and sea. All that I ask you is to have a fixed purpose of some kind for your country and for yourselves, no matter how restricted, so that it be fixed and unselfish.

-John Ruskin's Oxford Address, 1870

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
... All that I ask you is to have a fixed purpose of some kind for your country and for yourselves, no matter how restricted, so that it be fixed and unselfish.

-John Ruskin's Oxford Address, 1870

And yet that lofty goal (the part I left out) seems surprisingly selfish. But no more selfish than America's Manifest Destiny Doctrine from the same century. America just had more land of its own to colonize before it went out and started annexing island nations.